Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Just bought a K-3 II after K-50's Aperture Motor Died - Any beginner tips?

PreviousPage 2 of 2

IMGP5033 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

IMGP5014 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

IMGP4966 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

IMGP4952 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

IMGP4910 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP

IMGP4891 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Here's some sample stuff I've taken in the last 24 hours on different lenses in different environments. Haven't taken anything breathtaking yet but it's either been dark or cold and wet. Dang midwest fall weather!

IMGP5113 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

IMGP5108 by Alec Heggen, on Flickr

Nice variety for being stuck indoors 😆 hopefully the weather turns for the better soon. Where in the Midwest? I'm originally from Missouri. They've been have tornado storms from what I hear back home.

Which lenses are you playing with? Shots are looking good 👍

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on October 25, 2021, 11:34 pm

Nice variety for being stuck indoors 😆 hopefully the weather turns for the better soon. Where in the Midwest? I'm originally from Missouri. They've been have tornado storms from what I hear back home.

Which lenses are you playing with? Shots are looking good 👍

I'm from Iowa! Lots of rain and wind but no tornadoes here, fortunately.

And tbh I'm mostly messing around with the old Pentax-F series lenses. A 35-70 from that range, a 70-210, my old kit lens from the K-50 (DAL 18-55) and for the ones with pretty shallow focus and lots of bokeh that's the Makinon "auto" 135mm. I've uploaded a few more to my new Flickr since it seems like 500px won't let me upload at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194253247@N04/

attempting to resurrect an old friend. wish me luck.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG-8019.jpg
SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP

Did you revive the trusty K-50?

Edit: Forgot to say congrats on the K-3! I went from a K10D to the K-3... quite a leap. The K-3 is a joy to use.

I'm not sure if I have any actually useful tips but I will tell you what I've done differently on the K-3 vs the K10D that I really like. You probably know all this already and maybe the K-50 did all this as well...but then again maybe something will be useful.

- Although lately I've been using TAv a lot, I really like having a dedicated ISO button, and use it often if I'm in program or manual mode. Front dial is shutter, rear is aperture, ISO button + rear dial is ISO...everything at your fingertips. It's so seamless and fun. If I want auto ISO back I press ISO and the green button.

- It took me a bit to realize that when I'm in a focus point select mode, the little bottom on the bottom right of the camera (to the right of the menu button) lets me toggle between selecting points and the drive mode/flash/etc. buttons. And you can hit the "OK" button in the middle of the pad to go right back to the center spot. So cool.

- The K-3 (and probably the K50, I dunno) lets you adjust the AF plane of lenses, and it remembers that adjustment for each lens. I have had to do this with a few lenses. Without this feature they would not have been usable. It's in menu pane C4, item 26.

- Here's one I just learned two days ago: Just because you have shake reduction on, doesn't mean it is always functional. Look through the viewfinder... you'll notice the SR icon disappears as you zoom, or if you pan the camera around. Often I'll take a shot as soon as I can, but SR may not be activated yet. This was probably obvious to everyone but me. haha

PreviousPage 2 of 2