Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Mr. Snappiness has made me want soft focus

I blame today's YouTube upload (he replied to my comment and everything! How lovely).

I really fancy a soft focus lens. I've used the Canon 135mm soft focus, which was sort of cool, but I was wondering... With the influx of more unusual lenses being produced recently, is there a thoroughly modern micro 4/3 soft focus lens being produced?

Yep, it's a bit niche... Second prize if there is a Sony A mount soft focus. Thanks for any help!

SpruceBruce and Daniel Gonzalez have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceDaniel Gonzalez

Haha! It's a really interesting effect I'm trying to figure out a use for. I'm sure I could get something cool looking from it. Gotta get more creative.

I haven't personally used any Lensbaby lenses, but I think this would be the best bet for modern quirky soft effect lenses. You'll have to flip through them and see which has the look you're going for (either Velvet or Sweet, maybe?)

https://lensbaby.com/

Curious if anyone has played with any of these lenses before and has samples and thoughts to share.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from ThePrettyDamned on November 20, 2022, 5:42 pm

I blame today's YouTube upload (he replied to my comment and everything! How lovely).

I really fancy a soft focus lens. I've used the Canon 135mm soft focus, which was sort of cool, but I was wondering... With the influx of more unusual lenses being produced recently, is there a thoroughly modern micro 4/3 soft focus lens being produced?

Yep, it's a bit niche... Second prize if there is a Sony A mount soft focus. Thanks for any help!

I believe lensbaby has M43 mounts, and I think some of the F/.095 lenses made by 7Artisans have some softness to them.  You can also adapt C & D mount to M43, I had good results with a Soligor 38mm F1.9 Cine Lens...here's some sample shots @ F8, if you open it up wider you get pretty soft results.  I know you said you're wanting modern, but it's an option I wouldn't rule out.

You can pretty cheap CCTV lenses & adapters of Amazon/Ebay too

Amazon.com : Pixco 25mm F1.4 CCTV Lens for C Mount Camera + 16mm C Mount Film Lens to Micro Four Thirds 4/3 Camera Lens Adapter : Electronics

FYI

There is a Pentax 85mm Soft lens on usedphotopro right now, if anyone wanted to try their hand at 80’s glamour shots.

PENTAX F 85MM F2.8 SMC SOFT LENS

SKU

UAP-06-5400-3 1862128
Used Condition

Excellent

I have used a screw on wide angle converter on my 42.5mm 1.7 lens and that was essentially the softest focus possible.

Is that even street bro?

Old zoom lenses can be quite soft as well, if you want that effect! Quite cheap as well.

Edit: older teleconverters are super soft as well.

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from ThePrettyDamned on November 20, 2022, 5:42 pm

For the A mount? The Minolta 100mm f2.8 Soft Focus is the only one I can think of, I suppose you could also use the Minolta 85mm f2.8 Varisoft with an adapter, my Minolta MD to Sony A adapter already makes the focus slightly soft since it has an element to get infinity focus (and a focus confirmation chip, which tells the camera it is a 50mm f1.7 which sometimes causes problems lol), so it might be doubly soft to put it through an adapter.

ThePrettyDamned has reacted to this post.
ThePrettyDamned