Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ode to the Pentax SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM

It's been an epic summer of portfolio shots with this 300mm DA* Pentax lens.  Alot of bike rides and stops at the apple orchard in Gale Woods Farms, in Minnestrista, Minnesota, made for some of my favorite 2023 summer photo shots.  I can't really say anything negative about the optical quality, the only particular negative with the DA*300 is that the SDM will fail eventually.  My copy has been screw drive converted.  The K1, and it's high torque screw drive motor never faltered in nailing AF.  Some Telephoto's I've own, have included the Olympus 100-400, Tamron 150-600 G2, Pentax 55-300PLM, and I feel it competes just as well as a wildlife telephoto option.  Here's some of my favorite shots to let this lens speak for itself:

Snacking on the Mexican Sunflower by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Longhorn Bokeh by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sunflower Drink by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Flight of the Leafcutter Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Abort! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

The Staredown by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Rise! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Coming in Hot for Nectar! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sunning by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Itching by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

James Warner, Daniel Gonzalez and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerDaniel GonzalezJayTz_PhotographyAnthony Grizanti

Some of those shots just blow me away. The colors are so pleasant and the action in those bees/birds - perfect!

I'll add to this tribute with some of my own, albeit from years previous. I bought mine with SDM, and the motor failed after a few months so I converted it myself. My biggest complaint is it is really noisy now 😛

But I've used it with my K10D, KP, K-3, K-3iii and K-1 with great success. Close up, far away, low light and wide open. The performance at F4 is outstanding and really saved me on some of these early morning owl shots at 25,600 ISO already...

Also good for my amateur astro

JayTz_Photography has reacted to this post.
JayTz_Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on October 17, 2023, 6:20 am

It's been an epic summer of portfolio shots with this 300mm DA* Pentax lens.  Alot of bike rides and stops at the apple orchard in Gale Woods Farms, in Minnestrista, Minnesota, made for some of my favorite 2023 summer photo shots.  I can't really say anything negative about the optical quality, the only particular negative with the DA*300 is that the SDM will fail eventually.  My copy has been screw drive converted.  The K1, and it's high torque screw drive motor never faltered in nailing AF.  Some Telephoto's I've own, have included the Olympus 100-400, Tamron 150-600 G2, Pentax 55-300PLM, and I feel it competes just as well as a wildlife telephoto option.  Here's some of my favorite shots to let this lens speak for itself:

Snacking on the Mexican Sunflower by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Longhorn Bokeh by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sunflower Drink by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Flight of the Leafcutter Bee by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Abort! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

The Staredown by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Rise! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Coming in Hot for Nectar! by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Sunning by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

Itching by Bruce Foster, on Flickr

WOW congratulations on getting those images 😀

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.