Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nifty Fifty (50mm prime) Lens Club

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next
Quote from denniscrommett on March 8, 2022, 2:06 am

Thank you, @jbp! (and for the like, @sprucebruce; is it just me, or is it nice to see those thumbs up from other trusted photo enthusiast pals on here?)

Let me start this off with a big sigh and a self-eye-roll, ha. I have tried many Fujis. I have spent most of my time taking photos with an X-T1, which I have at work for casually capturing stuff, so that is definitely in the mix. Outside of that, I've tried lots of things, but have now come back to that X-Trans II sensor (which is in the X-T1, X-E2, X-E2s, X100T, and X70), because to me, there is just something about it that feels warm, real, almost "buttery," and somehow "deeper," as compared to the next sensor up, X-Trans III, which is in the X-T2. Last week, the X-T2 just felt "Too Good," honestly. If I was a pro, using it for paid work, sure, maybe. But I have since sold the X-T2 to get an X-E2s which comes tomorrow. I've had one before, and it felt so right to me. So, all that blathering is to say, if you'd like to check out a Fuji situation, I absolutely recommend the X-T1 or X-E2 etc., and whatever lens sounds fun. The 27mm f2.8 is so cool, sharp, and cheap(ish), as is the XC 35mm f2.

Anyway. Thanks for enjoying the photos. Clearly I could go on about this. Luckily, all the snow in those photos has now melted, and it's feeling more like spring here today.

Ah, gotcha, that makes sense. I recently saw a youtube video where the guy said the same thing as you about the sensors and that's why he went back to his X-T1 over the newer models. I've seen it with other brands, too. Lots of people seem to prefer the rendering of the 16mp cameras. I wonder if something was lost once we went above that resolution, somehow.

Hey, congrats on your X-E2s! Sounds like it will be like putting on a perfect-fitting glove. It is such a great feeling when we find something that just "fits" and clicks with us.

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

Thank you @jbp, totally! Looking forward to sharing some photos from the X-E2s here. All 16 megapixels of'em.

Similar note: I have been intrigued by the Pentax K-5 iis and occasionally stalk them on ebay. 16mp, no AA filter. Curious if anyone here has tried one.

Quote from denniscrommett on March 8, 2022, 4:09 am

Thank you @jbp, totally! Looking forward to sharing some photos from the X-E2s here. All 16 megapixels of'em.

Similar note: I have been intrigued by the Pentax K-5 iis and occasionally stalk them on ebay. 16mp, no AA filter. Curious if anyone here has tried one.

I do the same. That's one of the ones I was thinking about in reference to the praise 16mp cameras get. There are lots of threads when the K-3 came out of people preferring the K-5's rendering over the new model. I do think K-5 images have some special quality that is hard to define. It just renders so nicely. It seems a lot like the difference I notice between my K10D and K-3. Just more pleasing colors and a more "dreamy" quality... I use that word a lot when I don't know how to describe something photographically, but there you go haha

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

A couple of last night's sunset with my K-5iis and DA 50mm "plastic fantastic."

IMGP0779 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP0778 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, Daniel Gonzalez and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel GonzalezGawadEckyH

Beautiful images.

It's been a while since I haven't used mine (I think September) but this lens never dissapoints.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo
Quote from red5isalive on January 1, 2023, 9:47 pm

Beautiful images.

It's been a while since I haven't used mine (I think September) but this lens never dissapoints.

I rarely use it because if I'm outdoors often there's good light and unpredictable situations, so I want a zoom. If I'm indoors then 50mm is often too tele. So I tell myself. But when I use it I'm always like "why don't I use this more?!" In many situations it's a really good focal length both outdoors and in, and the fast aperture is so often a blessing. And believe it or not, some testing I did a while back seemed to indicate it's a fantastic lens for action photography - in my case a dog running toward me. My highest keeper rate was with it. 🤯

You're right, it never disappoints. 🙂

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

Adapted Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 on Olympus EM10 II

James Warner, JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBPEckyH
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 2, 2023, 7:22 pm

Adapted Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 on Olympus EM10 II

Fantastic!

Pentax K1 & SMC M 50mm Macro F4 & Meike 570II flash with a small soft box

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterJBPEckyH
Quote from SpruceBruce on January 29, 2023, 6:27 pm

Pentax K1 & SMC M 50mm Macro F4 & Meike 570II flash with a small soft box

These look so good. I'm curious what softbox you have for your flash?

Happy snappin' 🙂
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next