Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nikon FX wide-to-standard primes

Hey y'all, I found a great deal on a Nikon DF over the weekend and pulled the trigger on that. I have a weird obsession with Nikon DSLRs, and I'm hoping this camera scratches that itch. 

Anyway, there are so many F mount compatible lenses that I find myself at a loss when thinking about the 20-40mm range for wide-to-standard-primes. I don't want to spend too much money, and I want a good walk around lens. Any suggestions? I know we got some Nikon people here. Thanks for your help ✌️

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce

Super cool camera.  I have a D4 same awesome sensor. 

The 28mm f2.8 AI-S is supposed to be one of the best 28mm lenses ever.  The AI-s version (as opposed to the AI) Nikon let the engineers get crazy.

I am going to get one. 

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights No.57 | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights | Nikon Consumer

comparison vs to Voigtlander

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AiS (late) vs. Voigtländer 28mm f/2.8 SLII-S — thomas eisl avantgarde.photography 

Quote from KankRat on February 27, 2024, 12:32 pm

Super cool camera.  I have a D4 same awesome sensor. 

The 28mm f2.8 AI-S is supposed to be one of the best 28mm lenses ever.  The AI-s version (as opposed to the AI) Nikon let the engineers get crazy.

I am going to get one. 

NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights No.57 | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights | Nikon Consumer

comparison vs to Voigtlander

Nikon 28mm f/2.8 AiS (late) vs. Voigtländer 28mm f/2.8 SLII-S — thomas eisl avantgarde.photography 

I'll check out those links, thank you! I don't have a 28 mil but I love the focal length. Just another excuse to buy a lens I suppose... 😉

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/nikon-nikkor-35mm-f-2-8/

I had a Pre AI copy of this lens.  It was so tack sharp.  I briefly owned a Nikon Df, and regret selling it.  I never shot enough with it to enjoy it to it's full potential.

prisonwine has reacted to this post.
prisonwine
Quote from SpruceBruce on February 27, 2024, 9:41 pm

https://phillipreeve.net/blog/nikon-nikkor-35mm-f-2-8/

I had a Pre AI copy of this lens.  It was so tack sharp.  I briefly owned a Nikon Df, and regret selling it.  I never shot enough with it to enjoy it to it's full potential.

Thanks for the link! And I feel you on gear selling regret. There are a few lenses I've owned that I kick myself over selling. Will share some snaps with the DF once I take it for a spin

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

Check out the Voigtlander lineup too.  There is a thread on the Nikon forum on Fred Miranda forums,  "voigtlander for Nikon".  There are some really nice looking IQ but a lot were shot with the new Zf so I am not sure if it's the camera or the lens. They reputed to be really good though.  The build quality looks old school outrageous and they have a chip. 

The fact that someone is manufacturing a manual focus prime of that quality in 2024 for not a lot of cash is pretty cool.  As far as I know they are manufactured in Japan, so the QC is probably spot on. 

prisonwine
Quote from KankRat on February 28, 2024, 3:29 pm

Check out the Voigtlander lineup too.  There is a thread on the Nikon forum on Fred Miranda forums,  "voigtlander for Nikon".  There are some really nice looking IQ but a lot were shot with the new Zf so I am not sure if it's the camera or the lens. They reputed to be really good though.  The build quality looks old school outrageous and they have a chip. 

The fact that someone is manufacturing a manual focus prime of that quality in 2024 for not a lot of cash is pretty cool.  As far as I know they are manufactured in Japan, so the QC is probably spot on. 

I ended up grabbing a couple used Voigtlanders, a 28mm and a 58mm. Don't have either yet but I'm excited. Thanks again for your thoughts!

Sweet!  Can't wait to see some shots. You are going to have a bomb diggity Nikon kit. 

I started shooting Nikon in 1983 with FM2 (brand new from Adorama). I only had the 50 f1.8 AI-s  and in about 1992 I got a used 70-200 f4.5 AI (it was factory converted), which I paid $350 for back then.  Never really could afford all the glass I wanted.  I always admired how beautiful the workmanship on that old glass was. 

This guy has some pretty good info on old Nikkor goodness.  He is a descent shooter too.  There is a link to his Flickr page. There are nudes on there in case anyone is uptight about that. 

https://www.youtube.com/@BriansPhotoShow

prisonwine

The 35mm f1.8 can be picked up reasonably cheap and for the price is a great lens.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18-fx.htm

prisonwine