Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Old camera that feels like a film camera, the Canon Powershot G5.

Hi,

A few months back I set myself a challenge to find a cheap camera that still had a bit of 'personality' about it. After trawling through Flickr I came across the Canon Powershot G5 and bought one from Ebay for £25, still boxed with all the manuals and cd's cables etc.

Well, there's a lot to complain about with this camera, but given how old it is, released in June 2003, a few shortcomings are not surprising. Although, it does have a lot of functionality 'under the hood', such as a built in ND filter, intervalometer and can shoot in RAW. The screen is tiny but fully articulated, there's a top display and a viewfinder too. Mostly what I love about using this camera is that it reminds me of using inexpensive 35mm point and shoot cameras and I think the images it produces do have a film-like quality, albeit from the aforementioned point and shoots.....here's a few shots for you, I have made some light edits using GIMP photo editor.

All the best, and Happy New Year.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0180.JPG
  • MarshLockG5BW.jpg
  • IMG_0161Edit.jpg
  • IMG_0332.JPG
  • IMG_0409.JPG
James Warner, Daniel Gonzalez and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerDaniel GonzalezJBPEckyH

What a neat little camera! I've been wanting a small fixed lens camera I can carry around all the time. A "no excuses, bring it" type of camera. But so many don't have viewfinders, and I just love that part of the process. We have a relatively new Canon Powershot that never gets used for that reason: no viewfinder.

This thing looks fun and those photos are really great! So film like especially in B&W, but even the color shots. 🤩 I'm surprised how much detail you get with 5mp too.

Thanks JBP.

The G5 does have a zoom lens, rather than fixed. Although, interestingly, you can remove the cowling around the lens to attach a Conversion Len Adapter, allowing you to use 58mm thread filters or, I think, a wide angle lens.

I have the adapter, but haven't got around to buying a filter for it yet.

All the best,

Nick.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

Very cool. the G series has always intrigued me, but I still have never tried them. I am a fan generally of the powershots though. I have owned several and installed CHDK on them for increased functionality, though it sounds like that G5 already has the three main things I was always after on the cheaper models: Manual controls, RAW and timelapse capability. Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Happy snappin' 🙂