Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Olympus e-500 in Ecuador

Page 1 of 2Next

All captured with a 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 lens and presented in the original 4:3 aspect ratio (a big challenge for me). Even though it missed focus a lot more than my 5D, I enjoyed this combo.

I'm sometimes tempted by the APS-C CCD cameras from Pentax and Sony, but I'm not sure that they would feel like that much of an upgrade.

Uploaded files:
  • P1010929.JPG
  • P1011335.JPG
  • P1011703.JPG
  • P1011873.JPG
  • P1012103.JPG
James Warner, SpruceBruce and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBrucePaul WilkinsonThePrettyDamnedEckyH

Great photographs! The view over the city and the woman looking out of the window are my favourites.

I'm sometimes tempted by the APS-C CCD cameras from Pentax and Sony, but I'm not sure that they would feel like that much of an upgrade.

After a quick spec check I think that your assumption is right. As far as I know the Pentax K10D is the latest Pentax DSLR with CCD sensor and is probably similar to your E-500: no live view, relatively low usable ISO (wouldn't go higher than ISO800), no electronic level, much less dynamic range than the CMOS based cameras. Nevertheless I like the K10D and on overcast days it is my preferred camera.

So If you like to try out a Pentax camera which is a remarkable upgrade I'd recommend a K-5 or a K-5II(s). They are relatively affordable, have a very good sensor, (for me) better ergonomics than the K10D, better shake reduction and have plenty of useful features. If you are not afraid of changing the solenoid (if it fails), then a K-50 might be a cheaper option.

E.

SpruceBruce and QuickHitRecord have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceQuickHitRecord
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from QuickHitRecord on November 5, 2022, 6:08 pm

All captured with a 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 lens and presented in the original 4:3 aspect ratio (a big challenge for me). Even though it missed focus a lot more than my 5D, I enjoyed this combo.

I think you're right in that assumption - practically speaking I don't think it would make much of a difference from that same era. Although both the Pentax and Sony's are beautiful cameras, and the native access to Pentax/Minolta vintage lenses is pretty sweet.

By 5d do you mean the Canon 5d classic or the Minolta DSLR?

Those pictures are lovely by the way! Despite being challenged by that aspect ratio, I think you nailed those compositions. So much story in those images.

SpruceBruce and QuickHitRecord have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceQuickHitRecord
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from EckyH on November 5, 2022, 9:26 pm

Great photographs! The view over the city and the woman looking out of the window are my favourites.

Thanks! I'll attach a few more from that trip.

So If you like to try out a Pentax camera which is a remarkable upgrade I'd recommend a K-5 or a K-5II(s). They are relatively affordable, have a very good sensor, (for me) better ergonomics than the K10D, better shake reduction and have plenty of useful features. If you are not afraid of changing the solenoid (if it fails), then a K-50 might be a cheaper option.

I have been a Canon 5Diii shooter for the last ten years and it continues to be my main workhorse. However, sometimes it's nice to be challenged by the limitations of an older camera and I have a few to scratch that itch. I've been tempted by the K10D but I'm really trying to recover from a decade of jumping back and forth between old Nikkor AI-S lenses that focus in one direction and Canon EF glass (used for my video work) that focuses in the other direction. It turns out that I'm not able to adapt as easily as some. So really this rules out Pentax and Nikon for me. I haven't had the Olympus E-500 for that long, and I really do like it. I think that it's well-balanced and comfortable to hold. I do wish the focus was a little more reliable, and the combination of liveview and a 17-20mm prime would make it more useful for street photography. Minolta/Sony can offer that, but their grips looks pretty uncomfortable, which is a huge deal to me.

Uploaded files:
  • P1012373.JPG
  • P1012693.JPG
  • P1012805.JPG
  • P1012838.JPG
  • P1012902.JPG
James Warner, SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceEckyH
Quote from James Warner on November 6, 2022, 12:50 am

Although both the Pentax and Sony's are beautiful cameras, and the native access to Pentax/Minolta vintage lenses is pretty sweet.

I think what I am most envious of in other systems is the selection of lenses. I have three Four Thirds lenses:

Zuiko Digital 14–54mm F2.8–3.5 ED
Zuiko Digital 11–22mm F2.8–3.5 ED
Zuiko Digital ED 25mm F2.8

They are all very nice, but the first two are pretty bulky. All three cost a lot more than most of the Minolta AF lenses out there. It's a mystery to me why lenses for these cameras that almost no one is using anymore still cost so much. Probably because they were never made in large enough quantities.

The Canon 5Diii. Even though it's a decade old at this point, I still don't consider it to be an "old" camera because I still have no hesitation grabbing it when a client wants me to snap a few stills on a video shoot (my main gig). The pictures still stack up well next to anything from the last year or two. But I'm sure that it won't be long before the next generation of YouTubers discover this camera as a retro curiosity and make me feel like even more of a dinosaur!

I was thinking about picking up a Minolta 5D at one point, but I keep reading that over time the IBIS fails/gets stuck in a lot of these cameras, resulting in inaccurate framing, so it can be a bit of a gamble. And the Sony's are newer, have a higher megapixel count, and cost the same.

