Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Looking for advise

My Pentax K10d of which i have had for 14 years is showing signs of a slow and eventual death of its sensor, I am considering upgrading.  Since i have a good collection of modern and vintage Pentax lens, I want to stick with Pentax.  I am currently looking at K-70, Ks2 or a Kp.  I am not concerned so much with video since I own other video centric equipment.  I tend to buy new or newish.  Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks!

Hi there,

So I am thinking, isn't the K70 affected by the black photos thing? I think the K30, K50 are and also the K70 but please someone confirm this. So if it is affected by this, I would skip it.

A part from those cameras have you considered looking for a K3 or K3-II? They are quite cheap at the moment second hand, and maybe those are what you are looking for ¿?

Hope it helps,

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

It's true the K-70 can have the aperture block issue. It's a tough thing because it's a really great camera at a really nice price. I still ended up recommending it to a family member, with the caveat that it could develop this issue. It's unclear what percentage of units have the problem. It's high enough to be a regular occurrence on help forums, but low enough to keep selling and manufacturing the unit as-is. I had a chance to use one for a week or so and really enjoyed it.

The KP doesn't have that issue. It is more expensive but with some more features if you're interested in them. The build is also very different. I just sold mine but really enjoyed it for the last year. The IQ is excellent, and I felt like it did even better at high ISO than even my K-1 (but that's subjective, I haven't looked at the charts yet to verify that). Feels more premium than the K-70. Not that the K-70 feels particularly cheap, as I said, I enjoyed that camera too.

I agree with @red5isalive that looking at a K-3/K-3II is not a bad idea too. There's used K-3's from $300-$400 range and that represents a real value. They are flagship cameras and really show with the build, handling and feature set. While a few years old, I think you'd really be impressed with the dynamic range and ISO abilities over your K10D.

The K-70 can be had new, the KP might be if you find old stock or lightly used model. The K-3 would be near impossible to find new, and hard to find one that hasn't been used a bit.

No experience with the k-s2 but I know they don't produce that model anymore either.

Daniel Gonzalez and TSTS have reacted to this post.
Daniel GonzalezTSTS
Happy snappin' 🙂

So basically, find another K10D or roll the dice on the KP or KS2.  I have not looked at the K-3 I will do some research.  Oh Pentax with your quirky nuances! I currently have a Pentax Q with 7 lens, it is a blast to use, but just feel lost without a bigger DSLR.  Granted, I maybe should not panic.  Thanks for your quick response and abundant information, I have not been in the camera marketplace for a while and I been buying some "fun cameras" my latest interesting find was a new in the box Pentax I-10...it is ok.

I believe the K-3 mkII will work with newer PLM lenses, originally it didn’t but I believe there was a firmware update. It tends to be cheaper than the KP.

Probably depends on what you shoot for landscapes portraits etc the KP is probably better, sports/wildlife the K-3 mkII would edge it. I’m considering the K-3 MkII myself, it’s available new here in the Philippines for about 1000USD, hoping to haggle it down

TSTS has reacted to this post.
TSTS
Kieran
Quote from TSTS on January 1, 2022, 6:07 pm

So basically, find another K10D or roll the dice on the KP or KS2.  I have not looked at the K-3 I will do some research.  Oh Pentax with your quirky nuances! I currently have a Pentax Q with 7 lens, it is a blast to use, but just feel lost without a bigger DSLR.  Granted, I maybe should not panic.  Thanks for your quick response and abundant information, I have not been in the camera marketplace for a while and I been buying some "fun cameras" my latest interesting find was a new in the box Pentax I-10...it is ok.

I mean, even a K5 is a great camera. You can really enjoy it.

But from the list we are talking over here the ones I have experience with are the K3 Series (except of the newest K3-III that I do not own but have had the chance to play with 3 times).

Check info about the K3's and see if it convince you. For the price I think it is a great deal. They were flagship cameras (aps-c of course) once, and that shall say it all. Now, are they as much fun as the K10? Problem I see here is the sensor. The K10's used a CCD sensor, and newer cameras like the ones we speak about use CMOS sensors. They say CCD's used to offer more vivid colours. So take this in consideration also when buying. I mean, any of the cameras we have been talking about use the newer CMOS sensors, but just to notice that out.

By instance I let you here this test because I trust those guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obRn__ZBq2A

Maybe it helps.

BR,

TSTS has reacted to this post.
TSTS
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo