Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Minolta-V Mount Anyone?

I love when I learn something totally new - like about an autofocusing SLR mount that I never knew existed!

Did anyone else not know about the Minolta V mount? It's an APS mount originally designed for a film camera, and used on one digital camera - in total only three cameras ever used the mount.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Minolta_V_mount

Except for the rarer lenses like the macro and wide angle, the lenses can be had super cheap on old Minolta S-1 or S-100 bodies. If you want to adapt, and adapter for the Sony E mount that even allows aperture control exists (I'm pretty sure it has aperture control, may be wrong.) Because autofocus isn't supported, only some of the lenses are recommended for adapting because not all of them have manual focus rings.

I'm tempted to grab one or two for kicks and create a 3d printed adapter for M43 or something. What I would really like is to pick up the only digital camera to use this mount, the Minolta RD-3000, which is so cool it deserves it's own thread. Unfortunately, it looks very hard to come by.

ahoyhere has reacted to this post.
ahoyhere
Happy snappin' 🙂

Have you considered the Nikon Pronea? As it easier to adapt and it has the same Aspc film niche. Having older Nikon lenses means there are no motors in the lens so you control more.

I think you only need an F to M43 adapter.

The Minolta RD-3000 looks seriously cool.

Quote from Lim on June 29, 2022, 7:58 am

Have you considered the Nikon Pronea? As it easier to adapt and it has the same Aspc film niche. Having older Nikon lenses means there are no motors in the lens so you control more.

I had not heard of that camera either! I guess I didn't know much about the brief 90s APS SLR setups. So from my brief reading the Pronea cameras used the same Nikon F mount, but there may have been a few Nikon IX lenses made specifically for the Pronea cameras?

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on June 29, 2022, 2:30 pm
Quote from Lim on June 29, 2022, 7:58 am

I had not heard of that camera either! I guess I didn't know much about the brief 90s APS SLR setups. So from my brief reading the Pronea cameras used the same Nikon F mount, but there may have been a few Nikon IX lenses made specifically for the Pronea cameras?

Hi, there were a few lenses Ken Rockwell details them see below:

Nikon IX (APS) Lenses (kenrockwell.com)

In regard to the Pronea line.

Pronea lenses shouldn't be used on F mount cameras as they will damage the mirror. However, as the design of the mount and flange distance is the same (other than a small protrusion that hits the mirror) An F to M43 adapter will work with Pronea lenses (clearly the mirror is not present in this setup). It's useful to get the slightly more expensive adapter with an aperture control ring like the one below that will allow you to have full manual controls. The only real issue is you don't know the specific aperture number you are shooting at. But I guess if you are shooting for fun does it really matter?

I have been tempted to try a Pronea lens with the adapter as the cameras are very cheap in the UK.

See the source image

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce