Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Need your help testing Classic Camera Database

Page 1 of 3Next

Hello all,

As some of you know I've been working on another website for the past few months. Thanks for those who have helped me thus far.

It's been a while but I made some pretty big updates since the last time I asked for some feedback. For one, we have a name now (woohoo!) but also the overall style has been (mostly) sorted out and we have a lot more features. I am preparing to release this to the general public in August, so I am hoping to use this time to iron out the bugs. This is the basic feature set in this first August release. Future enhancements are encouraged and will come after! 😀

Timeline

• June - Forum user testing/feedback/fixes
    • I'm working to fix major problems
    • I'm adding lots more cameras to the database!
  • Mid-July - Limited user group testing to include many from my YouTube community
    • I'm working to fix minor problems
    • I'm adding even more cameras to the database 🙂
  • August - Version 1.0.0 release, public announcements
    • We celebrate and throw a party, lol idk
  • Beyond - Start releasing many more features on my own list and the community!

Right now anyone can hit the site if they like, but I am purposefully not announcing it to anyone but you to limit the traffic. I don't want hundreds of people hitting it day one and have it turn out to break all over the place. Plus, I have only added like 20 cameras. Rather work on that stuff now and slowly. I'm planning some fun stuff around the release to make it fun too and celebrate my hard work. 😁

How can you help?

Check out the website and run through a couple of scenarios for me. I'm in the "what breaks" phase. But feel free to give feedback about whatever you want. "This was worded funny" "This didn't make sense" "This didn't load when I clicked it" "Move this button" etc. When I open it to a limited group next month there will be a form with specific questions for the users to answer and it'll be more formal user testing.

Scenarios

• Use the filters to find cameras with specific specs
  • Select a camera and view its specs
  • Leave a review on a camera - it can be whatever and I'll delete it
  • Add a camera to the database
  • Sign out, and try to leave reviews/add cameras (should not be allowed)
  • Do those things and browse around on your phone (if you were doing it on your laptop, or vice versa)
  • Have fun 🙂

Blog writers

I'm also curious if any of you would like to be blog writers on the site. These will be articles related to old digital cameras in any form. I will be writing blog posts myself, but I have created the ability to allows others to be authorized as well. I wouldn't be able to pay you at this point (I'd like to one day, wouldn't that be sweet!). Just let me know and I can send you instructions to test that feature out and get some nice content out there before August.

Thank you

Lastly, thank you very much for everything. The community, the support, the friendship. You've given me confidence to get way out of my comfort zone and try new things, like this. It's uncomfortable to put your work on display for the whole world, especially in its infancy when it barely works, but your kindness gives me the ability to do that. Whether with this website, or with videos.

https://classiccameradatabase.com/

-james

SpruceBruce and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeek
Happy snappin' 🙂

Nice work James. Love the site/idea

It is uncomfortable to put yourself "out there" but you're nailing it.

I tried to sign up.

•  There is a link to sign in with email, but not one to sign up with email
  • Attempted to login with gmail and got this message:
    • Firebase: This domain is not authorized for OAuth operations for your Firebase project. Edit the list of authorized domains from the Firebase console. (auth/unauthorized-domain).  Dismiss

I'll cruise around some more. Keep it up!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from grover on June 24, 2022, 10:15 pm

I tried to sign up.

• Firebase: This domain is not authorized for OAuth operations for your Firebase project. Edit the list of authorized domains from the Firebase console. (auth/unauthorized-domain).  Dismiss

Okay, that sign in with email also lets you register if the email is one that is not recognized. I'll have to play with the wording to make that clearer. Good catch.

The other issue is one on the backend I'll look at fixing tomorrow, thanks for catching it.

Keep 'em coming!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on June 24, 2022, 6:34 pm

Hello all,

As some of you know I've been working on another website for the past few months. Thanks for those who have helped me thus far.

It's been a while but I made some pretty big updates since the last time I asked for some feedback. For one, we have a name now (woohoo!) but also the overall style has been (mostly) sorted out and we have a lot more features. I am preparing to release this to the general public in August, so I am hoping to use this time to iron out the bugs. This is the basic feature set in this first August release. Future enhancements are encouraged and will come after! 😀

Timeline

• Mid-July - Limited user group testing to include many from my YouTube community

Right now anyone can hit the site if they like, but I am purposefully not announcing it to anyone but you to limit the traffic. I don't want hundreds of people hitting it day one and have it turn out to break all over the place. Plus, I have only added like 20 cameras. Rather work on that stuff now and slowly. I'm planning some fun stuff around the release to make it fun too and celebrate my hard work. 😁

How can you help?

Check out the website and run through a couple of scenarios for me. I'm in the "what breaks" phase. But feel free to give feedback about whatever you want. "This was worded funny" "This didn't make sense" "This didn't load when I clicked it" "Move this button" etc. When I open it to a limited group next month there will be a form with specific questions for the users to answer and it'll be more formal user testing.

