Please or Register to create posts and topics.

KAF3 mount Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 Ex Dc Hsm Lens $188 used

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IQ3W0U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2AO52GZLGUG5D&th=1

On a PC, scroll down until you see "New and Used from" on the right. Click that and you will see all the used options with descriptions and seller ratings.

I just bought this lens and there are others available for the same price so I thought I would share. I bought it as an alternative to the Pentax DA* 16-50 PLM which I cannot afford.

As far as I can tell, this lens is normally ~$500-550 new, and $250-350 used (looking at ebay). Sigma has since replaced it with a 17-70 f/2.8-4. What's unique about this version is that it's f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. It has the quiet HSM motor which I believe is similar to Pentax's SDM (faster than DC, slower than PLM), but without the SDM reliability issues.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-17-50mm-f2-8-ex-dc-os-hsm-no-stabilizer.html?page=3#reviewlist

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs

That's cool @jbp! I'm looking forward to seeing your photos with this lens. I haven't shot with a Pentax camera yet (although this forum makes me want to), but from research, it seems that Sigma 17-50 is incredibly sharp. And I know some people say that's not something we should really care about, but I just know it's appealing to me, hence I'm interested to see the results with this lens. And thanks for the helpful Amazon link!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

No problem! I will definitely share photos with it. I am not a sharpness snob, but I do have some kind of subjective minimum standard (I just look at sample photos and go "ah, sharp enough for me!") and it seems like this lens will be one of the sharpest, if not THE sharpest, lens in my lineup. So I am excited for that. 🙂 I am really excited for the constant f/2.8 aperture throughout the focal range. I think the fast aperture and wide-to-portrait zoom range should help me out with indoor shots of family where lighting is generally poor and space is limited.

It's supposed to get here today, but we've had an epic snow storm so who knows!

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

OK after a few weeks with it I can wholeheartedly recommend this lens. At $200 it is an absolute bargain (and it seems like you can find it for that much all day long). I did have some AF fine adjustment issues that had me close to returning it, but after some tinkering it seems dead on now. I think it's the sharpest lens I own, even more than my primes. It is a bit soft at 17mm wide open, but stopped down one notch to f/3.5 it is tack sharp there. It's sharp from at least 22mm onward even wide open.

Also, it focuses as fast as my 18-135mm DC lens, and is much more confident in low light. I attribute that it being f/2.8 and the 18-135 being f/3.5-5.6. More light to the sensor lets it focus better in low light. Really pleased with that - it has finally let me reliably capture sharp shots of my kiddo indoors, which is exactly why I got the lens. Very pleased. 🙂

PS: I made some janky setups to dial in the AF adjustment. Today this arrived in the mail...I highly recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012F8G1DO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP4591.jpg
SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceHeggenDazs

Dropping by to affirm as a fellow 17-50mm owner that this lens is crazy, insane sharp. It's an absolute bargain. I acquired this lens with the K-1 bundle I purchased for $750, which included the K-1, 17-50mm (APS-C) Sigma, the 18-250mm (APS-C) Sigma and 70-300mm DC Sigma lens for full-frame. Besides the K-1, that lens is probably the best part of the deal.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP

Sundog by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Zoom in to see snow gently blowing in the wind, absolutely pin-sharp

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from HeggenDazs on February 6, 2022, 6:04 pm

Sundog by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Zoom in to see snow gently blowing in the wind, absolutely pin-sharp

WOW. I missed that the first time around. What a fantastic photograph... I really need to get this lens out and about. Amazing.

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs