Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Looking for a backpack replacement

Page 1 of 2Next

Hi guys,

I have the Manfrotto Veloce VII backpack in white and it works great for me, but the zipper has been a bit weak for a couple months/years now and I am affraid that backpack won't last much longer. A part from this it has some scratches on the back, and I think basically what's happening here is that it's falling apart.

I think I bought it 8-10 years ago or similar, and it has been my workhorse.

It's been in the snow in Sweden, in the dust here in Catalunya and has travelled the world with me.

What do I like from it?

• Size, allows me to add 2 bodies with their grips, 3-4-5-6 lenses depending on their size, and a laptop (15,6")
  • That is opened by the back (rather difficult for anyone trying to steal you)
  • That is rain covered itself and doesn't need any extra covers
  • That is confortable in my back.
  • That somehow doesn't looks that much as a photographer's bag (a plus for me, if it says Lowepro you know you are calling thiefs on you)
  • I bought it on sales for around 80-100$ (around 75 to 85€ at the time I believe), price is also important :S

So how do I use it?

For walks (at racetracks or even on holidays trekking paths) and or having it in the back of my car, on trips (by plane usually).

This is the model just for you to understand a bit better what is it

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762174-REG/Manfrotto_MB_SB390_7BB_Veloce_VII_Backpack_Black.html

I am looking for a rugged backpack.

And I don't know where to find a good replacement.

Do you guys have any ideas?

I have seen the Lowepro flipside 400 that also opens by the back and it's alright but that badge is like having a Leica badge on you. Someone else's told me about the Endurax backpacks (never heard of them before) and this one doesn't look that bad:

So basically I am open to suggestions if you have any,

Thank you very much!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo

I'm not much help. I eventually settled on using an Osprey backpack which is a normal adventure backpack but I put different camera pads on the inside depending what I'm carrying.

The advantages are no obvious camera bag, excellent best-in-class comfort (camera bags are not so good at this), and using the camera bag for other parts of adventuring.

The main disadvantage to me is that there's no dedicated camera entrance, so you don't have the back access like you are wanting. For me it's not a huge deal, but I am also carrying much less gear with it.

For more gear but still a proper adventure backpack I've eyed the Atlas backpacks. These look really good, but are very expensive. Even on the used market they are still a few hundred. https://atlaspacks.com/

Shimoda is in the same boat. The bags look nice, and while not as rugged still look good for most adventuring. Also expensive but a little less: https://shimodadesigns.com/home/

But for now I think I'll stick with the best hiking/biking backpacks and stick my camera in it somehow. They are cheaper, the best quality, the most comfortable, and probably outlast most if not all camera bags.

I also used a lowepro before and was impressed for it's value. They pop up used a lot for cheap, and if you can get one of those nicer ones for $30-60 like I have, it's hard to beat. Although as you said, probably the most recognized name other than a brand name Canon bag.

Get a brand name Pentax bag, no thief will no what that is 😉

Daniel Gonzalez has reacted to this post.
Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on June 26, 2023, 2:27 am

I'm not much help. I eventually settled on using an Osprey backpack which is a normal adventure backpack but I put different camera pads on the inside depending what I'm carrying.

The advantages are no obvious camera bag, excellent best-in-class comfort (camera bags are not so good at this), and using the camera bag for other parts of adventuring.

The main disadvantage to me is that there's no dedicated camera entrance, so you don't have the back access like you are wanting. For me it's not a huge deal, but I am also carrying much less gear with it.

For more gear but still a proper adventure backpack I've eyed the Atlas backpacks. These look really good, but are very expensive. Even on the used market they are still a few hundred. https://atlaspacks.com/

Shimoda is in the same boat. The bags look nice, and while not as rugged still look good for most adventuring. Also expensive but a little less: https://shimodadesigns.com/home/

But for now I think I'll stick with the best hiking/biking backpacks and stick my camera in it somehow. They are cheaper, the best quality, the most comfortable, and probably outlast most if not all camera bags.

I also used a lowepro before and was impressed for it's value. They pop up used a lot for cheap, and if you can get one of those nicer ones for $30-60 like I have, it's hard to beat. Although as you said, probably the most recognized name other than a brand name Canon bag.

Thank you James,
I was also checking regular backpacks but they are a bit tricky to use I believe, with so many gear.

Here in Europe we have this dealer or brand if you like Decathlon (https://decathlon.es/ the one here home) and they have okay quality products to great quality ones but yet I wasn't able to find any good bag. Neither in Volcom or other brands like these.

Will keep searching. I am also in the 2nd hand market trying to figure out what to do.

Quote from red5isalive on June 26, 2023, 3:48 pm

Thank you James,
I was also checking regular backpacks but they are a bit tricky to use I believe, with so many gear.

