Please or Register to create posts and topics.

ICM (intentional camera movement) photography

PreviousPage 4 of 4

I gave it a shot again yesterday. Thought it could be fun to try to give a sense of speed with this super low speed limit sign. πŸ˜†

IMGP7375 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter

What motion did you use I can't think how you could keep the sign in focus?

I am zooming in/out as I take the photo. With a long(ish) shutter speed, I focus on the sign and then hold down the shutter button as I zoom in and out, careful not to move the camera as I do so. I got ~3 shots in 10 that were acceptable this way. Most the camera moved and everything is blurry. πŸ™‚

Quote from JBP on August 4, 2022, 4:14 pm

I am zooming in/out as I take the photo. With a long(ish) shutter speed, I focus on the sign and then hold down the shutter button as I zoom in and out, careful not to move the camera as I do so. I got ~3 shots in 10 that were acceptable this way. Most the camera moved and everything is blurry. πŸ™‚

That's clever! I'd like to try that with a compact camera or something with electronic zoom that way you wouldn't camera shake however I don't think there are any models that would allow you to change the focal length mid exposure.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from Lim on August 4, 2022, 4:46 pm
Quote from JBP on August 4, 2022, 4:14 pm

That's clever! I'd like to try that with a compact camera or something with electronic zoom that way you wouldn't camera shake however I don't think there are any models that would allow you to change the focal length mid exposure.

That would be neat! I think you're right though about them locking out the zoom mid exposure. A tripod would help with camera shake, but I didn't have one on me so I went with the "spray and pray" technique.

Quote from JBP on August 4, 2022, 2:07 pm

I gave it a shot again yesterday. Thought it could be fun to try to give a sense of speed with this super low speed limit sign. πŸ˜†

This came out so cool! And you did that hand held??

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from ahoyhere on August 5, 2022, 10:27 pm
Quote from JBP on August 4, 2022, 2:07 pm

This came out so cool! And you did that hand held??

Thank you! Yes πŸ™‚

@beau-carpenter that's a lovely idea, turned out really nice with the gradient!

The sunsets haven't been conducive for me lately but I got in some ICM time this past week on a road trip… all of these are "car cm," which is REALLY fun and I recommend trying it!

I can't decide which of these I prefer, the super perfect smooth one, or the one with the sign:

Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP
PreviousPage 4 of 4