Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Cameras with usable & creative in-camera RAW processing?

Hi there, I enjoy processing jpg files from RAWs in my Fuji X-T1, and also have enjoyed that on the Ricoh GR cameras. I'm curious if there are any other cameras or systems that have in-camera RAW processing with good creative  options?

(Pardon my deleting this question, it's back now!)

Not sure what happened to Dennis but it looks like their account got messed up.

The Ricoh GR does do in-camera RAW processing as Dennis mentioned. You capture in RAW, then can use the camera to adjust a variety of settings and save a JPEG. You can do this as many times as you want for a RAW file and save many JPEGs.

I've only played with it once or twice preferring to edit on my phone if I want a mobile setup. The editing options and controls are actually fine, I just like the masks and stuff I can add on my phone. For little things it works though.

I'm not sure of the other camera models that allow this.

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from Cory Maben on April 27, 2023, 8:02 pm

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "In-camera RAW processing". I've never heard of a camera able to edit raw files (not to say that they don't exist) in the camera, nor am I sure you would want to edit a photo on a screen that small. Do you mean camera systems with lots of jpg adjustment options?

I didn't see the original question. Pentax has an In-Camera Raw Processing feature. You can do it to one or many selected photos and then choose a custom profile which can also be adjusted in terms of exposure, contrast, highlights, shadows, tint, etc. It's pretty handy and Pentax Japan even have tutorials for it.

Quote from Cory Maben on April 29, 2023, 1:02 pm
Quote from James Warner on April 29, 2023, 11:44 am

Not sure what happened to Dennis but it looks like their account got messed up.

The Ricoh GR does do in-camera RAW processing as Dennis mentioned. You capture in RAW, then can use the camera to adjust a variety of settings and save a JPEG. You can do this as many times as you want for a RAW file and save many JPEGs.

I've only played with it once or twice preferring to edit on my phone if I want a mobile setup. The editing options and controls are actually fine, I just like the masks and stuff I can add on my phone. For little things it works though.

I'm not sure of the other camera models that allow this.

That is a neat idea, kind of like a half-step between full raw editing and the convince of jpgs. That sounds like something that either Fuji should do or probably already can do. -Take a raw file then cycle through some of your own premade editing templates and apply the one you like best and saving that jpg instead.

I image that Samsung Android camera you just got can probably do it? I bet there was at some point a raw editing app for it.

Yes the Samsung can, and the built-in editor (though limited) will do it.

I thought Pentax might but for some reason I have never bothered trying it. I've only done it on the Ricoh, and even then not much.

Happy snappin' 🙂

Hi all, thanks for the replies here, and pardon my deleting the text of that question before. I really enjoy processing photos in my Fuji X-T1; I find it both a fun challenge to see if I can make the photo look great as-shot, with some slight tweaks; and also when I'm feeling like a minimalist, it's a pretty cool way to just consider some photos "done" with only a little tweaking. I'll attach a screenshot of the options; I most often choose the Classic Chrome film simulation, tweak the white balance so the blues are more cyan, and do a slight shadows/highlights curve as I would likely do in Lightroom. They tend to come out pretty cool! I'll attach two recent examples, too, using the TTArtisan 27mm f2.8, which is really great and filmy (oh, and it's $159, which is cheap in Fuji land.) They're not perfect or whatever but just two shots around my house.

Uploaded files:
  • Screenshot-2023-05-07-at-12.19.54-PM.png
  • ming.jpg
  • window.jpg
Quote from denniscrommett on May 7, 2023, 4:26 pm

Hi all, thanks for the replies here, and pardon my deleting the text of that question before. I really enjoy processing photos in my Fuji X-T1; I find it both a fun challenge to see if I can make the photo look great as-shot, with some slight tweaks; and also when I'm feeling like a minimalist, it's a pretty cool way to just consider some photos "done" with only a little tweaking. I'll attach a screenshot of the options; I most often choose the Classic Chrome film simulation, tweak the white balance so the blues are more cyan, and do a slight shadows/highlights curve as I would likely do in Lightroom. They tend to come out pretty cool! I'll attach two recent examples, too, using the TTArtisan 27mm f2.8, which is really great and filmy (oh, and it's $159, which is cheap in Fuji land.) They're not perfect or whatever but just two shots around my house.

I like the results! I have the X-T1 now and also that 27mm lens. I'll have to try out your recipe and see how I like it 🙂

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett
Happy snappin' 🙂

Awesome, thanks @james-warner-b, yeah I think just the Classic Chrome film sim and then going up one, left one (feels like video game cheat codes!) in the white balance refinement really brings out the sweetness of the X Trans II! Though of course, it's all personal preference. It's been fun seeing you do stuff with Fujis! (I'm back to the X-T1 after travels with several other Fujis.)

James Warner has reacted to this post.
James Warner