Please or Register to create posts and topics.

My Best Shots Using My Pentax K-3 Over The Years

The Pentax K-3 Mk III has been announced and almost everything you would want to know about it was revealed. It will be released sometime around February next year, barring more virus related delays. I admit, it looks cool. All that talk about the viewfinder (and let's be honest, it has been quite a lot of talk) has me really interested to hold one up to my eye. But, being cheap and content with my current gear means that probably won't happen for a number of years. Instead of dwelling on the new guy, I thought it would be fun to share my best photos over the years taken on my K-3. Here are some of my favorites with a little backstory on them. After you finish checking this story out, head on over to the forum and share your own favorite K-3 pictures from over the years.

Students Walking Home From Class

The weather sealing of both the K-3 and 18-135mm lens came in handy here.

This picture means a lot to me because besides the test shots in my dorm room this was the first picture I took on the K-3 after buying it used back in 2015. I paid $730, including an 18-135 WR lens. Felt like a steal after selling my $1k+ Canon 70D at the time.

The picture is taken on the 18-135. It was snowing, sort of. The type of snow that doesn't stick and is mostly wet. Not a condition I would have ever dreamed of taking the Canon out in. I was walking home from a late study group and liked the way the headlights were coming in, highlighting the snow, but didn't have high hopes for the image itself. The people walking ended up looking so lively and friendly, and the scene looked so true to how it felt walking home in that weather. Peeking at the back of the camera I got a big grin on my face knowing it was winner. You know that feeling. It's addicting. And here we are, five years later, still shooting with the K-3.

Lightning Over Tuscany

The Rokinon 14mm f2.8 lens is a bulky one to travel with, but it sure looks nice.

Sticking with the dark and moody theme and fast-forwarding years later is this picture taken on a two-week trip to Italy to visit family. No, I am not part Italian, unless you count the amount of buffalo mozzarella balls I can eat in one sitting. Actually, that skill sounds uniquely American. Dangit.

Anyways, I have been twice to the country and love it. This particular trip we stayed at a place just outside of Pisa and as we were settling in for the night this storm came in. If I had felt more gutsy, I would have picked a composition over the neighboring vineyard, but I didn't want to walk around someone else's property, especially when I can't speak the language. I am still happy with the light posts. It was taken with the Rokinon 14mm f2.8 lens, stopped down to allow for long eight second exposures. I took several just to see if I got lucky with lightning strikes. This method works out fairly well, actually.

Clouds Over Bryce Canyon Utah

Don't let an opportunity pass you by.

Sure, the picture looks nice. I love the colors and the variations in light and texture. But what makes this one of my favorite pictures over the years is the lesson I learned from it.

My wife and I were hiking in Bryce Canyon for two days and finished almost every trail. When heading home after the final day, my wife remarked that I hadn't taken a picture from the overlook yet. I grumbled something about how "that's where everyone and their dog takes a picture" and initially passed on the opportunity as we hiked up the back side on the way back to the shuttle. Yes, the parks have shuttles down there in Utah. Very handy, but it also makes it feel a little too much like Disney Land for my taste. The accessibility for more people to see things makes it better though.

Despite my initial refusal, I changed my mind and decided to frame up a shot real quick. What you see what my only shot. What I didn't see at the time was the unique beauty of the clouds and light. All I was thinking about is how I didn't want to look like a tourist. It is now one of my favorite shots from the trip. Not only is it pretty, but it represents that day in my memory really well. I learned to stop thinking so much about what other people may think and just take photos.

What are some of your favorite shots on the K-3 from over the years? Head to the discussion topic on the forum and post your photos and stories there.

agentlossing, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
agentlossingBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' 🙂

Like you, my best shots on my K-3II are from vacations. I'm not what you would call a "real" photographer. I rarely go out with the goal of trying to take a great image. But on vacation with my wife, it's my "job" to take the photos and videos. Among the thousands of images I take on each trip, I do tend to get one ot two that stand out such as this panorama of a sunrise from Tucson, Arizona.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and Gawad have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceGawad