Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Kit Lens Appreciation

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next

Had a few short opportunities for photos today and thankfully I had my trusty K10d + 18-55 kit lens with me. I was waiting for someone near a Sears that closed down years ago. They were late and I thought it would be cool if I could get a photo of the building with the faded outline of "SEARS" on the side, or something like that. There wasn't anything like that, but I did find an interesting dumpster enclosure and fire hydrant.

To me the chair one looked like someone broke free from the cell that is their office... maybe searching for a metaphor too much but that's what I thought of. 😄

The hydrant caught my eye because of the antenna, which I realized is probably there to keep plow trucks from running into them. When I got closer I saw that someone put a Santa hat on the little guy!

And the barn was a side of the road shot from the vehicle. My GPS was trying to put me on a toll road and I ended up on country roads trying to avoid that. It was very scenic everywhere but few places afforded a safe place to stop and take photos.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP4766_DxO.jpg
  • IMGP4770.jpg
  • IMGP4785.jpg
SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettTSTSCarl

I love the K10d something magical about the ccd sensor.

Quote from Lock5 on January 24, 2022, 11:28 am

I love the K10d something magical about the ccd sensor.

There really is, but I can't pinpoint what it is exactly. Out of curiosity I've been wanting to take the same photo (same scene, same lens) with the K-3 and K10D to compare and try to figure out exactly what that difference is.

Here is Pentax Q standard prime lens and standard zoom. I guess Kit would be the word!

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP5398.jpg
  • IMGP5189.jpg
  • IMGP5195.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceJBP

The colors in those shots are outstanding... The deep blues and bright yellows are so vibrant. And the gradient of the sky in the beach shot is really pleasant. Great shots.

TSTS has reacted to this post.
TSTS
Quote from Snappy on January 18, 2022, 2:01 am
Quote from KankRat on January 18, 2022, 12:28 am

Canon XSI with 18-55 @18mm. probably had a polarizer on there.

Wildcat Canyon Starved Rock State Park by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Wonderful shot!

This whole thread is wonderful. I don't have my 18-55 kit lens anymore, but I do have some shots from back in the day.

Pentax K200D and 18-55

Are those two composites?

Quote from Snappy on January 21, 2022, 8:46 pm
Quote from Estelon_Agarwaen on January 21, 2022, 4:09 pm
Quote from Snappy on January 18, 2022, 2:01 am
Quote from KankRat on January 18, 2022, 12:28 am

Canon XSI with 18-55 @18mm. probably had a polarizer on there.

Wildcat Canyon Starved Rock State Park by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Wonderful shot!

This whole thread is wonderful. I don't have my 18-55 kit lens anymore, but I do have some shots from back in the day.

Pentax K200D and 18-55

these photos are insane.

the focus and sharpness of the kit lens are not that great in my latest pics for some reason, but the photos still look great:

Very cool pictures with the small metal model of the town and the town in the background! The glass bowl adds a nice focal point to tie it all together.

First off, I think the images look plenty sharp as is. I don't think anyone would notice unless you printed them really large. But I did download them and pixel peep just for fun 😄

I think the first one of the building on a hill (beautiful, by the way) might have focused on the foreground just a tad. Because it was F8 it caught the background pretty well in focus, but some of the foreground does look a tad sharper. Maybe?

One of the ones of the glass bowl and the town definitely looks like a bit of blur caused to the 1/4 and 1/13 shutter speed. The close focus ones look pretty sharp.

That's all from James the image forensics guy 😄 But really the images look great because you shot them well, nice composition, nice moments.

I have noticed that the camera has some issues focusing on far away objects if im at 18mm. might be an issue of the lens as it only sometimes happens and only when im trying to focus on something with no perfect sharp lines. may just be a limit of the AF-Sensor and lens combo i guess.

Is that even street bro?
Quote from TSTS on January 26, 2022, 1:52 am

Here is Pentax Q standard prime lens and standard zoom. I guess Kit would be the word!

Dont make me want a pentax Q now man. Nice colors btw. Anyways, enjoy some gx80 and 12-32 kit lens photos:

Uploaded files:
  • Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Webp.net-resizeimage1.jpg
  • Webp.net-resizeimage2.jpg
SpruceBruce, denniscrommett and TSTS have reacted to this post.
SpruceBrucedenniscrommettTSTS
Is that even street bro?

Great thread... I will say though that I'd love to contribute, except I've never had a single kit lens haha. Love everyone's shots though!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Ever striving for minimum competency

@TSTS which actual Q body is it you're using? I have the original one, and my results aren't that sharp and colorful.  They've been very underwhelming with my experience so far.

Is the  Pentax 18-135 allowed to make an appearance? I'd say it's a common option as a kit for Pentax prosumer models.  Mine has gotten me spectacular results!

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0021-1.jpg
  • IMGP0055.jpg
  • IMGP0002.jpg
  • IMGP0108.jpg
  • IMGP0107.jpg
denniscrommett, TSTS and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
denniscrommettTSTSCarlJBP
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next