Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Lumix LX-1 - Now with video review

Page 1 of 2Next

A new ebay purchase and quite the bargain.

A Lumix LX-1, a 8.4mp CCD camera which was released back in 2005. It's also the first 16:9 sensor, so you can shoot widescreen and use the entire sensor, it was also one of the first compact-bodied P&S cameras to feature RAW captures. It does have a reputation for great image quality at ISO 64 and 100, and for hideous levels of noise at ISO 200 and 400, which is its ISO limit, so hopefully the OIS will help with keeping to lower ISO's.

It's got a 28mm to 112mm equivalent, f2.8-4 Leica branded lens, and the camera was sold by Leica as the D-Lux 2.

I managed to pick up this pretty much immaculate example, with three spare batteries, for £60, which is roughly $75.

I will post up some images once I've had time to give it a go.

Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 16, 2023, 12:03 pm

A Lumix LX-1, a 8.4mp CCD camera which was released back in 2005. It's also the first 16:9 sensor, so you can shoot widescreen and use the entire sensor, it was also one of the first compact-bodied P&S cameras to feature RAW captures. It does have a reputation for great image quality at ISO 64 and 100, and for hideous levels of noise at ISO 200 and 400, which is its ISO limit, so hopefully the OIS will help with keeping to lower ISO's.

It's got a 28mm to 112mm equivalent, f2.8-4 Leica branded lens, and the camera was sold by Leica as the D-Lux 2.

I managed to pick up this pretty much immaculate example, with three spare batteries, for £60, which is roughly $75.

That's a great pickup! I'm excited to see the results and hear your thoughts.

I had the LX3 for a short while but ended up selling it fairly quickly. It wasn't a very fair shot though, because I bought it in a lot of other compact cameras including my Panasonic GX1 and 20mm f1.7 lens, which ended up being a favorite of mine. So, I ended up not using it and shipped it away fairly quickly.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂

Nice! I got a super soft spot for pocket point and shoots. I was thrown off by the golden L in the corner though! I always assumed it was the logo of the L-mount alliance, but seeing is this camera is fixed and a 1/1.65" sensor, so it must mean something else?

Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from James Warner on April 19, 2023, 2:43 am
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 16, 2023, 12:03 pm

That's a great pickup! I'm excited to see the results and hear your thoughts.

I had the LX3 for a short while but ended up selling it fairly quickly. It wasn't a very fair shot though, because I bought it in a lot of other compact cameras including my Panasonic GX1 and 20mm f1.7 lens, which ended up being a favorite of mine. So, I ended up not using it and shipped it away fairly quickly.

I've got a GX7 as part of my M43 kit as well but wanted to give the LX1 a go more out of curiosity, BTW if you've not tried one, the Olympus 45mm f1.8 for M43 is a stunning lens and can be picked up really cheap.

Quote from Justin Tung on April 20, 2023, 2:37 am

Nice! I got a super soft spot for pocket point and shoots. I was thrown off by the golden L in the corner though! I always assumed it was the logo of the L-mount alliance, but seeing is this camera is fixed and a 1/1.65" sensor, so it must mean something else?

I always assumed the L was a Lumix logo, however, the Lumix LX-1 does have a Leica connection, as it's the same camera as the Leica D-Lux 2 (minor body differences, JPEG processing, and a few hundred pounds in price aside).

I haven't used the Olympus 45mm f1.8 yet, but you're not the first person to recommend it! Right now I only have the Panasonic G7 which I use for all my video. I also take some stills on it but mostly just for video stuff. I want another compact M43 body for photography but can't decide which body I want to try next...

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on April 20, 2023, 7:47 pm

I haven't used the Olympus 45mm f1.8 yet, but you're not the first person to recommend it! Right now I only have the Panasonic G7 which I use for all my video. I also take some stills on it but mostly just for video stuff. I want another compact M43 body for photography but can't decide which body I want to try next...

The 45/1.8 will not disappoint, I use it and a Lumix 20mm f1.7 for music and band photography and they are a great pairing for low light.

M43 body wise I have a Lumix GX-7 which I really like, and I think is a great cost/features balance for that faux-rangefinder form, and the tilting OVF is far more useful than I ever imagined it would be. My main M43 body is an Olympus EM-1 Mk II, which has consistently blown me away from the first time I used it. It's compact, absurdly well built, and handles extremely well, and I love the image quality, even the noise has quite a film-grain-like quality to it.

This was taken on the EM-1 with the 45/1.8, info is ISO 2500 / f1.8 / 1/100

A few images from my first week or so with the LX1, thoughts, and feedback are welcome, and I will post my thoughts on it as a camera soon.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 27, 2023, 10:14 pm

A few images from my first week or so with the LX1, thoughts, and feedback are welcome, and I will post my thoughts on it as a camera soon.

Fantastic photos! These are amazing!

Quote from SpruceBruce on April 28, 2023, 3:33 am
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on April 27, 2023, 10:14 pm

Fantastic photos! These are amazing!

Many thanks.

I had this camera a couple of years ago and it's great

Page 1 of 2Next