Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Olympus Camedia C-5050z - 5MP Digicam with a special lens

I've had a short phase of playing around with digicams. I probably owned a couple dozen but only this one is the only one which I can't seem to let go. 

I bought it for 20 EUR shipped. I take it with me every now and then if I really want to be challenged. Regardless of its limitations, this camera always delivers. It has an F1.8 lens and it is quite sharp and contrasty.

It feels very sturdy and the grip is probably the best grip in this era. I have owned a Canon G5 and the Canon felt cheap compared to this. I also didn't like the colours from Canon for some reason.  

The buttons are plentiful.

It has a flippy screen!

..and most of all, it takes AA batteries!

Anyways, here are a couple of photos.. SOOC JPEG except for the macro shot:

I haven't tried the C-5060z or newer ones but the main thing that sets this apart from the newer models is the F1.8 aperture and AA batteries and these are the two main reasons why I searched for this instead. 

Anyways, what do you think? What's your favourite old digicam?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Great overview and pics. I have loved every compact Olympus I've tried so far, including my C8080 which would be the grandchild of this camera.

You may also be aware already, but the 5050/5060 has a tie to a well known Magnum photographer Alex Majoli, who back in the day talked about using those camera while his peers were using "pro" cameras. I can't find the original article, but it's quoted on several blogs: https://takepic.blogspot.com/2007/05/alex-majoli-points-and-shoots.html

A good reminder that a great photographer can do a lot with the right tools, and the right tools aren't always the biggest and best.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
Happy snappin' 🙂

I had the 5050 or 5060. Bought it new. I don't remember how much I paid but it was a LOT for me.  At the time I felt film was superior to digital- it probably was.  I felt the image quality was pretty good, not as good as film but okay.  It was fun because it had all the manual settings I dug that.  Obviously it was way cheaper than film once you got the camera.

Bought the really nice Olympus Wide angle and telephoto adapters.  Beautiful quality- like the camera. I found a small bag that looked as if it was tailor made for the camera and accessories. 

Unfortunately mine developed a problem with the on-off switch.  It kept powering on and off. I was not the only one that had that issue.  Eventually it became unusable. No parts available. It sat in my closet for quite awhile, finally I donated everything to the salvation army. For all I know it ended up in a landfill. 🙁

I wish I knew someone who could have at least used the adapters and accessories. 🙁

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos