Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nifty Fifty (50mm prime) Lens Club

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next
Quote from agentlossing on February 17, 2022, 11:02 pm

A Pentax 50/1.8 on the K1000, with Fomapan 200 in Rodinal.

Untitled (27) by Andrew Lossing, on Flickr

Love it!

From Summer 2020, Nikon D3500 & Af-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G.  I love my Beagle's ear crumple.  Shot wide open

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0172-1.jpg
JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

now that i have a 50mm f1.7 pentax f series (it FEELS nice), enjoy some snaps.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP8152.JPG
  • IMGP8254.JPG
  • IMGP8240.JPG
  • IMGP8213.JPG
James Warner, SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceHeggenDazs
Is that even street bro?

@estelon_agarwaen the Pentax-F f/1.7 is such a beast for the money. I got mine for $50 and it just looks like a million bucks. I’m a little biased though since all my favorite shooters are primes. However, the Pentax-F and Helios are probably my two favorite of all my primes.

sadly, here in germany, slightly over 100€ was the lowest i could find it for (pentax is RARE here). i could easily resell for 150€ here. also TIL that adjusting the af modules back/front focus on the k10d is quite easy.

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs
Is that even street bro?

Also, in the lens ratings on the Pentax forums, the Pentax-F typically outperformed its newer sibling, the FA. I’d be curious if there would ever be a reason to buy a newer 50mm on Pentax when the F is really just a fantastic lens for the money. I’m sure there are $500 50s that outperform it but I’d love to see the proof. And it would have to be a day and night comparison to warrant the money.

Quote from Estelon_Agarwaen on March 3, 2022, 8:13 pm

Great photographs! That little thing is NICE! The bokeh in the plant photo... wow.

Is this the lens? https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-50mm-F1.7-Lens.html

Quote from HeggenDazs on March 3, 2022, 8:24 pm

Also, in the lens ratings on the Pentax forums, the Pentax-F typically outperformed its newer sibling, the FA. I’d be curious if there would ever be a reason to buy a newer 50mm on Pentax when the F is really just a fantastic lens for the money. I’m sure there are $500 50s that outperform it but I’d love to see the proof. And it would have to be a day and night comparison to warrant the money.

I bought the DA 50mm "plastic fantastic" back in 2019 when I got my K-3 ... but I don't think I would have if I had known about this lens. Maybe the AF is a bit faster on the newer lenses, but I would be surprised if that is true since they're screw drive and the driven mass is probably similar. Man, I want this now. GAS!!

Quote from JBP on March 3, 2022, 9:30 pm
Quote from Estelon_Agarwaen on March 3, 2022, 8:13 pm

Great photographs! That little thing is NICE! The bokeh in the plant photo... wow.

Is this the lens? https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-F-50mm-F1.7-Lens.html

Quote from HeggenDazs on March 3, 2022, 8:24 pm

I bought the DA 50mm "plastic fantastic" back in 2019 when I got my K-3 ... but I don't think I would have if I had known about this lens. Maybe the AF is a bit faster on the newer lenses, but I would be surprised if that is true since they're screw drive and the driven mass is probably similar. Man, I want this now. GAS!!

it is exactly that lens. its just so nice!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Is that even street bro?

Here are a few shots from a brief affair I had last week with a Fuji X-T2 and the XF 35mm f2 lens (a 50mm equivalent). Like many of you, it seems, 50mm isn't for me in an everyday kinda way. (And neither is the sensor in the X-T2, but that's a whole other story!) But, here are a couple photos I took at the DAR State Forest here western MA. (Side note, I never used to take shots in portrait orientation. Now I seem to all the time. Weird! Could be a forum topic. Or not!)

Anyway, all of that being said, it's a fantastic lens; fast AF, sharp from f/2, solidly built. Sure it's not the cheapest in the world at around $300, but that's about the cheapest in Fuji land.

Uploaded files:
  • DSCF8849-10.jpg
  • DSCF8814-2-9.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBP
Quote from denniscrommett on March 6, 2022, 3:57 am

Here are a few shots from a brief affair I had last week with a Fuji X-T2 and the XF 35mm f2 lens (a 50mm equivalent). Like many of you, it seems, 50mm isn't for me in an everyday kinda way. (And neither is the sensor in the X-T2, but that's a whole other story!) But, here are a couple photos I took at the DAR State Forest here western MA. (Side note, I never used to take shots in portrait orientation. Now I seem to all the time. Weird! Could be a forum topic. Or not!)

Anyway, all of that being said, it's a fantastic lens; fast AF, sharp from f/2, solidly built. Sure it's not the cheapest in the world at around $300, but that's about the cheapest in Fuji land.

Lovely photos. The snowmobile path scene is great, I love wilderness views like that. It reminds me of one of my favorite spots to hike to when I used to live in the country. Portrait was the way to go there, nicely done! I too find myself shooting in portrait more, but I am irritated by those pesky Peak Design "capture clips" hitting my glasses every time I do. Drives me nuts. lol Love their straps but the only good thing about the connection point to the camera is that it can be removed easily. One pro, many cons. /rant over. Sorry. 😒

Your main camera is an X-T1, right? You prefer that over the X-T2? I have been toying around with the idea of getting one of those, was leaning toward the X-T2. But like you mentioned the lens prices are high and that has scared me off. It's probably for the best. The longer I wait the lower prices will be. 🙂

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

Thank you, @jbp! (and for the like, @sprucebruce; is it just me, or is it nice to see those thumbs up from other trusted photo enthusiast pals on here?)

Let me start this off with a big sigh and a self-eye-roll, ha. I have tried many Fujis. I have spent most of my time taking photos with an X-T1, which I have at work for casually capturing stuff, so that is definitely in the mix. Outside of that, I've tried lots of things, but have now come back to that X-Trans II sensor (which is in the X-T1, X-E2, X-E2s, X100T, and X70), because to me, there is just something about it that feels warm, real, almost "buttery," and somehow "deeper," as compared to the next sensor up, X-Trans III, which is in the X-T2. Last week, the X-T2 just felt "Too Good," honestly. If I was a pro, using it for paid work, sure, maybe. But I have since sold the X-T2 to get an X-E2s which comes tomorrow. I've had one before, and it felt so right to me. So, all that blathering is to say, if you'd like to check out a Fuji situation, I absolutely recommend the X-T1 or X-E2 etc., and whatever lens sounds fun. The 27mm f2.8 is so cool, sharp, and cheap(ish), as is the XC 35mm f2.

Anyway. Thanks for enjoying the photos. Clearly I could go on about this. Luckily, all the snow in those photos has now melted, and it's feeling more like spring here today.

James Warner and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBP
PreviousPage 3 of 5Next