Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nikon D810 for Wildlife in 2023

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from red5isalive on November 28, 2023, 10:21 pm
Quote from KankRat on November 28, 2023, 6:35 pm
Quote from red5isalive on November 28, 2023, 5:51 pm
Quote from KankRat on November 27, 2023, 6:54 pm
Quote from red5isalive on November 26, 2023, 7:50 pm

That looks like a great purchase. 

Myself I was looking for a D500,and to be honest I have come to think that is better to go for a D4 or D5 than for a D500 as they are expensive.
Another model I don't mind and over here is quite cheap is the D750, but that one doesn't have that AF speed supposedly.

Yet I keep using my K3-III and it looks like I will continue doing so xD

If you could score a D5 for the same price as a D500 and you don't need the reach of a crop sensor than yeah that would be a good move.  I believe that D5 goes for significantly more.  I have a D4.  I am not using it for wildlife because at 16mp FX there is little room to crop.  Where I see it shine is for portraits. Skin tones are really nice.  

The D4 also looks like a $6000 camera compared to every other I've seen.  It's in another league. 

I have been considering so many options lately....

And from the D500 I just saw better prices on D4's or even some D5 a bit pricier but not that much compared to what it does offer. 

Yet I have bought a second K3-III so I believe the Nikon idea is out of reach for now. 

I can't see any good reason for you to switch especially if you have Pentax glass. 

To be honest the AF improvement and Buffer life is critical and I'd switch only for those two reasons. 

Yet there are more options now than before, or at least in my head. 

But the K3-III was such a good deal, I could not pass on it.

I think the biggest reasons to switch to Nikon are lens selection and RAW buffer. The K3iii autofocus is amazing but Pentax doesn't have as many fast-focusing lenses as Nikon, and certainly not as many telephoto options. As far as buffer, it's not great in RAW compared to the D500 which as you know is amazing. Have you tried shooting in JPEG? There the buffer is of course outstanding on the K3iii, and to my surprise I've been able to work the JPEGs quite a bit in post-processing. The main thing to get right in camera I think is the white balance, and to not blow highlights. I've been really surprised by how much shadow recovery I've gotten in JPEG.

Quote from JBP on November 29, 2023, 4:32 pm

Myself I was looking for a D500,and to be honest I have come to think that is better to go for a D4 or D5 than for a D500 as they are expensive.
Another model I don't mind and over here is quite cheap is the D750, but that one doesn't have that AF speed supposedly.

If you could score a D5 for the same price as a D500 and you don't need the reach of a crop sensor than yeah that would be a good move.  I believe that D5 goes for significantly more.  I have a D4.  I am not using it for wildlife because at 16mp FX there is little room to crop.  Where I see it shine is for portraits. Skin tones are really nice.  

The D4 also looks like a $6000 camera compared to every other I've seen.  It's in another league. 

And from the D500 I just saw better prices on D4's or even some D5 a bit pricier but not that much compared to what it does offer. 

Yet I have bought a second K3-III so I believe the Nikon idea is out of reach for now. 

I can't see any good reason for you to switch especially if you have Pentax glass. 

To be honest the AF improvement and Buffer life is critical and I'd switch only for those two reasons. 

I think the biggest reasons to switch to Nikon are lens selection and RAW buffer. The K3iii autofocus is amazing but Pentax doesn't have as many fast-focusing lenses as Nikon, and certainly not as many telephoto options. As far as buffer, it's not great in RAW compared to the D500 which as you know is amazing. Have you tried shooting in JPEG? There the buffer is of course outstanding on the K3iii, and to my surprise I've been able to work the JPEGs quite a bit in post-processing. The main thing to get right in camera I think is the white balance, and to not blow highlights. I've been really surprised by how much shadow recovery I've gotten in JPEG.

Yes that could be an option but I tend to shoot RAW + JPG because I know i'll mess it at some point. Sometimes is touching the colours without knowing and finding that later, sometimes it's again changing the whites, sometimes is shooting into the dark with no auto-iso or perhaps to direct sun light with auto-iso on and then blowing up the lights.....

You know these kind of things you do without willing to, and shooting raw I know I have a back-up just in case 😀

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from JBP on November 29, 2023, 4:32 pm

jpegs are not as bad as they are made out to be by the internet and there is something to be said about the processing by the camera manufacturer. But in my thinking, if I have to edit at all, I might as well do it to a RAW file.

