Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Newbie requesting advice/links

PreviousPage 3 of 3
Quote from Dylan Catlett on February 27, 2024, 10:11 am

I'm not too beholden to the 2000s look. It was more of a momentary fascination.

As for pictures of the pipes, nothing too fancy, just a close-up picture of them, sort of like what you might see in an online listing. Not being a photographer, it's hard for me to describe to you what I mean. I thought it would be neat to display my pipes in a little gallery.

All the same, I think the best thing to do is not worry too much, and just focus on finding a decent-enough camera (and lens) that I can grow in the hobby with. Perhaps a kit lens is best for me, for now. As you said, a lot of the finer technical details can be figured out later on.

I would much appreciate any feedback from the members here about potential cameras and lenses I spot in the future, and hopefully they can point out any flaws that an uninitiated person such as myself would not be able to spot.

By the way, how ought I to carry a camera + lens? Do I purchase a bag made for the camera? What about the lens/lenses?

I agree with @jbp about using a normal backpack. I did that up until very recently. I would buy soft lens cases from JJC, Lowepro or Caselogic and also a larger one for the body. Double zippering everything effectively makes it waterproof and it's a cheap solution. Some people really like using messenger style bags as well. But I don't recommend buying a purpose built camera bag as a beginner because they tend to be expensive and only really offer an advantage until you're carrying around a lot of gear.

As for carrying your camera once you get somewhere, I usually use either a wrist or shoulder strap depending on what I'm doing and where I am. I also have one of those quick release plates, but I never use it. Some people swear by them though.

In regard to the macro lens. I think the Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D Macro that @jbp recommended might be a great first lens for you if you decide to go Nikon. It won't be super wide, but you can easily pick up a wider prime lens if you find that it becomes a reoccurring problem for you, but maybe you're like me and you only rarely want to shoot that wide, but that's part of the experimentation process.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
PreviousPage 3 of 3