Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Olympus Pen D2, a game of zone focus roulette

Inspired by Jame's Olympus Pen F video, I was instantly drawn to the coolness and concept of half frame photography.ย  I decided to take up the Olympus Pen D2 for my introduction to the format.ย  I was attracted by the compact form and the fast 32mm F1.9 lens.ย  Most importantly, the camera doesn't need a functioning light meter to operate. This was also my first experience into owning and shooting a rangefinder,with the difficult task of zone focusing.

I found the controls very pleasant and design tactile. The shutter speeds topped out at a 1/500th of a sec, which is very fast for a camera of the early 60s. Both the aperture and shutter rings were declicked and smooth.ย  The daunting task of zone focusing wasn't too bad either, if I was nervous about depth of field, I stopped down to F7.1-11 alot. It seemed to work, I'd say I got about 65-70% of my shots in focus.

The ultimate fun, was unrolling my uncut roll of 24 exp Kodak 200 Gold fresh from the lab, and seeing all the negatives.ย  The biggest downfall of half frame, scanning and prints, it's gonna take a while so crank up an audiobook or podcast.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot_20210721-181428-662.png
  • Untitled-72.jpg
  • Untitled-7-2.jpg
  • Untitled-6-2.jpg
  • Untitled-3-2.jpg
Beau Carpenter and Gawad have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterGawad

What a brilliant looking camera in that bright orange! I really like the 60s aesthetic. Great subject matter for the shots. I have yet to shoot a rangefinder. Closest I got was my xpro1 and turning off the EVF overlay ๐Ÿ™‚ So not very close.

And yes seeing the half-frame film developed is very fun. I developed my own rolls, cut and scanned them. Good idea about the audiobook ๐Ÿ˜‰

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚
Quote from Snappy on July 22, 2021, 12:53 am

What a brilliant looking camera in that bright orange! I really like the 60s aesthetic. Great subject matter for the shots. I have yet to shoot a rangefinder. Closest I got was my xpro1 and turning off the EVF overlay ๐Ÿ™‚ So not very close.

And yes seeing the half-frame film developed is very fun. I developed my own rolls, cut and scanned them. Good idea about the audiobook ๐Ÿ˜‰

I may or may not have mainly bought this D2 for that orange leatherette lol, so Iโ€™d like to invoke my 5th amendment rights. ย I got it from a camera shop in Tokyo, they had all kinds of funky colored reskinned SLRโ€™s and Rangefinders!

It feels really good in the palm of your hand too. ย And it has the same shutter button as your Pen F, I forgot to mention. I recall you raving about it ๐Ÿ˜‰ ย Iโ€™m now curious about using a rangefinder with a focusing plane to see how it feels to me.

Nice! Always felt like half frame cameras had an underappreciated potential. Scanning takes forever though...

I thought I posted some pics from my Mercury II, but I can't seem to find the post so here are some!

The colors from the Mercury II's lens is super unique too!

In the end I feel like it's one of those cameras that I just don't shoot enough.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency