Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Kodak DC120 and Ricoh Caplio RR1 - eBay Find

Found these two in the same job-lot listing (along with a pair of Halina 35x's and some tat) and just had to take a punt on them, no idea if they are functional, but the opportunity to get two historically weird digital cameras was just to much to resist.

They should be here early next week, keep your fingers crossed for me.

They have arrived.

The DC120 works, the LCD screen on it has failed, but that's only used for playing back images, so I can live without that, but otherwise, it takes shots and functions. 

The RR1 came without a battery, so I need to pick one up and see if it's working.

Will update with some shots with the Kodak once I'm given it a good run.

Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on January 30, 2024, 8:55 am

They have arrived.

The DC120 works, the LCD screen on it has failed, but that's only used for playing back images, so I can live without that, but otherwise, it takes shots and functions. 

The RR1 came without a battery, so I need to pick one up and see if it's working.

Will update with some shots with the Kodak once I'm given it a good run.

Very cool! I have the RR1 and it's very fun. Weird camera. Uses SmartMedia - did yours come with that card? Do you have a reader?

I also have a Kodak DC40 that I am actually using right now (how strange!) for a video project in a month or so. It's a fun design and the images aren't great, but cool to see what some of the first consumer digital cameras were like. My screen is also busted on it xD

Happy snappin' 🙂

Correction, the camera I have is the DC50. I keep mixing that up xD Came after the DC40, which was essentially the Apple QuickTake 100 with Apple's badge removed. 

Here's some samples so far from mine. The files are saved in the .KDC format, and I used imagemagick from the terminal to convert to jpg and that worked great. I'm sure there's other ways to do that, but that was just easiest for me.

Uploaded files:
  • 14.jpg
  • 15.jpg
  • 10.jpg
SpruceBruce, grover and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucegroverGideon Liddiard Photography
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on February 1, 2024, 2:35 am

Correction, the camera I have is the DC50. I keep mixing that up xD Came after the DC40, which was essentially the Apple QuickTake 100 with Apple's badge removed. 

Here's some samples so far from mine. The files are saved in the .KDC format, and I used imagemagick from the terminal to convert to jpg and that worked great. I'm sure there's other ways to do that, but that was just easiest for me.

I'm not expecting great things from the 120, but it's nice as a historic camera, 100% agree that the lack of LRc or PS support for .KDC is a pain as well.