Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Manual focus prime Lens Club

I really love manual focus prime lens. So much so that before going on several trips I've forgoten I own an af zoom.

My favourite is my sigma mini wide II 28mm that is incredibly sharp in perfect condition that cost me only £15!

Below is a photo of a bee taken on my pentax kr.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP8733-min.jpg
  • IMGP8733_01-min.jpg
SpruceBruce and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeek

Yep I think manual focus lenses add to the creative experience and engage you in the process more. Lee Ivesen made video not long ago where he did sport photography with a 70-210 F4 manual lens. There are some great lenses like the Super Takumars, Pentax Ms or Minoltas are give superb results for a very small cost. The below image was taken on a Sony A7 II with Pentax M 50mm F1.4

Uploaded files:
  • DSC1058-Edit.jpg
SpruceBruce, Lock5 and ahoyhere have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceLock5ahoyhere
Kieran
Quote from kcphotogeek on April 23, 2022, 3:52 pm

Yep I think manual focus lenses add to the creative experience and engage you in the process more. Lee Ivesen made video not long ago where he did sport photography with a 70-210 F4 manual lens. There are some great lenses like the Super Takumars, Pentax Ms or Minoltas are give superb results for a very small cost. The below image was taken on a Sony A7 II with Pentax M 50mm F1.4

Completely agree with you, it does bring you more in to it and I think you feel better with the end reult when you capture that shot exactly as you want it.

Love the picture by the way.

SpruceBruce and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucekcphotogeek
Quote from Lock5 on April 23, 2022, 4:10 pm
Completely agree with you, it does bring you more in to it and I think you feel better with the end reult when you capture that shot exactly as you want it.

Love the picture by the way.

Thanks, I have come under attack on other platforms for suggesting that AF may not be as important as people think. For example most landscape photographers will manual focus, same for street photographers. Sports/Action/Wildlife yes AF is important. So unless AF is important to your genre of photography you could stand to save a lot of money going manual, for example the Voightlander Nokton 40mm F1.4 is as cheap as many kit lenses but the IQ is outstanding.

SpruceBruce and ahoyhere have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceahoyhere
Kieran

Agreed all around! I love manual focus. Manual focus to me feels more like photography than messing with the exposure triangle, in fact… I'm an aperture or shutter priority girl.

I want a great autofocus lens for birds and (other people's) kids and that's about it.

I still managed to get this manually on a Tamron BBAR 90mm 2.5 macro on Sigma fp. It was a challenge, tho!

SDIM0144-2 by Amy Hoy, on Flickr

Love your composition @kcphotogeek!

And I am really impressed with that Sigma lens, @jackb!

SpruceBruce and JackB have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJackB