Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Ode to Sony A Mount- Dead but not Forgotten

Originally this was a reply, but I think it serves better as its own thread.

I own a number of obscure and forgotten about Digital Cameras (I'm in good company here, right?) and on this topic lets take a moment for a nod to the Sony A Mount DSLRs and the even more groundbreaking SLTs.  Which were Mirrorless before Mirrorless became King.

I'm the only one I know in my local community who shoots these cameras, but they still show up for sale at the local used camera store.  I have Zero interest in ever owning or shooting the newer Sony E mount cameras.

The A mount cameras just have so much more charm and personality. I also do not like the newer Graphical UI Sony adapted to but their old system and menus was very intuitive.

The very concept of the SLT which was a Hybrid between a Mirrorless Camera and DSLR alone by itself is very fascinating.  They had all the convivences of a Mirrorless system such as Exposure Preview and Focus Peaking with a DSLR style PDAF system.  Meaning you could mount DSLR lenses even as old as Minolta lenses from the 90s and have the same AF accuracy and speed as if these lenses were on something like a Nikon DSLR. It's really cool.  Being an owner of a Nikon Z50 that only uses Adapted lenses it does struggle sometimes and certainly can't handle some 3rd party DSLR lenses at all. So there is some charm in having a Native DSLR mount without an Adapter on pretty much a Mirrorless camera.

I own three Sony A mount bodies: a Sony a290 (which is not a SLT but a DSLR but is one of the last and most vibrant APS-C CCD sensors ever made), Sony a37 SLT (which is small and so fun to shoot) and a Sony a99 which is my only Full Frame camera body.

I normally don't care for shooting Full Frame, its far too "Mainstream" for my tastes and I far far prefer the look of APS C or smaller sensors.  But the Sony a99 remains a unique exception to that even if mine is imperfect (the IBIS unit is on the fritz and it constantly complains about it)

Pairing any of these with a Classic Minolta lens is just pure joy and wonder, and a testament of how great this glass is still to this day even if some of them have some shortcomings (such as the 28-135 having a minimum focus distance of 6 feet even at 28mm)

So an Ode to Sony A Mount.  It's a dead system but its far from being useless or without its charm.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

I have the 7D & Sony A99, they're such good bargains and the lenses are dirt cheap! I really like the A Mount system, sure the on paper stats can be lackluster, but the picture quality that these DSLR's achieve speaks for themselves.

North Wolf Photography has reacted to this post.
North Wolf Photography

Nice little write-up! I have always meant to pick with another A mount camera after selling my two Sony A100s (one IR converted, one normal). I was going to chase the Minolta's next and then got lost chasing other things. One day again for sure.

I do think the SLT tech is cool, but haven't felt personally drawn to it. The A lenses are a hidden treasure with wonderfully capable bodies that support them and plenty of great inexpensive lenses to be had.

As much as I rag on modern Sony cameras, I do think they're one of the most innovative camera companies. Sure, Minolta was the one with the first sensor stabilization that they then used, but a lot of other great features have come from Sony. And just always pushing the boundaries of the traditional camera. Hence my growing collection of early Sony cameras (which is larger than I want to admit, hah!)

SpruceBruce and North Wolf Photography have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceNorth Wolf Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