Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Interesting Blog Post- Running with Cameras- Galen Rowell

I actually found Mr. Snappie's when I was searching for info on cycling with a camera.  His mountain bike video came up. My thought is this might be an avenue to get shots that separate you from others.

Stumbled on this.

Running with cameras – The Woodwork (terrychay.com)

talks about Galen Rowell, with quotes from his book  Galen Rowell's Vision: The Art of Adventure Photography

If you like landscape stuff it's worth checking into Galen Rowell, if don't already know about him.

Talk about 18-200 zoom and light cameras.

Thoughts?

Sounds like an interesting book. I wonder what his thoughts would be nowadays with the plethora of small and light camera setups. Maybe with how good the image quality is on small sensor compacts he would go with something like that. Or maybe stick to the DSLR and super zoom lens.

I do trail run sometimes with cameras. You need a proper trail running bag that will hug close to your body or else the weight of the camera inherently bounces the bag against your back no matter how much you tighten your straps. Running bags are designed for no/little movement, but don't usually have room for a DSLR. I've tried my mountain biking bag that hugs very close, but even that moves too much when you're bouncing up and down. I'm not worried about damaging the camera, it's just uncomfortable.

So, I've taken to bringing my Ricoh GR with me almost exclusively for trail runs. It fits nicely in compact running bag pockets and is all the IQ I could want anyway. I have also done compact M4/3 bodies like my Olympus PL2 and that works as well.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Snappy on January 12, 2022, 1:39 am

Sounds like an interesting book. I wonder what his thoughts would be nowadays with the plethora of small and light camera setups. Maybe with how good the image quality is on small sensor compacts he would go with something like that. Or maybe stick to the DSLR and super zoom lens.

I do trail run sometimes with cameras. You need a proper trail running bag that will hug close to your body or else the weight of the camera inherently bounces the bag against your back no matter how much you tighten your straps. Running bags are designed for no/little movement, but don't usually have room for a DSLR. I've tried my mountain biking bag that hugs very close, but even that moves too much when you're bouncing up and down. I'm not worried about damaging the camera, it's just uncomfortable.

So, I've taken to bringing my Ricoh GR with me almost exclusively for trail runs. It fits nicely in compact running bag pockets and is all the IQ I could want anyway. I have also done compact M4/3 bodies like my Olympus PL2 and that works as well.

He actually designed a pack for running.

Yay!! Replacement Photoflex Galen Rowell Chest Pouch | Dan Bailey's Adventure Photography Blog (danbaileyphoto.com)

He took this famous shot, with small cheap Nikon e-series 75-150mm. e series was Nikon's econo-grade lens.  He ran two miles just to get the shot.  It was during some kind of class or something and apparently nobody else wanted to go.

Original Galen Rowell "Rainbow Over the Potala Palace" signed photograph 70/300 | eBay

Hard to say what he would shoot with now.