Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ode to the Pentax K-3 - Snappiness Video Discussion Topic

Have you seen my latest video yet where I talk about my love for the Pentax K-3 with nothing but my jugular in focus?

What are your thoughts? Who is shooting a Pentax K-3 out there? Is anyone thinking of ordering the new Pentax, or still hangin' with their K10D?

Ranchu and Tristan Carlos have reacted to this post.
RanchuTristan Carlos
Happy snappin' 🙂

I have a KS2 along with a K1 ii, I am definitely looking to get the K3 iii when it is released, I think the features of the new camera, (similar FOV viewfinder, higher frame rate, pixel count  etc.) will better compliment the K1 ii, enough to justify investing

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

I am weighing up the K1ii against the K3iii. I like the idea of the 77mm ltd on full frame for portraits but the K3iii pairs up well with existing aps-c glass I have for my KP and hopefully solves my main issue with the KP which is it’s appalling buffer.

Quote from Will Parkin on November 8, 2020, 7:48 pm

I have a KS2 along with a K1 ii, I am definitely looking to get the K3 iii when it is released, I think the features of the new camera, (similar FOV viewfinder, higher frame rate, pixel count  etc.) will better compliment the K1 ii, enough to justify investing

I would be really interested to hold one in person and look through that new viewfinder - very compelling. Might be enough to win me over. But, I've never bought a new camera before. I'm always at LEAST two years behind. So, still may be a couple of years. 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Ranchu on November 9, 2020, 12:53 am

I am weighing up the K1ii against the K3iii. I like the idea of the 77mm ltd on full frame for portraits but the K3iii pairs up well with existing aps-c glass I have for my KP and hopefully solves my main issue with the KP which is it’s appalling buffer.

Interesting about the KP buffer, I did not know that. I don't even push the K-3's buffer, though I may yet as I am starting to get into birding a little bit.

Owning both a K-1 and K-3, my short take is that when it comes to actual final image they both do a tremendous job. Both formats have big advantages, and the images you can take are limitless. It's just if you know some of those differences are big enough for you to make a practical difference in your photography. I am not convinced full-frame has done anything for me that APS-C couldn't (realistically), but one scenario that is handy that I run into is wide angle large aperture. It's hard to replicate that wide angle but shallow depth of field on APS-C. Also, the K-1's sensor and processor is amazing, though I am sure the K-3 III will up that game as well.

I will say it was rather disrupting to jump to full-frame and have to redo my lenses. Full-frame lenses are heavier, sometimes more expensive, larger... Not a huge fan of that.

Happy snappin' 🙂

I probably won't upgrade my KP, mostly because I just bought it used and don't have the budget for the new model... But also because I love the look and feel of the KP, it was really kind of the look of it, combined with the great Pentax features, that drew me to it.

The killer feature for the mk III, in my opinion, is a small one, highlight weighted metering. I have it on the GR III and it's revolutionary. I find myself not having to think nearly as much about exposure, even in the version of TAv that the GR has (just M with auto ISO on). On a DSLR without live view in use, it'll be even better, you won't have to chimp much at all.

I guess it's a testament to how good cameras are these days that the feature I find the most interesting in three years of camera development is just a quality of life upgrade to metering. We can truly do anything with modern cameras.

I enjoyed the video, I'm recommending a K70 to a family member as well. Good info!

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.
Quote from agentlossing on November 12, 2020, 6:04 am

I probably won't upgrade my KP, mostly because I just bought it used and don't have the budget for the new model... But also because I love the look and feel of the KP, it was really kind of the look of it, combined with the great Pentax features, that drew me to it.

The killer feature for the mk III, in my opinion, is a small one, highlight weighted metering. I have it on the GR III and it's revolutionary. I find myself not having to think nearly as much about exposure, even in the version of TAv that the GR has (just M with auto ISO on). On a DSLR without live view in use, it'll be even better, you won't have to chimp much at all.

I guess it's a testament to how good cameras are these days that the feature I find the most interesting in three years of camera development is just a quality of life upgrade to metering. We can truly do anything with modern cameras.

I enjoyed the video, I'm recommending a K70 to a family member as well. Good info!

The highlight weighted metering makes me jealous on the GR III, I would definitely use that most of the time. I'm also interested in the usb-c charging that seems to be available. I really like having almost everything I own power through usb-c. Makes my life simpler.

The KP is on my list of cameras to try one day because of it's unique styling and handling, in combination of course with the great imaging abilities. Heck, if I got a good enough deal, I would be willing to swap my K-3 out for it. We'll see what the holidays bring. I think last year it got down to a crazy low price.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Very good video.

Way back I was going to go K5 or D7000. It was said that they shared the same sensor.  I chose the latter for 2 card slots as at that time I shot jpegs and a RAW file, edited in PS Elements 9 (LOL are they up to like 30 now) when I got LR there was no real point to the jpeg .

Some day if I find a K5-K3II for the right price I may have to take the plunge.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce