Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I'm going on a trip and I'm bringing...

It's always a game trying to figure out what photography gear to bring on a trip without bringing too much. Here's my load for this trip coming up. A got a camera and lens for all the stuff we're going to see and do. I could probably just get away with the 645n and the Samsung TL500 for family documenting, but I want to do some underwater stuff and astrophotography. Crossing my fingers the skies are clear.

Does eveyone else bring multiple cameras for different uses on a trip? Or are you more sensible than me and simplify by just choosing one camera? šŸ˜€

Uploaded files:
  • PXL_20220901_220714591.jpeg
EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Happy snappin' šŸ™‚
Quote from James Warner on September 2, 2022, 2:20 am

It's always a game trying to figure out what photography gear to bring on a trip without bringing too much. Here's my load for this trip coming up. A got a camera and lens for all the stuff we're going to see and do. I could probably just get away with the 645n and the Samsung TL500 for family documenting, but I want to do some underwater stuff and astrophotography. Crossing my fingers the skies are clear.

Does eveyone else bring multiple cameras for different uses on a trip? Or are you more sensible than me and simplify by just choosing one camera? šŸ˜€

This is such a vast array of gear.Ā  I bring multiples sometimes, but of late I keep it simple. I usually limit myself to one body, 2-3 focal lengths.Ā  Unless like you'll be doing, you'll need dedicated setups for certain compositions that play to that specific cameras strength.

I try to be sensible and keep it simple but often fail at that. For the beach vacation we just went on I brought four cameras and ten lenses. One camera (EM10II) and four lenses were the wife's so let's not count those.

My kit was the K-3 and K-5 and a lens for every scenario, and the Canon G7X for indoor activities where I'd be encumbered by a diaper bag and a DSLR would be a bit much. I ended up just using my cell phone for those occasions though... it got a bit hectic and it was just easier. šŸ™

The thinking with the Pentax bodies was the K-5 would be my main beach camera and the K-3 would be for if I need reach for wildlife shots. If the PLM worked with the K-5 I would have just brought that. But it actually worked out great because there were so few people on the beach that I found myself bringing both cameras out and grabbing whichever I needed at the time. It was nice having 300mm on hand and the 18-135 without changing lenses.

If I had to do it over and pack just one camera and one lens it would be a tough choice between the 18-135 and 55-300. I think I would be tempted to go with the 55-300 and just use my cell phone when I need closer/wider shots. A smart phone can't touch 300mm but it takes respectable photos up close, and the silly thing can even shoot RAW... šŸ„²

Quote from JBP on September 5, 2022, 5:40 pm

I try to be sensible and keep it simple but often fail at that. For the beach vacation we just went on I brought four cameras and ten lenses. One camera (EM10II) and four lenses were the wife's so let's not count those.

My kit was the K-3 and K-5 and a lens for every scenario, and the Canon G7X for indoor activities where I'd be encumbered by a diaper bag and a DSLR would be a bit much. I ended up just using my cell phone for those occasions though... it got a bit hectic and it was just easier. šŸ™

Wow my last trip away I had 5 cameras 5 lenses. 2 of the cameras were the GRIII and the GXR S10 IR. But even then I felt I had too much for travel. Iā€™m looking to merge my Sony A7 II and the GH5 into a Lumix S5 as they are beginning to have good deals here. Then Iā€™d be down to 4 cameras potentially still not fully decided

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Kieran

Well I wrapped up the trip and will be sharing the pics soon, but the camera setup worked out pretty well! Even if I failed slightly in it.

The Olympus C740 didn't end up getting used at first. The clear water spring pool we went to was muddy due to recent rains. So I put it back in the bag and forgot about it.

I was shooting the Samsung TL-500 for the everyday stuff, and special scenes with the 645n and then the Pentax K-3III was really just for astro. But then the batteries for my TL-500 both died half way into the trip (doesn't seem to get great battery life!) and I was stuck with having to carry my Pentax around for documenting family stuff, which wasn't bad but overkill and larger than I wanted. But then I remembered the Olympus! So I busted that out and it ended up being the real star of the show. I took hundreds of pics on it with one set of AAs I brought. Because the camera is only worth $10, I even let my four year old use it which was so fun to see and she took a bunch of neat shots.

So all-in-all it worked out but mostly because at any given time I only had one camera with me. The rest stayed in the car. I would've died carrying all the gear with me in a backpack everywhere I went.

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Happy snappin' šŸ™‚
Quote from James Warner on September 2, 2022, 2:20 am

It's easier for me as I don't have that much gear.

My go to pick up is any of my 3 bodies (K5, K3 or K3-II) and the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.
Yes a focal 50mm can also be an option but it limitates me more. I don't have any 28 or 35mm AF lens so then I don't pick those.

Sometime I have also took my 50-135mm f2.8 but to be honest is a waste of space and I don't often use it when travelling.

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo