Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nikon Pre Ai 35mm F2.8 Adapted to Pentax Q

Tried experimenting with my Qs crop factor and adapting part of my pre AI Nikon collection.  It makes for a great compact telephoto with a fast aperture.  I tried with my 200mm F4 and 135 F3.5 as well, but both of them had pretty bad purple fringing.  At least the 35mm was good enough for plane spotting my birds I maintain after working on them overnight.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20210415_083818887.jpg
  • IMGP7537.jpg
  • IMGP7538.jpg
  • IMGP7539.jpg
  • IMGP7561.jpg
James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner

Fun experiment. Adapting glass on the Pentax Q was one of my favorite activities. The crop factor makes even those wider lenses crazy telephoto. I remember putting a 135mm lens and shooting the moon. Ended up being something like a 700mm equivalent focal length. Something like the 8mm glass you put on it sometimes seems maybe a little bit better of a route than that 😉

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on May 6, 2021, 2:15 am

Fun experiment. Adapting glass on the Pentax Q was one of my favorite activities. The crop factor makes even those wider lenses crazy telephoto. I remember putting a 135mm lens and shooting the moon. Ended up being something like a 700mm equivalent focal length. Something like the 8mm glass you put on it sometimes seems maybe a little bit better of a route than that 😉

I bet you had to really carefully touch the shutter with that as well lol, or else the camera could move the slightest and you’d lose the moon.  I tried out my F mount Tamron 150-600 G2 with that adapter as well, holy cow the reach of the tiny q at 600mm with the crop factor was downright silly, and nearly impossible to focus.

Yes, I was surprised at how well the IS worked, but still it was a challenge. Thankfully with a moon you want the shutter speed fast anyway so that helped. Still should have used a tripod and AT LEAST a 10 second release on that thing, haha.

Okay, you got me beat with the ridiculous lens adaptations. I give up 😂

I did just get a box of Pentax Auto 110 lenses. I don't have my Pentax Q anymore, but I did buy an adapter for my Olympus EP2. Should be fun.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on May 7, 2021, 1:59 am

Yes, I was surprised at how well the IS worked, but still it was a challenge. Thankfully with a moon you want the shutter speed fast anyway so that helped. Still should have used a tripod and AT LEAST a 10 second release on that thing, haha.

I did just get a box of Pentax Auto 110 lenses. I don't have my Pentax Q anymore, but I did buy an adapter for my Olympus EP2. Should be fun.

Perhaps some future YouTube content?  Can’t you put plastic nylon washers in with the lens to step down the aperture?  If I recall, they’re stuck wide open at F2.8 being adapted.

Quote from SpruceBruce on May 7, 2021, 3:14 am
Quote from Snappy on May 7, 2021, 1:59 am

Perhaps some future YouTube content?  Can’t you put plastic nylon washers in with the lens to step down the aperture?  If I recall, they’re stuck wide open at F2.8 being adapted.

That's the stuff I really want to make videos about. The more weird or experimental the better. Haven't done something like that in a long time. So yeah, it'll probably end up on YT 😀

Yes, you're correct. From what I've read the Auto 110 has a system built in camera for manipulating the aperture and not an easy lever on the lens. The washers are a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. We'll see how they perform wide open. It'll be limiting on bright days, but for my early morning runs/bike rides it might be preferable anyway. We'll see.

SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