Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Microprism or Split Image Focusing Screen for K-1

I know it’s possible to replace the focusing screen in the Pentax K-1. I love the Pentax SMC manuals and currently use them adapted on a Canon R6 Mark II. Does anyone know a reputable service that could replace the screen? I don’t have a K-1 yet, just a K-50, but if I find one for the right price at the right time… thanks. 

I have heard that https://www.focusingscreen.com/ <-- this company is a reputable place to buy from, I'm not sure about installation though. Quickly glancing at the instructions, it doesn't seem terribly difficult, but I'm not sure I'd want to risk it with a more expensive body either. I briefly looked into swapping out the focusing screen on my SD1 but from what I've read it does make your metering less accurate since you are effectively punching a hole in the middle of the matte screen.

I haven't ever done this on the Pentax K-1, but I have with other Pentax DSLRs and it is super easy. You can access the focusing screen from inside the mirror box and releasing two tabs. I haven't used that focusing screen website Cory posted, but just got lucky finding some on eBay. 

Happy snappin' 🙂

The other thing I read was the use of shims to properly center the prism may be necessary. That's one of the reasons I thought about looking for a service.