Please or Register to create posts and topics.

It hasn't arrived yet, but -- I bought a Nikon 1 V1.

Well,

I'm off on holiday to Clarach Bay in Wales, UK. Last year I visited the same place and took along a Panasonic Lumix LX3, which I thoroughly enjoyed using and took some great pictures with it. But that's since been sold as the battery life really wasn't that good. So this year for my hols I started looking for my usual "cheap but bags of personality" camera. I wanted something small(ish) that you just pick up when you're not going out to do photography, just something to keep with you. My limit this time was £200 and I nearly pounced on a Fuji X-E1, they were over £200 but very tempting. During the search I had come across more Panasonic Lumix, the GF6, LX5, LX7 and LF1 as well as Canons; G10 and G11, an Olympus E-420 with Pancake lens as a boxed kit(I have posted the link to this on the "Photography Deals" forum), along with some many viable Olympus E-PL1's, but I really wanted something with a viewfinder.

After much 'sample photo' searching, Ebay suggesteded up a Nikon 1 V1 for sale, boxed with 10mm f2.8 pancake lens, Nikon flash, strap lens cap and a few extras. I have to admit, I'd not really thought about this system too much, but it worked and had all the goodies and importantly had a viewfinder, so I just bought it.....

It doesn't seem to have been a "critically acclaimed" camera by any stretch of the imagination and the system was quite a flop for Nikon. But, most of the sample photos I have seen I have really liked and I'm already looking at more lenses and no, as in my title, it hasn't even arrived from ebay yet.

I am definitely interested to hear from any of you if you have any experience of this system. Personally I'm really looking forward to using it as I have yet to own a Nikon camera.

Will post some photos of Wales as soon as possible....

nictu.

EckyH and Gideon Liddiard Photography have reacted to this post.
EckyHGideon Liddiard Photography

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on one of these so many times, particularly the AW version.

nictu has reacted to this post.
nictu
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on July 28, 2023, 7:48 pm

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on one of these so many times, particularly the AW version.

Hi Gideon,

Yes, I  came across the AW  version yesterday. While lens hunting, I saw a lens marked AW which lead me to finding out that Nikon had produced an all weather version of this camera. I'm starting to think it's a shame this system failed.

nictu.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography
Quote from nictu on July 29, 2023, 5:19 am
Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on July 28, 2023, 7:48 pm

Hi Gideon,

Yes, I  came across the AW  version yesterday. While lens hunting, I saw a lens marked AW which lead me to finding out that Nikon had produced an all weather version of this camera. I'm starting to think it's a shame this system failed.

nictu.

It is indeed, seems to be getting far more attention now it's dead than it did when it was active.

One thing I do know to watch is that AW lenses do not fit non-AW bodies.

nictu

Nikon did an adaptor that allows you to do just that with it.

Here are a couple of good reviews/articles on it, the second one has a lot of images that put pay to the main issue people raised about it, which was image quality form the small sensor:

The Nikon V1 Camera Review – The camera I expected to hate!

Camera Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop worrying About the Sensor and Love the Camera – by Craig Litten

Damn it, this thread has me looking on eBay again...

I'm excited to hear what you think after you get it in! There's a number of these models popping up on MPB from time to time for very inexpensive. It seems like adapting manual glass is tough (no focus peaking, for example), so native glass is the way to go. 

Happy snappin' 🙂

James. If you're interested in using any legacy glass that you might have lying around, I suggest the Sony NEX-3. They are commonly available at very reasonable prices. A firmware update brings many additional features, including focus peaking, pretty much essential for manual focussing.  Or get the later model NEX-C3 which has the software ugrades already installed.

Then buy adapters as required. I've got Fotodiox adapters for Sony E to Canon FD and Sony E to Nikon. They cost around $20 on Amazon.

The NEX-3 has  a version of the 16.1Mp Sony sensor from the Nikon D7000 DSLR which is very well regarded.

For a little more money, the NEX-5 is probably an even better specced camera.

Quote from John Mitchell on August 6, 2023, 7:58 am

James. If you're interested in using any legacy glass that you might have lying around, I suggest the Sony NEX-3. They are commonly available at very reasonable prices. A firmware update brings many additional features, including focus peaking, pretty much essential for manual focussing.  Or get the later model NEX-C3 which has the software ugrades already installed.

Then buy adapters as required. I've got Fotodiox adapters for Sony E to Canon FD and Sony E to Nikon. They cost around $20 on Amazon.

The NEX-3 has  a version of the 16.1Mp Sony sensor from the Nikon D7000 DSLR which is very well regarded.

For a little more money, the NEX-5 is probably an even better specced camera.

I've long thought those were a good buy. I think it's the 3 that is the only APSC mirrorless interchangeable lens camera you find at $100 price point sometimes. That's a lot of value already.

I've been in cheap Fuji mirrorless for the last year, and will probably finish the year that way at least, but if/when I move on the cheap Sony mirrorless lineup will be considered to replace. 

Beyond adapting vintage glass, there's many new Chinese lens companies making great affordable glass for the E mount as well that breathes new life at a great price.

@nictu Any word on the camera yet? Curious what your thoughts are!

nictu
Happy snappin' 🙂

Hello again,

I'm on holiday in Wales, U.K. I've been using the Nikon 1 all the time here and my Fuji has stayed in the camera bag so far. I have thoroughly enjoyed using this camera and I will post some photos when I get some time or when I get back home. The camera has it's quirks and I think I'm going to have to post process most of my shots. Of course, it could just be me, but dynamic range is definitely 'a thing' to bear in mind with this camera. This is a great camera just to keep with you for everyday, casual photography. To tell the truth, I like this camera so much, I think I should try and write up an article/review as I think, for the price, the V1 is well worth investigating.

All the best,

nictu.

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography