Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My now complete Pentax-F prime collection!

Page 1 of 2Next

Thanks to the generous donation of another photographer and fan of old cameras and lenses, my Pentax-F prime lens collection is complete.

This, to me, represents a very special line of lenses created during a special time in photographic history. They are wonderful optically while still maintaining a more classic look that refined modern lenses sometimes lack. Autofocus on this Pentax Z-1P works fantastic and is quick and snappy.

I had planned to start releasing my individual reviews for some of these lenses by now, but when I received the rest I decided that I really ought to try and shoot them all on film as well as digital. Shooting them as they were designed on a era appropriate camera. So, those videos will be delayed but hopefully more special when they come out.

The final remaining lenses addd to my collection by an anonymous donor were the Pentax-F 50mm f1.4, Pentax-F 50mm f2.8 Macro, and the Pentax-F 85mm f2.8 Soft focus. The two 50’s are working fantastic as expected, and I look forward to sharing more results with you over the coming months. The 85mm soft is a very interested lens and one I am still trying to figure out. Stopping down the aperture changes the amount of the softness effect until the lens is perfectly sharp as a normal lens. The softness doesn’t just look like a lens that lacks sharpness, but it blooms the highlights as well. I think if I can figure out how to use it best I can get some interesting results.

The missing pieces of the Pentax-F prime collection would be the F* telephoto primes, but I am not counting those. To me, those are really a different set of lenses. And while I’m sure they are fantastic, I already have my DA* 300mm which I love, and the F* 600mm is thousands of dollars. So… yeah…

Uploaded files:
  • BD9BA18E-C3E0-4BDF-9D17-4AD6F8BF347D.jpeg
Tristan Carlos, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceHeggenDazs
Happy snappin' 🙂

Such a neat looking collection 👍 I'm curious to see your results with the soft focus 85mm. Not sure if it's similar to the Laowa 105mm f/2 Smooth trans focus. Sounds like a similar effect!

Laowa 105mm f/2 Smooth Trans Focus (STF)

Quote from Snappy on October 25, 2021, 4:17 pm

The 85mm soft is a very interested lens and one I am still trying to figure out. Stopping down the aperture changes the amount of the softness effect until the lens is perfectly sharp as a normal lens. The softness doesn’t just look like a lens that lacks sharpness, but it blooms the highlights as well. I think if I can figure out how to use it best I can get some interesting results.

Time to get out the pastel colors and the hairspray, a good ol 80s themed Halloween party for you to try out that 85 soft.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Quote from Beau Carpenter on October 26, 2021, 6:10 pm

Such a neat looking collection 👍 I'm curious to see your results with the soft focus 85mm. Not sure if it's similar to the Laowa 105mm f/2 Smooth trans focus. Sounds like a similar effect!

https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-105mm-f2/

Interesting, I hadn't seen that one. It could be a similar idea. It sounds similar. I'll post some samples if I remember later.

Quote from HeggenDazs on October 26, 2021, 6:13 pm
Quote from Snappy on October 25, 2021, 4:17 pm

The 85mm soft is a very interested lens and one I am still trying to figure out. Stopping down the aperture changes the amount of the softness effect until the lens is perfectly sharp as a normal lens. The softness doesn’t just look like a lens that lacks sharpness, but it blooms the highlights as well. I think if I can figure out how to use it best I can get some interesting results.

Time to get out the pastel colors and the hairspray, a good ol 80s themed Halloween party for you to try out that 85 soft.

I had that exact thought actually. Asked my wife if she knew how to make her hair look 80s. 😆

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Just won an auction for the Pentax-F 50mm Prime on ebay. Can't wait to start shooting with that, I already have several of Pentax-F lenses and looking to complete the collection.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
Quote from HeggenDazs on October 27, 2021, 8:55 pm

Just won an auction for the Pentax-F 50mm Prime on ebay. Can't wait to start shooting with that, I already have several of Pentax-F lenses and looking to complete the collection.

Which one? The f1.7? That one is especially a bargain. The f2.8 macro and f1.4 are very nice but can get quite pricey because of rarity these days. The 50mm f1.7 is plenty sharp and nice bokeh wide open.

Happy snappin' 🙂

the f1.7, grabbed it for about $60.

Sweet, you should have a good time with it!

Happy snappin' 🙂

@james-warner-b currently on the fence with three lenses, curious if you have some thoughts. I'm looking at the Pentax-F 28mm, the 50mm 1.4 and the 100mm Macro. I think those 3 would be very worthwhile investments and unique additions to the collection. I already have the 50mm 1.7, do you find the 1.4 to be much different than that lens in terms of sharpness? I've already decided if I were to get a Pentax 1.4 that the FA is out, I've heard far too many complaints about image quality being a big downgrade from the Pentax-F 1.4. And do you have any complaints with the Macro?

Quote from HeggenDazs on February 8, 2022, 4:46 pm

@james-warner-b currently on the fence with three lenses, curious if you have some thoughts. I'm looking at the Pentax-F 28mm, the 50mm 1.4 and the 100mm Macro. I think those 3 would be very worthwhile investments and unique additions to the collection. I already have the 50mm 1.7, do you find the 1.4 to be much different than that lens in terms of sharpness? I've already decided if I were to get a Pentax 1.4 that the FA is out, I've heard far too many complaints about image quality being a big downgrade from the Pentax-F 1.4. And do you have any complaints with the Macro?

No complaints about the macro. The coatings on the newer 100mm macros are better, but I haven't found it to be much of an issue. It's incredibly sharp.

I actually don't think I'd bother too much with the 50 1.4 over the 50 1.7. It's not exciting enough of a difference. Maybe I should do a direct side-by-side and see if it convinces me otherwise. It's a great lens, but so is the 50 1.7 and it's much cheaper.

The F 28mm is one of my favorite lenses ever. I really like how it renders on APSC and FF. Just enough character while also being very sharp. Colors look great. Big fan of it, especially if you grab it for a good price.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
Happy snappin' 🙂
Page 1 of 2Next