Here in Europe we have this dealer or brand if you like Decathlon (https://decathlon.es/ the one here home) and they have okay quality products to great quality ones but yet I wasn't able to find any good bag. Neither in Volcom or other brands like these.

Will keep searching. I am also in the 2nd hand market trying to figure out what to do.

Declathlon recently started selling over here and it's been great. I've used a couple of cheap items from them which I've been happy with the quality considering the price I paid. Haven't used any of their bags yet though. I've really enjoyed their camping stuff 🙂

Daniel Gonzalez
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on June 26, 2023, 7:17 pm
Quote from red5isalive on June 26, 2023, 3:48 pm

Thank you James,

Declathlon recently started selling over here and it's been great. I've used a couple of cheap items from them which I've been happy with the quality considering the price I paid. Haven't used any of their bags yet though. I've really enjoyed their camping stuff 🙂

Oh really? WOW that's a big step.

Yes exactly, same here. Cheap good for the price items.

Yet I have not found a backpack I like for my cameras (maybe to do trekking yes).

OKAY so I bought a K&F backpack (this one: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0BBR5CRT2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) and it worked, but I send it back.

The bag looks good, it is pretty cool I'd say. And if you only bring a camera and one lens I'd say it's great.

I bought it because I was travelling to South Korea for holidays and I wanted to have with me my 15,6" laptop, a portable video console, my camera and 3 lenses (21mm limited, 35mm f2.4 and 50-135mm) and chargers, and so on. A bit of a bit too much weight for it.

The problem with that backpack is that it is a bit too small to replace my Manfrotto Veloce VII which has a tone of space.
Also after walking 15-20kms a day with it on my back, for me personally, it remains too high on your back. 

And it's great because you open it by the back, but also you need to move too many things out of the way to do so. It's a very clever designed backpack and for a friendly use, I'll keep it. BUT and that's important, last weekend at the racetrack it's not that impressive. It's not that confortable, and is very slow to use while doing sports shooting and you need to open the bag and change lenses, close quickly pack up and leave.

This is the main reason why I am sending it back. And the fact that the raincover broke at the 3rd use. Just partially. And small. But it did. And that is not a good thing for me after spending 85€ on a bag.

The plus sides are the looks, it looks fancy, the materials look good and solid, as they'd last and it is a very well thought backpack.

It's just the size is too small (only 20L) for my needs, and does not do the job 100% as I wanted it to do it. 
I need something less complicated to open and close, easier and more rugged that can handle being not taken care of when in a rush.

That's why I rather buy a Manfrotto Veloce V 2nd hand (a smaller version of my old one) or maybe will try a model from Decathlon that is more expensive but might work out.  Will keep you updated.

Good luck in your bag hunt.

I currently have two backpacks. I probably won't be much help but I'll share anyway.

Years ago,  I bought what was probably a fake Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II. I know you don't want a Lowepro but from reading this thread it seems to me like it would tick every box you've mentioned. You might consider the same bag and then remove the small logo or cover it up with a patch. I absolutely love mine. It's comfortable, holds my Pentax K-1 ii, a large telephoto lens and up to 4 more smaller lenses (or two bodies and fewer lenses etc). It has a laptop compartment but a 15" would probably test the limit.

I recently got a Shimoda Explore 40 to carry a bit more gear on long/overnight hikes. The contour of the back and the hip straps make it sit just right and I can carry a lot of weight. This bag is probably too big for what you want. The problems I have with the Shimoda is that I can't easily attach my Peak Design capture clip (the strap is too thick), and I despise the modular compartment system (called "core units") which is going to be the same across all their bags. The bag comes with two small core units which are basically useless to me.... so you need to spend another few hundred dollars on the "large core unit" to get the same kind of storage that comes default on my Lowepro. Irritating. Also, the core units are fairly rigid and I can hear my gear banging around in the back of my bag while I'm walking (unsettling).

In the end, I use my cheaper and slightly smaller Lowepro way more than I use my fancy Shimoda.

Daniel Gonzalez
Quote from grover on September 18, 2023, 8:19 pm

Good luck in your bag hunt.

I currently have two backpacks. I probably won't be much help but I'll share anyway.

Years ago,  I bought what was probably a fake Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II. I know you don't want a Lowepro but from reading this thread it seems to me like it would tick every box you've mentioned. You might consider the same bag and then remove the small logo or cover it up with a patch. I absolutely love mine. It's comfortable, holds my Pentax K-1 ii, a large telephoto lens and up to 4 more smaller lenses (or two bodies and fewer lenses etc). It has a laptop compartment but a 15" would probably test the limit.

I recently got a Shimoda Explore 40 to carry a bit more gear on long/overnight hikes. The contour of the back and the hip straps make it sit just right and I can carry a lot of weight. This bag is probably too big for what you want. The problems I have with the Shimoda is that I can't easily attach my Peak Design capture clip (the strap is too thick), and I despise the modular compartment system (called "core units") which is going to be the same across all their bags. The bag comes with two small core units which are basically useless to me.... so you need to spend another few hundred dollars on the "large core unit" to get the same kind of storage that comes default on my Lowepro. Irritating. Also, the core units are fairly rigid and I can hear my gear banging around in the back of my bag while I'm walking (unsettling).

In the end, I use my cheaper and slightly smaller Lowepro way more than I use my fancy Shimoda.

Thank you very much! 

I came to update the thread. 

I know I said i did not wanted a lowepro bag because it seems to me a bit obvious about what you are bringing with you. 

YET, I have just bought 5 minutes ago a Lowepro bag. It's expensive and it's black and it has the lowepro logos. 

But as you say, it ticks all my boxes. 

And the worst part is that the equivalent Manfrotto bag the Manfrotto PL Frontloader M I think it is, and the Pro Light M which would be my choice at the same price, are at least 60 to 100€ more expensive. Yes maybe those look more sexy, but it's a workhorse 😛

I have bought the Lowepro Flipside BP 400 AW III.

And I did it for several reasons which I made clear in the 1st post.

Those ones (

• Size, allows me to add 2 bodies with their grips, 3-4-5-6 lenses depending on their size, and a laptop (15,6")
  • That is opened by the back (rather difficult for anyone trying to steal you)
  • That is rain covered itself and doesn't need any extra covers
  • That is confortable in my back.
  • That somehow doesn't looks that much as a photographer's bag                       

)

Pros and Cons I thought that model might be quite discrete by it's looks, and seems to tick all the other boxes. 
I am planning to cover the logos maybe with some stickers instead just to make it less obvious. We will see.

Yes, it's expensive, yes is Lowepro and yes I'm a sell out 😛 No, kidding. But I just found myself wondering. For a 20L backpack I just payed 85€. That's a lot of money! And I wasn't able to find any other bag at that price as big as my old one.

I even bought a bag from Decathlon without being able to see it! But then, then I started to think. And that bag (let me show you: https://www.decathlon.es/es/p/mochila-camara-fotografica-solognac-900-35l-multibolsillos/_/R-p-331761?mc=8641203) was ticking all the boxes except the European Airlines cabin bag measurements by a mile (14cms to be precise).

So I just cancelled my order. 

Next step was checking a well know spanish second hand website and believe it or not when I realised what was going on I was checking Lowepro models and at prices around 120€.

That's when I just decided to buy the new one instead spending 20-30 euros extra.

Probably Aliexpress would have it cheaper, but I'd like to be able to use it the soonest too. 

Now the questions: Why this model? It's big! 

Yep. That will allow me to bring all my stuff with me tripping Europe to the races even though nowadays I use to travel with 2 cabin bags. But I think it will be doable.

The second thing I like from it is the two stripes, the chest one and the one to be used in the hips. This is a system I do like a lot and consider very nice while walking tracks with stuff on, or moving from the airport to the hotel, etc.... very handy. The K&F backpack doesn't has it and i missed it. 

So yeah, Lowepro it is! 

Thank you for your suggestion 🙂 

Excellent. Sometimes brands are popular for a reason 😉

If I could go back in time I wouldn't have bought from AliExpress. Support the local stores and proper channels and all that.

The waist and chest strap is essential. Especially when you want to hang a camera off your shoulder strap ( Peak Design Capture Clip ). I will occasionally hang my Pentax K-1 II with a 70-200mm lens off my shoulder strap and the Lowepro is so comfortable and solid that it will hold it in place without issue.

My Flipside 400 AW II is perfect for me. I've had it for years while other bags have come and gone and I'll continue to use it until it completely falls apart!

Daniel Gonzalez

a little late to this, but i just buy regular backpacks and throw my gear in individual electronics wraps before getting piled in the bag.  it's lasted me for at least 10 cross country trips, doesn't look like a camera bag and is very comfortable while hiking.  currently i'm using a 5.11 covrt (32L) for my hiking backpack and a 5.11 range trainer bag (50L) for the car storage.  the backpack holds a fuji 50r with 4 zoom lenses (one attached to the camera) with lots of room left over.  if i take the camera and attached lens out, i can squeeze the sony and 200-600mm in there with the extra lenses.  but it's a little too heavy for long hikes at that point.  the range master bag holds all of that plus a sony with the 200-600mm lens and a fuji xt-4 with a few more lenses.  plus all of the extra accessories and a winter coat wedged in.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Page 1 of 2Next