Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Image Comparison Test: 1Dmk2, 1Dmk4, SD1, SD Quattro

Okay, so I decided to run a more controlled test. To make sure the differences in the image weren't caused by the changing light outside. I also threw in the SD Quattro and SD1 just out of my own curiosity. The images are all RAW files converted straight to JPG with no edits. Obviously I couldn't use the same lens or editing software on all 4 cameras, but I tried to keep everything the same where I could. I used a stationary tripod, but the mounting and mounting of the plate shifted my framing slightly and also the differences between the physical size of the camera bodies and sensors made it difficult to get the exact same framing. I put the cameras at base ISO in aperture priority with no offset with an aperture of f/4 and let them decide on how to expose the image But here are the results:

1dmk2:

1dmk2 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

1dmk4:

1dmk4 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SD1:

SD1 by Cory Maben, on Flickr

SD Quattro:

SDQ by Cory Maben, on Flickr

The 1dmk4 is more blue shifted and more punchy contrast when compared to the 1dmk2, which seems to be more yellow shifted and flatter.

The SDQ is significantly more contrasty and blue than it's older counterpart in a weirdly similar fashion to the Canon cameras. The reds in the the SDQ turn more into magenta and the SD1 appears to be more sensitive to light in general (I tend to shoot the camera at a -0.3 exposure compensation).

The Canons seem more green than the Sigmas, which tend to be more reddish. Overall the 1dmk4 seems to be the closest in terms of color to my eye.

My favorite straight out of the box is, to my surprise, the 1dmk2. I was shocked by how ugly I think the SDQ looks in comparison to the rest of the shots. The Sigmas definitely need more work than the Canons, as I would expect with Foveons. But it was a fun little test. Let me know what you guys think and which image you prefer!

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos

Thanks for the test shots! 

The SD1 looks pretty off!  

I found that most newer cameras tend to lean towards more natural colours so I am not surprised that the 1Dmk4 was the same but I do like the older Canon colours which is why I prefer the 1Dmk2 as well. 2nd would be the SDQ at some days, I like my pictures to be contrasty. I bit of tweak on the WB and it will be on the warmer side as well I assume.

Thanks!

Cory Maben has reacted to this post.
Cory Maben
Quote from tristancarlos on January 9, 2024, 7:03 pm

Thanks for the test shots! 

The SD1 looks pretty off!  

I found that most newer cameras tend to lean towards more natural colours so I am not surprised that the 1Dmk4 was the same but I do like the older Canon colours which is why I prefer the 1Dmk2 as well. 2nd would be the SDQ at some days, I like my pictures to be contrasty. I bit of tweak on the WB and it will be on the warmer side as well I assume.

Thanks!

Yeah the SDQ is definitely my favorite to shoot and it's image can be adjusted in post. But I think you're onto something about trending towards 'realistic' colors or at very least that blue/high contrast look. Another thing about the SD1 was how hard it was to focus compared to the other DSLRs, I'm not sure why/how a DSLR could be easier or harder to focus but the Canon's just seemed to be easier.

I like the SDQ the best of all, for the greater contrast! Nice comparison!