Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nikon 80d vs Pentax k10d

Have you ever done a comparison between the Nikon 80d and the Pentax k10d?

On paper they look very similar in tech specs and as they both have a ccd sensor was wondering how they would compare to each other. Ive seen some 80d's for sale for around £40 so very tempted to get one and get a lens converter.

denniscrommett and JBP have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettJBP

I second this! I wonder if the equivalent Canon could be thrown in there too.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

It's been a while since I watched it but I recall him comparing those two a bit in this video:

Quote from Lock5 on April 7, 2022, 7:21 am

Have you ever done a comparison between the Nikon 80d and the Pentax k10d?

On paper they look very similar in tech specs and as they both have a ccd sensor was wondering how they would compare to each other. Ive seen some 80d's for sale for around £40 so very tempted to get one and get a lens converter.

I have never done a full on comparison, both I've used both. Along with the Canon 40D, Olympus E-450, and Sony A100... that 10mp DSLR era is really nice. Affordable and just awesome images.

I don't own the Nikon anymore, but I will say ergonomically it was really nice and the autofocus seemed better by a tad than the Pentax K10D. But then again I've shot birds in flight with the K10D and not with the Nikon and came out fine, so maybe not a big deal. Probably doesn't matter for most people going out of their way to buy an old camera for fun anyway.

IQ was good, and maybe there's differences side-by-side but nothing practically. I shot mostly straight jpegs out of the Nikon D80, and that's what I do with my K10D as well. The Canon 40D also had excellent colors. All look a little different, but all good, and with slight edits you could make them all look the same.

So, in my mind it really comes down to four things:

• Which one feels better to you in the hands
  • Which supports the lenses you want (Nikon F would not be able to use M42, for instance)
  • If there's some specific feature you REALLY need (K10D has weather sealing, sensor stabilization, for instance)
  • Which is cheapest 🙂

denniscrommett and Lock5 have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettLock5
Happy snappin' 🙂

This isn't a VS comment per se. I bought a D80 a couple of days ago. To say I had a few issues initially would be an understatement. Who knew that when the battery had a 1/4 capacity it decides it can't be bothered allowing the menu to display or the flash to pop up.....or do anything really 🙂

After a thorough thrashing (charged the battery fully) it's working a treat. I'm getting grainy shots initially. I haven't used a Nikon before. This is all a tad new to me. The 18-135 3.5 that came with it I am loving. The 135mm focal length I am really digging. I wouldn't mind trying a prime at this focal length to test.

Now....to find a Sony A200 hahahaha.

Quote from Just take the shot on May 21, 2022, 7:26 am

This isn't a VS comment per se. I bought a D80 a couple of days ago. To say I had a few issues initially would be an understatement. Who knew that when the battery had a 1/4 capacity it decides it can't be bothered allowing the menu to display or the flash to pop up.....or do anything really 🙂

After a thorough thrashing (charged the battery fully) it's working a treat. I'm getting grainy shots initially. I haven't used a Nikon before. This is all a tad new to me. The 18-135 3.5 that came with it I am loving. The 135mm focal length I am really digging. I wouldn't mind trying a prime at this focal length to test.

Is the graininess because of high ISO? Or what would you attribute it to do you think? Glad it's finally working after a full battery charge!

Happy snappin' 🙂

Nobody asked me but I used to shoot with a D70 for a few years! The main difference between the D70 and D80 is the megapixels (6 vs 10).

The K10D blows it away. Image quality, of course, but that doesn't apply to the D80.

But to have in-body image stabilization is a life-changer. I had so many shots turn out poorly because the high ISO wasn't cutting it on those old sensors, and camera shake is on a DSLR is harder to avoid.

The K10D feels superior in build quality and ergonomics.

You can of course take awesome photos with a Nikon DSLR. But the K10D is a luxury experience… things just work (especially if you have shaky hands). The D70 was pretty annoying to use even when it was new. Frustration with the failings of Nikon DSLRs is actually why I gave up on photography for years, if that says anything (I sure think it does!)

SpruceBruce and dhendrix have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedhendrix
Quote from James Warner on May 21, 2022, 1:35 pm
Quote from Just take the shot on May 21, 2022, 7:26 am

Is the graininess because of high ISO? Or what would you attribute it to do you think? Glad it's finally working after a full battery charge!

Yes. I've done a few tests and it's the ISO being too high. I have a Fuji X-T20 which IMHO deals with ISO very well. This older (CCD love) sensor doesn't operate like a $10,000 new camera. BUT...it's the discovery of what you can do with these older cameras that's the fun. Yes setting a new Nikon Z9 with a nice shiny whatever lens would be great for tack sharp, but, where's the fun in that?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce