Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Just lost a roll of film 🤦‍♂️

I was shooting a roll on my trusty (or at least used to be) Pentax Z-1p I as really excited about. First time shooting the film, and I thought I got some really nice shots on it. Finished the roll this morning, the camera auto-winded back like it normally does, finished, blinked the icon to unload, I pop open the back and what's there? The whole roll 😬

I quickly closed and tried to engage the "manual" rewind (basically telling it to run the rewind again). It did a blip that I thought maybe did it, flashed again, and I opened again and there was my roll.

I had never heard of this problem before, but it makes sense that something would jam and the rewind wouldn't work. I think the next several times I shoot it I'll open it in a dark bag just in case. If it keeps doing it I'll sell for parts, because that's just too annoying. Hoping it's a one time fluke.

Anyway, just getting it off my chest. I'm sure losing a roll of film has happened to everyone at one time or another. I'll recover. One day 🤣 I was just really excited about some of those pics...

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Happy snappin' 🙂

Hopefully the rewind gear didn't strip, I know with the late 90s Pentax bodies, it seems the plastic gearing becomes brittle with age.  Hopefully it won't happen to my MZ-S anytime soon.  The only time I encountered this was with my Canon WP-1 using a non dx coded roll of Lomo 800.  I had so many pictures lost from my vacation in Hawaii.  I got about 10 usable frames from a 36 exp roll.  I had to use my backpack and a t-shirt to make a makeshift dark bag....I just sold that camera, never going to do that again with a PnS.

Bummer, it's unfortunately a part of film photography.  I guess it's no different than a corrupted memory card.  Hopefully you didn't flash it too bad, and you can salvage a few usable frames.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from SpruceBruce on April 17, 2022, 6:50 am

Hopefully the rewind gear didn't strip, I know with the late 90s Pentax bodies, it seems the plastic gearing becomes brittle with age.  Hopefully it won't happen to my MZ-S anytime soon.  The only time I encountered this was with my Canon WP-1 using a non dx coded roll of Lomo 800.  I had so many pictures lost from my vacation in Hawaii.  I got about 10 usable frames from a 36 exp roll.  I had to use my backpack and a t-shirt to make a makeshift dark bag....I just sold that camera, never going to do that again with a PnS.

Bummer, it's unfortunately a part of film photography.  I guess it's no different than a corrupted memory card.  Hopefully you didn't flash it too bad, and you can salvage a few usable frames.

Yeah, hopefully not. I do want to give it another chance because I like the camera so much otherwise. I'll share in the future if I ever get anything off the roll. I'm hoping so. It is hard though, makes me not want to shoot film for now. I know I'll come back after I get over it though xD

Is this your first time shooting through the MZ-S? I forgot you had one.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on April 18, 2022, 3:31 pm
Quote from SpruceBruce on April 17, 2022, 6:50 am

Yeah, hopefully not. I do want to give it another chance because I like the camera so much otherwise. I'll share in the future if I ever get anything off the roll. I'm hoping so. It is hard though, makes me not want to shoot film for now. I know I'll come back after I get over it though xD

Is this your first time shooting through the MZ-S? I forgot you had one.

No, I've yet to do a thread on it.  I've shot a roll of Lomo 800 this past summer, but it was alot of family candid shots I wasn't going to share for my parents privacy, and a roll of Ilford 3200 back in December when I was working in Fairbanks.  I shared a few of the Alaska shots.  It's such a nice camera, just haven't been out shooting due to the lack of life/dreary rainy & snowy days here in Minnesota.

Unfortunately, the only autofocus full frame glass I own, is the Tokina 19-35 and a Tamron 28-200 zoom, minus the DA 40 F2.8 which doesn't vignette.  Nothing to write home about, I'm planning on picking up maybe a used 28-105 kit lens, and some F primes.

Quote from James Warner on April 16, 2022, 10:59 pm

I was shooting a roll on my trusty (or at least used to be) Pentax Z-1p I as really excited about. First time shooting the film, and I thought I got some really nice shots on it. Finished the roll this morning, the camera auto-winded back like it normally does, finished, blinked the icon to unload, I pop open the back and what's there? The whole roll 😬

I quickly closed and tried to engage the "manual" rewind (basically telling it to run the rewind again). It did a blip that I thought maybe did it, flashed again, and I opened again and there was my roll.

I had never heard of this problem before, but it makes sense that something would jam and the rewind wouldn't work. I think the next several times I shoot it I'll open it in a dark bag just in case. If it keeps doing it I'll sell for parts, because that's just too annoying. Hoping it's a one time fluke.

Anyway, just getting it off my chest. I'm sure losing a roll of film has happened to everyone at one time or another. I'll recover. One day 🤣 I was just really excited about some of those pics...

Ouch! Yes, it does hurt to lose a roll, or to have a corrupted SD card. I literally lost a whole ziploc bag full of exposed rolls of film from when I first started out in photography. I couldn't afford to develop them so I was waiting...and the bag is just gone, no idea where it went. I've since moved 3 times so the search is officially over. But, in my case those photos were likely mostly not so good. Realizing that helps relieve the pain a bit. 😅

Opening in a dark bag is a great idea, I'll have to do that myself just in case when I finally get back into film photography. My film cameras haven't seen use in so long that precautions like that are a good idea.

Quote from JBP on April 21, 2022, 4:52 pm
Quote from James Warner on April 16, 2022, 10:59 pm

Ouch! Yes, it does hurt to lose a roll, or to have a corrupted SD card. I literally lost a whole ziploc bag full of exposed rolls of film from when I first started out in photography. I couldn't afford to develop them so I was waiting...and the bag is just gone, no idea where it went. I've since moved 3 times so the search is officially over. But, in my case those photos were likely mostly not so good. Realizing that helps relieve the pain a bit. 😅

Opening in a dark bag is a great idea, I'll have to do that myself just in case when I finally get back into film photography. My film cameras haven't seen use in so long that precautions like that are a good idea.

Oh my goodnesss, that's terrible lol. I've only had a corrupted SD card once but it somehow ended up not a big deal. Either I recovered the files using some software or realized I had backed them up. Phew.

I have never had this issue and have shot loads of film. In my experience with manual winding film bodies it's easier to hear and feel when the film is moving, so you'd be able to sell. It's a very distinct sound and then it stops when it's finally all wound in. With the automatic, it makes a loud whirring sound so I can't tell what's going on, and I think those are more prone to failure anyway. Makes me want to go back to full manual, but I love the experience of shooting my Pentax-F glass with AF on film.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Happy snappin' 🙂