Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Kolari Pocket - new full spectrum camera

Most of you know my full spectrum Pentax K-01 died with a shutter stuck issue. I sold it for parts. Now I am saving up for a new full-spectrum camera. Not totally sure what camera and mount I want but I have my eyes on a few options. In the meantime I found this Kolari Pocket for sale for $50. Included were three filters. I figured this would fill my infrared needs until I can save up enough for a more permanent camera ๐Ÿ™‚

It is a full-spectrum converted Canon Elph 180 camera 20mp normal point and shoot. The kinda thing smartphones have all but replaced.

The image quality isnโ€™t great but it is really nice to keep it in my pocket.

Right now Iโ€™ve only played with the 720nm filter, but there is also a 590nm filter and a hot mirror filter.

I plan to use CHDK to get more control and RAW files. A canon P&S was my first ever digital camera and CHDK is where I learned manual controls. ๐Ÿ™‚

Uploaded files:
  • 355E3EDA-F367-43C1-9BCC-6D85C580EB80.jpeg
  • SquarePic_20210726_15142132.jpeg
  • SquarePic_20210726_15144177.jpeg
Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚

That is the coolest thing I've seen today!

Congratulations on the new camera and best of luck on deciding on another new one.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from this

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Quote from Snappy on July 26, 2021, 8:20 pm

Most of you know my full spectrum Pentax K-01 died with a shutter stuck issue. I sold it for parts. Now I am saving up for a new full-spectrum camera. Not totally sure what camera and mount I want but I have my eyes on a few options. In the meantime I found this Kolari Pocket for sale for $50. Included were three filters. I figured this would fill my infrared needs until I can save up enough for a more permanent camera ๐Ÿ™‚

It is a full-spectrum converted Canon Elph 180 camera 20mp normal point and shoot. The kinda thing smartphones have all but replaced.

Right now Iโ€™ve only played with the 720nm filter, but there is also a 590nm filter and a hot mirror filter.

I plan to use CHDK to get more control and RAW files. A canon P&S was my first ever digital camera and CHDK is where I learned manual controls. ๐Ÿ™‚

It's so sleek and subtle, I like it.ย  The two pics you posted look just fine for such a small sensor.ย  Excited to see what else you can do with it!

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner
Quote from Beau Carpenter on July 26, 2021, 8:51 pm

That is the coolest thing I've seen today!

Congratulations on the new camera and best of luck on deciding on another new one.

Looking forward to seeing more photos from this

I'm excited to play with it! Because it's so small I really don't have an excuse not to bring it with me.

Quote from SpruceBruce on July 26, 2021, 11:59 pm
Quote from Snappy on July 26, 2021, 8:20 pm

It's so sleek and subtle, I like it.ย  The two pics you posted look just fine for such a small sensor.ย  Excited to see what else you can do with it!

It really starts to degrade over base ISO or even slightly zoomed in, but I think for online sharing and small sized prints should be fine.

I guess I should add that Kolari also adds one of those adhesive grips to the camera and a 37mm filter thread adhered to the front of the lens. Filter thread is necessary for different IR effects, and the grip is just a nice touch ๐Ÿ™‚

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚

I saw one of these pop up on facebook marketplace the other day, and did a quick google to see what it was about. Interesting to see actual pictures from it though!

Ever striving for minimum competency

More pics from today. I did more research to figure out the noise issue but it looks like this camera really is just noisy even from ISO 100. Super small sensor. Lens doesn't seem that great either. But it's a ton of fun and you can't beat the small form factor.

Justin Tung and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