Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax 16-45mm f4

Hey everyone.

I recently picked up a Pentax K5 as a way for a "soft reset" for my photography since its been around 10 years since dropping my Nikon Dslrs for mirrorless cameras. Something more or less to play with and I have never owned any digital Pentax cameras so I figured now would be a good time to give them a shot. I was looking around for some lenses and I stumbled upon what seems to be a really good deal ($80) on a Pentax 16-45mm f4. I've spent most of my photographic life shooting primes and this has peaked my interest in an effort to try something different.

So I am curious if anyone on here has any experience with this lens?

Thanks!

Aaron

I have the 16-45mm f4.

I bought it with my K-3 II a few years back and took it on vacation.

For a zoom I was very pleased with the optics. The sharpness ranged from "pretty good!" to "was that my prime?". When it wasn't "wow sharp" I could give it a little bump in post-processing and be happy. Colors were also nice.

• Constant f4: nice
  • Non-rotating front element: nice
  • Auto focus: "good enough" ... I don't have wild expectations here but it seems fine to me.
  • Manual focus: also nice to work with
  • Optics: great to fantastic.
  • Value: awesome. punches above it's weight optically
  • Screw drive: no funny motors to die on you

I still own the lens but I don't really use it much ( my daughter does though ). The only real issue with it is the build. It's not terrible but just average? To me it just felt a bit cheap mounted to a survive-the-apocalypse K3/K5. For example, the zoom does this hard plastic bang at either end. The barrel is a bit sloppy when fully extended and if I shake my lens it has a slight rattle. Again, not bad but just didn't give that awesome feeling. For the right price, and to fill a gap... it could be a great buy. I'd rather have good optics and sub-par build than sub-par optics and good build.

Cons:

• build ( clunky operation and wobbly barrel when extended )
  • screw drive: loud? bah, screw drive doesn't really bother me
  • not weather sealed ( this doesn't really bother me either )

All that said, I'm a fan of the Sigma lenses from that era ( EX line ). People love or hate the build on those. I like them. I have the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX. To me it's a subtle but important step up from the 16-45 in both optics (subtle) and build (more than subtle). But, the Sigma would likely cost you more.

I'll throw up a few random shots I took on my trip with the 16-45 lens.

Uploaded files:
  • 20200916042743-da390925-xx.jpg
  • 20200916042712-1b8265d4-xx.jpg
  • 20200916043132-b26a5836-xx.jpg
  • 20200916042642-306d3d09-xx.jpg
  • i.php_.jpeg
James Warner, Daniel Gonzalez and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerDaniel GonzalezEckyH

By the way, welcome to the forum Aaron!

I've never shot the 16-45, but I think @grover thoughts covered it really well. Other options could include the 18-135 which isn't too much more used (often $120ish nowadays). It's versatile and can be quite good. I shot with the DA 18-135 for years. That sigma 17-50 f2.8 is quite nice from what I hear and probably closer to $150-200.

I'm getting further off the topic, but the DA 35mm f2.4 is a cheap but good prime that I'm using right now. I have been extremely impressed by the quality for what is such a cheap lens. Feels cheap (plastic) but optically nice. Gives you that nifty fifty field of view on APS-C

Welcome to the forum, by the way! Thanks for joining us over here. Looking forward to seeing some shots and hearing more from you.

grover has reacted to this post.
grover
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thank you both for the feedback! I actually just scored a 35mm 2.4 off ebay for pretty cheap. excited for it to come in. I'm hoping this K5 pairs well with my Ricoh GR and GRiiix

grover

I had one. Sold it to buy the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.

The Pentax is light and a nice cheap lens I'd say.
I do recommend the 16-45mm f4 it usually does a great job.

grover
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from grover on June 22, 2022, 9:15 pm

I have the 16-45mm f4.

I bought it with my K-3 II a few years back and took it on vacation.

For a zoom I was very pleased with the optics. The sharpness ranged from "pretty good!" to "was that my prime?". When it wasn't "wow sharp" I could give it a little bump in post-processing and be happy. Colors were also nice.

• Constant f4: nice
  • Non-rotating front element: nice
  • Auto focus: "good enough" ... I don't have wild expectations here but it seems fine to me.
  • Manual focus: also nice to work with
  • Optics: great to fantastic.
  • Value: awesome. punches above it's weight optically
  • Screw drive: no funny motors to die on you

I still own the lens but I don't really use it much ( my daughter does though ). The only real issue with it is the build. It's not terrible but just average? To me it just felt a bit cheap mounted to a survive-the-apocalypse K3/K5. For example, the zoom does this hard plastic bang at either end. The barrel is a bit sloppy when fully extended and if I shake my lens it has a slight rattle. Again, not bad but just didn't give that awesome feeling. For the right price, and to fill a gap... it could be a great buy. I'd rather have good optics and sub-par build than sub-par optics and good build.

Cons:

• build ( clunky operation and wobbly barrel when extended )
  • screw drive: loud? bah, screw drive doesn't really bother me
  • not weather sealed ( this doesn't really bother me either )

All that said, I'm a fan of the Sigma lenses from that era ( EX line ). People love or hate the build on those. I like them. I have the Sigma 17-50 f2.8 EX. To me it's a subtle but important step up from the 16-45 in both optics (subtle) and build (more than subtle). But, the Sigma would likely cost you more.

I'll throw up a few random shots I took on my trip with the 16-45 lens.

I can only add: That says everything I had to coment.
I have had both, now I own the Sigma.

Grover covers everything you need to know, I believe. Great job!

grover
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo