Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My Pentax body collection (July 2021)

Page 1 of 2Next

I'm not overly proud to admit I'm a bit addicted to Pentax. Here's my latest collection of Pentax bodies of the yesteryears. In my mind, these bodies are big milestones for Pentax as a digital camera manufacturer:

1. Pentax *istD + D-BG1 - the very first digital K-mount paired with the pretty rare D-BG1. 6.1 MP CCD Sensor, penta-prism (unlike the DL and DS), two control wheels, more switches and buttons that the later models.
  2. Pentax K10D + D-BG2 - with WR, SR, and a 10MP CCD sensor, this was way ahead of its time. Thought I'd keep a copy as they can be ahead for cheap.
  3. Pentax K-5iis + D-BG4 - my latest addition and IMO one of the best Pentax bodies ever made. The AA-filter was ommitted on this model which was revolutionary at that time. Overall, this camera feels modern and performance-wise, not too far off from the KP. 16MP is a good resolution for general use. It also has a better high-ISO performance than the K-3 and K-3 ii.
  4. Pentax KP - D-BG7 - a Pentax body that's probably not going to be repeated again. Mid-range camera with the D-LI109 battery. I see it as the new version of the K-5. A unique thing about this body is that it can be very small when you want to. It almost feels like a mirrorless camera with the medium grip and a small lens. For serious stuff, the D-BG7 is there to boost the battery life and improves overall grip especially with bigger lenses.
  5. Pentax K-1 + D-BG6 - best Pentax ever made. I still rate it higher than the Katie. Waiting for the K-1 mk3.

What are your thoughts? Am I going crazy?  I feel like the K-5iis is a bit redundant as it's no better than the KP in most ways but man it's  such a good camera! The grip and battery life are better than the KP too. Perhaps the K10D can also be let go.. Hmmm not too sure.

SpruceBruce, BenignScrambler and Eye.n.Eye have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceBenignScramblerEye.n.Eye

I'd like to encourage you to expand to the film category more lol, there's not enough.  I've become a Pentax fanatic myself.  I started with Nikon, and it's becoming more and more unappealing to me.  I'm going to sell my Z50 soon, it doesn't get enough use anymore.  I'd wish Pentax would join the mirrorless market though.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

Haha, that's really funny how close your collection is to mine in some ways. I have one less digital body but it was the K5. I sold it and the K3 and got the KP. Still undecided if I really want to keep the *ist dl and K10D, but like you said, they are so cheap that I just keep them for the few times I want to go out and have fun.

I do really want to get the grip for the KP. It's a little tricky with the da* 300 which is the main reason I have it. It is great in all other ways too, but that was the reason I have it over just the K1.

K1 would be hard to get rid of. I really really like it and want lots of time to squeeze the most out of it.

My film bodies are an MX, K1000, P3 and Spotmatic. All I use still. The MX the most right now. Actually about to put out a little video on it.

Anyway. Yeah. It's a little crazy. But I feel like for the most part they all have their place. Maybe the *ist dl and K10D are redundant for my needs. I just like having an older Pentax digital body. As good as the ist dl is, I would probably just keep the K10D. It's quite capable.

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20210720_154449791.jpg
Tristan Carlos, SpruceBruce and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosSpruceBruceBenignScramblerEye.n.Eye
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 20, 2021, 10:00 am

I'd like to encourage you to expand to the film category more lol, there's not enough.  I've become a Pentax fanatic myself.  I started with Nikon, and it's becoming more and more unappealing to me.  I'm going to sell my Z50 soon, it doesn't get enough use anymore.  I'd wish Pentax would join the mirrorless market though.

I used to have a lot more (Spotmatic, Spotmatic F, K1000, KM, ME, MX, P30, SFX, MZ-5) but I figured I really only needed one. I figured I keep the black KX because, as much as I like the MX and its viewfinder it is too small and the KX is the perfect size. I also know how to disassemble and assemble it like the back of my hand.

Oh I almost forgot.. I have a 75th anniversary edition Z-1 (1 of 500 ever built) which I bought for 12 EUR..  😀

So two film bodies.. not including my 110 collection.

Uploaded files:
  • 57.jpeg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and BenignScrambler have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceBenignScrambler
Quote from Snappy on July 20, 2021, 3:56 pm

Haha, that's really funny how close your collection is to mine in some ways. I have one less digital body but it was the K5. I sold it and the K3 and got the KP. Still undecided if I really want to keep the *ist dl and K10D, but like you said, they are so cheap that I just keep them for the few times I want to go out and have fun.

I do really want to get the grip for the KP. It's a little tricky with the da* 300 which is the main reason I have it. It is great in all other ways too, but that was the reason I have it over just the K1.

K1 would be hard to get rid of. I really really like it and want lots of time to squeeze the most out of it.

My film bodies are an MX, K1000, P3 and Spotmatic. All I use still. The MX the most right now. Actually about to put out a little video on it.

Anyway. Yeah. It's a little crazy. But I feel like for the most part they all have their place. Maybe the *ist dl and K10D are redundant for my needs. I just like having an older Pentax digital body. As good as the ist dl is, I would probably just keep the K10D. It's quite capable.

Haha too close! Obviously, I get affected by your videos. 😉

I'm also thinking whether I'd keep the K-5iis. It is essentially a cropped version of the K-1 with the same (or almost the same) pixel density. I have just bought it for next to nothing with the intention to test it out and perhaps sell for a profit but once I hold it, it's screaming "keeep meee". It's such a good camera and it has aged so well!

If I were to keep one CCD sensor, I'd keep the original *ist D just because it is harder to find. The K10D is abundant in Europe! In Germany, the *ist D is actually more expensive than the K10D because of its rarity. Not sure in other markets.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from tristancarlos on July 20, 2021, 5:24 pm
Quote from SpruceBruce on July 20, 2021, 10:00 am

I used to have a lot more (Spotmatic, Spotmatic F, K1000, KM, ME, MX, P30, SFX, MZ-5) but I figured I really only needed one. I figured I keep the black KX because, as much as I like the MX and its viewfinder it is too small and the KX is the perfect size. I also know how to disassemble and assemble it like the back of my hand.

Oh I almost forgot.. I have a 75th anniversary edition Z-1 (1 of 500 ever built) which I bought for 12 EUR..  😀

So two film bodies.. not including my 110 collection.

Cool Z-1. I will pick up an AF film body one of these days. Part of me wants to go all out and get the mz-s or whatever that big flagship one was. But the other part of me would rather spend that money on a lens and just get one of the many other cheap bodies 😛 I would like to try my fa43mm on an AF film. Maybe some of my F primes too now that I have that going.

As for the *ist prices, it really depends in the states. Sometimes it does jump up because of rarity, but typically it's a bit cheaper than the K10D. The DL at least. I haven't paid much attention to the models in my searches. I could see the original going for more .

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Nice Z-1 indeed! That was my first AF camera, I had the USA version, or PZ-1. At the time it felt like a nice upgrade over the ME-Super I had started with, although nowadays I wouldn't be so sure about that. I bought it new in 1994, and sold it around 2000-2001. One of the few Pentaxes I actually sold.

I should shoot a family photo of the ones I have one of these days:

- Black ME Super (recent purchase, $25 on ebay, couldn't resist the price and that black paint)
- 2x Black MX - these were my main cameras at the end of the film era, along with a Leica M6
- K1000, because everybody has to have one of those, no?
- ZX-5n (MZ-5n outside of USA), used it for a while but the MX had a way better screen and AF was blah anyway. This one is dead last time I checked, some common mirror issue, not worth repairing.
- "Black" Spotmatic. It was silver, came with some lenses bought on ebay back in the late 90s, was in super bad shape and for some reason had all the Pentax badges scratched out. Spray painted it black, it actually doesn't look too bad and it works just fine.
- *ist D. My first DSLR, never thought about selling it
- K10D, second DSLR, gave it away to my nephew but a few years later I gave him my K3 so I got the K10D back 🙂
- K5, first DSLR that I would be perfectly fine using today in terms of image quality.
- Q7 (this counts too, yes?)
- MX-1 (yeah yeah I know, not just a "body", but this camera is a little jewel)

I can quit any time I want, thank you very much 🙂

James Warner, Tristan Carlos and Eye.n.Eye have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosEye.n.Eye

I had to sign up, just to say that's a great collection Tristan!

I can definitely relate to the Pentax DSLR addiction. I saw a *istD on eBay the other day in horrible condition, and it took all of my effort NOT to purchase it. I didn't need it, I just wanted to purchase "the original" Pentax DSLR and add it to my collection. I already have the exact sensor in a newer body (The K100D, purchased just because its the first SR Pentax haha).

I was proud of myself for a few days, only to break my self control over the weekend, and impulse buy a K1 haha. The price was right, and my plan is to convert it to full spectrum, as I already have a K1ii.

In typing this story out, its clear, I have a serious problem haha.

James Warner, Tristan Carlos and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerTristan CarlosSpruceBruce

My current lineup,

The Q, MZ-S, wallet destroyer aka 6x7, my KP, and the original camera that started my Pentax journey!

I love that every one of these bodies have metal construction, something that the other major manufacturers lack.

I'd like to maybe upgrade to the K1 eventually, and swap my LX100 out for a GR or MX-1.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20210721_201727172.jpg
Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Quote from Eye.n.Eye on July 21, 2021, 8:52 am

I had to sign up, just to say that's a great collection Tristan!

I can definitely relate to the Pentax DSLR addiction. I saw a *istD on eBay the other day in horrible condition, and it took all of my effort NOT to purchase it. I didn't need it, I just wanted to purchase "the original" Pentax DSLR and add it to my collection. I already have the exact sensor in a newer body (The K100D, purchased just because its the first SR Pentax haha).

I was proud of myself for a few days, only to break my self control over the weekend, and impulse buy a K1 haha. The price was right, and my plan is to convert it to full spectrum, as I already have a K1ii.

In typing this story out, its clear, I have a serious problem haha.

Thanks!

That's a huuuuge impulse buy haha. Yeah, it's really tough. I thought I had everything and then a reasonably priced Sigma 35mm 1.4 popped up and I "accidentally" bought it.

I'm beginning to think that the only cure is to find a new hobby.  :]

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceEye.n.Eye
Page 1 of 2Next