Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Nifty Fifty (50mm prime) Lens Club

Page 1 of 5Next

Share all your favorite photographs taken with the classic focal length: 50mm.

50mm isn't a focal length I would describe as my favorite, but it's one I got back to regularly. It's a good standard length on 35mm format and makes a great lens on APS-C for isolating subjects and great bokeh, or even more telephoto landscape!

Minolta 50mm f1.7 on Sony A100

Sony A100 by Snappiness, on Flickr

SMC Pentax f1.2 on Pentax K-1

Ann of Green Gables by Snappiness, on Flickr

Takumar 50mm F4 macro on Pentax K-1

IMGP94711 by Snappiness, on Flickr

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawadHeggenDazsDWMO
Happy snappin' 🙂

was out taking shots on my new Pentax-F 50mm f1.7 today, here's some examples.

405 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, Gawad and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawadEckyH

Reserved by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Rail by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

End of the Season by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceGawadEckyH

I'm honestly really loving this lens! I would say the focus can be a bit tricky at time just due to the age of the lens and the slow mechanism. Otherwise it's a total peach! I am going to have a lot of fun shooting random stuff with it.

(also yes, the lens told me to shoot off-center and up-close subjects)

Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruce

Awesome stuff. Makes me want to go out and shoot. Yeah mine focuses really slow too and clunks around a bit. I thought the focusing was jammed up but then it works just fine on my Pentax Z-1P so I can't tell what the difference would be there...

Happy snappin' 🙂

The Nikon 50mm F1.8G, was my first lens I bought after my two kit lenses that came with my D3500 (my first DSLR I ever owned).  Then I went through the novice phase of shooting everything wide open afterwards that I think that most beginners do after buying a fast aperture lens. My beagle Olive at the cabin, was shot with this setup. The crumpled ear kills me.

The last four shots, were this past week in Toronto while flying around Canada for work, with a Minolta MD 50 F1.7/Nikon Z50 setup.  I got obsessed with the tug boats, and the squirrel was absolutely fearless.  Oddly enough, it'd run away from me when I brought my Z50 to my eye, but then came with in a foot of me when I would lower it.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_0172.jpg
  • DSC_2232.jpg
  • DSC_2258.jpg
  • DSC_2270.jpg
  • DSC_2264.jpg
James Warner, Gawad and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerGawadHeggenDazsEckyH

Love the tugboat shots! what do you think of the Nikon Z50? It looks like a really slick mirrorless system.

Quote from HeggenDazs on November 5, 2021, 2:08 pm

Love the tugboat shots! what do you think of the Nikon Z50? It looks like a really slick mirrorless system.

I think if you get the kit lens (they're super sharp and autofocus is fast), FTZ adapter, and the Z50 as a package, it's probably the best value you can get into a APS C mirror less system.  I've just gotten into Pentax recently, I started my photography journey with Nikon.  So I decided to keep my good Nikon glass, specifically my Tamron 150-600 for wildlife, it's far cheaper than the Pentax FA 150-450 for the FTZ, and Z50 body along with the lens if you hunt the used market good enough.  Although I love my KP, I keep my Z50 around for adopting all my film glass too since Pentax isn't making an EVF based mirrorless body anytime soon.   I have Nikon, Contax, Minolta, Soviet M42 that I can adapt to it and use the EVF for focus peaking.

Those are great shots, @SpruceBruce - I've never seen a black squirrel before.

That 150-600 is tempting to switch systems for... not a lot in the wildlife telephoto range for Pentax. Not enough first party, and then most third-party dropped support.

Here's some 50mm shots from this morning. On Pentax K10D and Pentax M 50mm f1.7, the $20-30 nifty fifty for Pentax 🙂

IMGP4102 by Snappiness, on Flickr

IMGP4226 by Snappiness, on Flickr

IMGP4197 by Snappiness, on Flickr

agentlossing, Beau Carpenter and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
agentlossingBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceHeggenDazsEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

Striking by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Grip by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Stands in a Row by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

SpruceBruce, JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBPEckyH
Page 1 of 5Next