Scenarios

• Do those things and browse around on your phone (if you were doing it on your laptop, or vice versa)
  • Have fun 🙂

Blog writers

I'm also curious if any of you would like to be blog writers on the site. These will be articles related to old digital cameras in any form. I will be writing blog posts myself, but I have created the ability to allows others to be authorized as well. I wouldn't be able to pay you at this point (I'd like to one day, wouldn't that be sweet!). Just let me know and I can send you instructions to test that feature out and get some nice content out there before August.

Thank you

Lastly, thank you very much for everything. The community, the support, the friendship. You've given me confidence to get way out of my comfort zone and try new things, like this. It's uncomfortable to put your work on display for the whole world, especially in its infancy when it barely works, but your kindness gives me the ability to do that. Whether with this website, or with videos.

-james

Funny enough, I was about to ask you for insight on the Pentax K7, I’m looking to pick up an older K mount DSLR to convert to 830 NM IR for B&W.  Funny enough, lo and behold there it is!

Besides that rambling, something I noticed when you click on the individual cameras, the Helpful Links is in Black on a Dark grey background.  I think it’d be perfect with a white background and Black Text, as well the hyperlinks below it.  I’ve only briefly looked on an my Phone on Chrome Mobile, and currently on my IPad with Safari.

I’d love to contribute to the site in the future.  Fuji DSLR articles would be fun!

Looks great, for a WIP or Work in Progress as we say in aviation.  Quite the endeavor you’ve taken on!

Quote from SpruceBruce on June 25, 2022, 6:46 am

Hello all,

Timeline

How can you help?

Scenarios

• Have fun 🙂

Blog writers

Thank you

-james

Funny enough, I was about to ask you for insight on the Pentax K7, I’m looking to pick up an older K mount DSLR to convert to 830 NM IR for B&W.  Funny enough, lo and behold there it is!

Besides that rambling, something I noticed when you click on the individual cameras, the Helpful Links is in Black on a Dark grey background.  I think it’d be perfect with a white background and Black Text, as well the hyperlinks below it.  I’ve only briefly looked on an my Phone on Chrome Mobile, and currently on my IPad with Safari.

I’d love to contribute to the site in the future.  Fuji DSLR articles would be fun!

Looks great, for a WIP or Work in Progress as we say in aviation.  Quite the endeavor you’ve taken on!

An IR converted Pentax would be sweet 🙂 I loved my K-01 converted one (until it died). That had the K-5 sensor and performed super well, if that's helpful to you.

Could you maybe send me a screenshot of what you're seeing? I think I must have some css settings wrong because it doesn't show that way for me, even in Chrome. (maybe a dark mode/light mode setting? idk) I haven't tested in Safari yet so I'll download that and give it a go. My styling is definitely not great, it's my biggest weakness, but everything should be at least readable.. lol

Thanks!

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from grover on June 24, 2022, 10:15 pm

I tried to sign up.

Deployed a wording change and updated backend to support Google OAuth. I had forgot when I finally bought the domain to update that part 🙂 This is why I need people like you. Thanks

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on June 25, 2022, 6:46 am

Hello all,

Timeline

How can you help?

Scenarios

• Have fun 🙂

Blog writers

Thank you

-james

On further inspection it appears to be an issue with my styling and iOS devices, not browser specific. Thanks for catching it! It's really messed up lol

This is why at work we have tools that run out automation suites against actual devices of all kinds and all browsers. But I'm too cheap for that so I use you 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

Deployed fixes for the worst of the iOS styling issues, but some remain present. The site should at least be functional for iOS users now.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Perhaps one for the backlog @james-warner-b:

The sliders in the left gutter are perhaps a bit "to dynamic".

When I slide the filters (megapixels, price, year), the results are updated continuously as I'm sliding. Meanwhile the other static filters (checkbox for senor type and size etc) are being added/removed dynamically based on what's available for the current filter settings. This makes for a really chaotic left panel whereby the slider jumps up and down on the page and doesn't line up with my mouse pointer as I'm sliding the slider.

I realize this is a tricky UI dilemma. Not sure how best to solve this off hand. The easiest solution might be to wait for the user to release the mouse button on the slider before updating the search results and left gutter filters. The results would be "less dynamic" but also less "jumpy".

Hope that makes sense.

Another one for the backlog @james-warner-b

In addition to writing a review, it would be nice to collect some metrics from the user:

• Year of purchase
  • Purchase price
  • Country

You could drive some interesting stats on these inputs (price trends over time, price trends by country, etc). I realize old camera gear is sold in different condition and with accessories that can affect the price but law of averages would kick in once you hit a critical mass.

Page 1 of 3Next