The telephoto selection on Pentax was the deal breaker for me. 

Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJBP
Quote from KankRat on November 30, 2023, 12:41 pm

jpegs are not as bad as they are made out to be by the internet and there is something to be said about the processing by the camera manufacturer. But in my thinking, if I have to edit at all, I might as well do it to a RAW file.

The telephoto selection on Pentax was the deal breaker for me. 

Definitely. Although depending on the camera I find it faster sometimes to shoot RAW+JPEG and edit the JPEGs in Lightroom. Small touches, or nothing at all, vs more time spent per photo if I'm using the RAW files. But then your buffer is even worse than if you shot RAW only lol

I agree about Pentax's telephoto selection. I mean, on one hand what they do have is great but there are some Nikon and Canon options that would be great to have in k-mount. If Tamron and Sigma still made glass for Pentax then we'd be in business. I want that Tamron 150-600 G2 on K-mount!

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez

You guys are right. 

But for my kind of images I preffer to have Raw images as a back-up. 

Let me put some examples that happened to me during this 2023: 

• Clicked a button to change the Colour scheme
  • Clicked a button to change White Balance
  • Yesterday podiums and last race were done almost in the dark. 
  • Forgetting to up ISO on interiors

For those matters Raw's are very important to me, I know I'll need them. I might f*ck it up xD I reckon haha. I'm a bit of a mess sometimes. 

Quote from red5isalive on December 3, 2023, 9:13 am

You guys are right. 

But for my kind of images I preffer to have Raw images as a back-up. 

Let me put some examples that happened to me during this 2023: 

• Clicked a button to change the Colour scheme
  • Clicked a button to change White Balance
  • Yesterday podiums and last race were done almost in the dark. 
  • Forgetting to up ISO on interiors

For those matters Raw's are very important to me, I know I'll need them. I might f*ck it up xD I reckon haha. I'm a bit of a mess sometimes. 

Also AI noise reduction does not work with a jpeg.

Shot this yesterday- horrible lighting. Cloudy overcast.  More or less to see what the 810 can do in crop mode. So 810 in DX mode, 200-500 @ 500 1/2000 f5.6 ISO 4K.

If you got closer (good luck) and shot this in FX mode the noise would be more tolerable.

1 image I just converted the RAW file to a jpeg

2 DXO Deep Prime no edits

3 #2 with LR auto adjust, auto subject masked the bird increased saturation and a little sharpening.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC3938.jpg
  • DSC3938-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg
  • DSC3938-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-2.jpg
Daniel Gonzalez

Got rid of that distracting stick using "content aware remove" <<ahh-mazing.

gave it a little more crop selected the auto bid mask sorted it up. Lightened the whole image up a bit and applied a little vignette.

Uploaded files:
  • DSC3938-NEF_DxO_DeepPRIME-4.jpg
Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from KankRat on December 3, 2023, 2:10 pm

Shot this yesterday- horrible lighting. Cloudy overcast.  More or less to see what the 810 can do in crop mode. So 810 in DX mode, 200-500 @ 500 1/2000 f5.6 ISO 4K.

If you got closer (good luck) and shot this in FX mode the noise would be more tolerable.

3 #2 with LR auto adjust, auto subject masked the bird increased saturation and a little sharpening.

Brilliant photos,

How did you felt the camera in Crop Mode? I think the results look great, but how was for you overall? 

Quote from red5isalive on December 4, 2023, 7:17 am
Quote from KankRat on December 3, 2023, 2:10 pm

Brilliant photos,

How did you felt the camera in Crop Mode? I think the results look great, but how was for you overall? 

The short answer is it would work for occasional use for someone who is mostly going to shoot FX, which is what I intend to do with it.  I got this camera from a friend for next to nothing and the grip for 32 bucks.  I had no intentions of it becoming a fulltime camera.  Since I have the grip I figure I should try it out in DX and report.  I think though that when all is said and done, I'll get better images out of the D7200, especially in good light. (I think) A dedicated Dx camera is probably better for me.  That said, I do like the pro body the shooting experience.

Daniel Gonzalez and JBP have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezJBP
PreviousPage 2 of 2