Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Panasonic LX7 - Capable Compact Camera!

I recently bought a Panasonic LX7 as I wanted something compact to compliment my "oversized" APS-C and Full-frame cameras. Originally, I wanted a 1-inch sensor but lost in a couple of auctions. I then came across the LX7.

XPRO8745 by Tristan Carlos, on Flickr

It has a 1/1.7" sensor, sturdy metal body, made in Japan, f1.4 aperture on the wide end and f2.3 on the longest end which is pretty good. Worth mentioning are the aperture ring, 1080p AVCHD, pop-up flash, 3-stop ND filter, decent live view resolution, and almost pocketable size (not quite RX100 territory).

It has an optional 1.4M dot detachable viewfinder which is also compatible with the GX1. 1.4M dot EVF for a compact is unheard of. Magnification is 0.7x too! Crazy big for a compact camera! Not to mention, it has a hot shoe!

My conclusion is that it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a new compact camera and the sensor size is not ideal but the f1.4 compensates for it. Having a hot shoe means I can use off-camera flash which is a big bonus. The EVF (LVF2) is awesome.

Definitely an old camera worth a look!

P1030180 by Tristan Carlos, on Flickr

P1030046 by Tristan Carlos, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawaddenniscrommett

I would agree the f1.4 makes a big difference here. You need to let in as much light as possible for these small sensors to keep the ISO down!

Great looking camera. It is one that has been on my radar in the past. Seems like a good price nowadays. That garden picture is lovely, where was that?

And cool you have the optional viewfinder.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
Happy snappin' 🙂

Great looking camera. It is one that has been on my radar in the past. Seems like a good price nowadays. That garden picture is lovely, where was that?

Thanks! Yeah I wasn't really planning on buying one. I wanted a 1-inch sensor at least but I got it for 70 EUR with less than 1500 clicks. The EVF was a little bit extra so not sure if that was a smart move budget-wise but I also got it for below market price.

The garden photo is from my mother-in-law's garden. It's her lifetime hobby. 🙂

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from tristancarlos on September 20, 2021, 6:26 am

Thanks! Yeah I wasn't really planning on buying one. I wanted a 1-inch sensor at least but I got it for 70 EUR with less than 1500 clicks. The EVF was a little bit extra so not sure if that was a smart move budget-wise but I also got it for below market price.

The garden photo is from my mother-in-law's garden. It's her lifetime hobby. 🙂

I see these pop up on my local listings from time to time for dirt cheap, and I'd like to pick one up to goof around with.  That's an incredible garden!