Those pictures are lovely by the way! Despite being challenged by that aspect ratio, I think you nailed those compositions. So much story in those images.

That's one of the best compliments I have received! I'm always trying to tell a story, so it means a lot.

Keep up the great work with the YouTube videos. Your enthusiasm comes through and I always enjoy them. Your channel, Shutter Slaps, and One Month Two Cameras are breathing new life back into these old, forgotten cameras and it's fun to be along for the ride.

A beautiful selection of images. I especially love the one on the swing and the one of the woman looking out of the window!

Quote from QuickHitRecord on November 6, 2022, 7:49 am
Quote from James Warner on November 6, 2022, 12:50 am

Although both the Pentax and Sony's are beautiful cameras, and the native access to Pentax/Minolta vintage lenses is pretty sweet.

I think what I am most envious of in other systems is the selection of lenses. I have three Four Thirds lenses:

Zuiko Digital 14–54mm F2.8–3.5 ED
Zuiko Digital 11–22mm F2.8–3.5 ED
Zuiko Digital ED 25mm F2.8

They are all very nice, but the first two are pretty bulky. All three cost a lot more than most of the Minolta AF lenses out there. It's a mystery to me why lenses for these cameras that almost no one is using anymore still cost so much. Probably because they were never made in large enough quantities.

The Canon 5Diii. Even though it's a decade old at this point, I still don't consider it to be an "old" camera because I still have no hesitation grabbing it when a client wants me to snap a few stills on a video shoot (my main gig). The pictures still stack up well next to anything from the last year or two. But I'm sure that it won't be long before the next generation of YouTubers discover this camera as a retro curiosity and make me feel like even more of a dinosaur!

I was thinking about picking up a Minolta 5D at one point, but I keep reading that over time the IBIS fails/gets stuck in a lot of these cameras, resulting in inaccurate framing, so it can be a bit of a gamble. And the Sony's are newer, have a higher megapixel count, and cost the same.

That's one of the best compliments I have received! I'm always trying to tell a story, so it means a lot.

Keep up the great work with the YouTube videos. Your enthusiasm comes through and I always enjoy them. Your channel, Shutter Slaps, and One Month Two Cameras are breathing new life back into these old, forgotten cameras and it's fun to be along for the ride.

I've been asked multiple times to cover the first canon 5d, so it'll show up eventually for sure 😀 I know many other people have talked about it as a "classic" Not long before the mark iii as well. That whole series is amazing. Many of my friends shoot/have shot with 5d's and I really like them.

I'm curious your thoughts on the 11-22mm? Right now I have the 25mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 after a few months of searching and swapping my kit lenses. I also have an m42 adapter which is a lot of fun. That wide end is something I'd like to cover though. How do you like the performance? Obviously it's hard to say it's "worth it" at the high cost of these harder to find lenses, but are you at least satisfied when using it? Thanks for your thoughts!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from QuickHitRecord on November 6, 2022, 7:31 am

Minolta/Sony can offer that, but their grips looks pretty uncomfortable, which is a huge deal to me.

I will say that while my Sony A100 had a passable grip and body design, it is definitely not the most comfortable camera I've ever used. The Pentax/Canon/Nikon's from that era all win for ergonomics for me. Funny enough, Sony's non-interchangable lens cameras from that time like my Sony F828 and later Sony R1 actually have better grips. Not sure how the later Sony DSLRs faired.

Happy snappin' 🙂

I'm curious your thoughts on the 11-22mm? Right now I have the 25mm f2.8 and 50mm f2 after a few months of searching and swapping my kit lenses. I also have an m42 adapter which is a lot of fun. That wide end is something I'd like to cover though. How do you like the performance? Obviously it's hard to say it's "worth it" at the high cost of these harder to find lenses, but are you at least satisfied when using it? Thanks for your thoughts!

It's the lens that I have used the least. The zoom range is generally in the ballpark of what I like to use for photography while hiking (which is why I bought it), but we haven't been out on the trails much this year. Initial impressions are positive though. Shots from around the house are sharp enough -- it's always hard to tell with an older, lower resolution sensor. The lens is a little bigger and heavier than the 14-54, and it really is the only lens that fits this focus range. What I wouldn't give for a 17 or 20mm f2.8 in this mount.

Regarding camera grips, the top view comparison from this site has been really useful. It's nice to pull up cameras that you enjoyed holding as well as cameras you didn't, and then you can compare them to cameras you are curious about. I think that the Pentax looks really comfortable! Maybe I should take a second look at the K10D, with the idea of using my Ziess Jena primes with it.

Quote from QuickHitRecord on November 6, 2022, 7:49 am
It's a mystery to me why lenses for these cameras that almost no one is using anymore still cost so much. Probably because they were never made in large enough quantities.

I think a lot of people use them as cheap MFT lenses. They are still completely usable if you are willing to use manual focus. Also there are several lenses that don't have MFT equivalent's e.g.  fast constant aperture lenes and telephoto primes.

Page 1 of 2Next