Please or Register to create posts and topics.

ICM (intentional camera movement) photography

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next
Quote from JBP on July 20, 2022, 2:23 pm

Thank you! Honestly I am surprised by your feedback. I was trying to get those beautiful landscape ICM shots you do and failed utterly, so literally went to a dark corner in the field to do this in sadness. haha Then I went home and did the same in another dark corner at a curtain. 😅

<After-school special voice> That's the beauty of sharing! We all have different strengths!

LOL @ the sad corner of the field. But it turned out great!

Also, to be totally transparent… I haven't posted the 100s of shots I threw away. Hundreds and hundreds. I usually take 50+ ICM images each time I try it. Most of them look lackluster at best, at worst… well… see attached for one that makes me feel physically ill to look at. (I aggressively deleted most of the bad ones but kept this one for its unique awfulness!)

I just take the shot, hold it very briefly to get a defined image, then spin it in one direction until the exposure is over (at most a 180 degree spin). I'm holding it with both hands like normal, out in front of me as if I were using live view. I can try it again and see if I'm missing anything in my description, or if I'm even able to do it again. 😛

Oh, that's a cool technique, to hold it briefly still then rotate. What kind of shutter speed are you using?

Even the shower curtain looks nifty.

Uploaded files:
  • 20220705-SDIM1359.jpg
Quote from ahoyhere on July 20, 2022, 9:11 pm
Quote from JBP on July 20, 2022, 2:23 pm

Thank you! Honestly I am surprised by your feedback. I was trying to get those beautiful landscape ICM shots you do and failed utterly, so literally went to a dark corner in the field to do this in sadness. haha Then I went home and did the same in another dark corner at a curtain. 😅

<After-school special voice> That's the beauty of sharing! We all have different strengths!

LOL @ the sad corner of the field. But it turned out great!

Also, to be totally transparent… I haven't posted the 100s of shots I threw away. Hundreds and hundreds. I usually take 50+ ICM images each time I try it. Most of them look lackluster at best, at worst… well… see attached for one that makes me feel physically ill to look at. (I aggressively deleted most of the bad ones but kept this one for its unique awfulness!)

I just take the shot, hold it very briefly to get a defined image, then spin it in one direction until the exposure is over (at most a 180 degree spin). I'm holding it with both hands like normal, out in front of me as if I were using live view. I can try it again and see if I'm missing anything in my description, or if I'm even able to do it again. 😛

Oh, that's a cool technique, to hold it briefly still then rotate. What kind of shutter speed are you using?

Even the shower curtain looks nifty.

Thank you! Yes, I need to keep trying and taking more shots. I had trouble getting the shutter speed slow enough (the woods was 1/2s and the other one was 0.7s) so I need to dig up that ND filter next time.

Is it awful, though? I quite like it! I like that it looks like an ICM photo in two stripes across the frame, and then a normal photo in the other two. Cool 😎

Quote from JBP on July 20, 2022, 10:50 pm

Thank you! Yes, I need to keep trying and taking more shots. I had trouble getting the shutter speed slow enough (the woods was 1/2s and the other one was 0.7s) so I need to dig up that ND filter next time.

I need to buy one myself! Maybe I should get the Sandmarc one that @james-warner-b reviewed. James, are you still using yours?

Is it awful, though? I quite like it! I like that it looks like an ICM photo in two stripes across the frame, and then a normal photo in the other two. Cool 😎

Guess we really are all different! It literally makes me feel motion sick, haha.

I tried your circle technique today, it's quite tricky. Nothing really turned out circle-like even when I managed to make the whole circle!

Did have a happy little accident tho:

And I like how this one turned out:

Out of literally 150 shots. 🙂 There are just a couple others I like. ICM is a messy art!

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBP
Quote from ahoyhere on July 22, 2022, 3:49 am
Quote from JBP on July 20, 2022, 10:50 pm

I need to buy one myself! Maybe I should get the Sandmarc one that @james-warner-b reviewed. James, are you still using yours?

Guess we really are all different! It literally makes me feel motion sick, haha.

I tried your circle technique today, it's quite tricky. Nothing really turned out circle-like even when I managed to make the whole circle!

Did have a happy little accident tho:

And I like how this one turned out:

Out of literally 150 shots. 🙂 There are just a couple others I like. ICM is a messy art!

Wow, great results! Totally worth the effort, I would say. That first one is so magical looking. It reminds me of a plasma plume from the sun. So cool. 😎

ahoyhere has reacted to this post.
ahoyhere

I gave it another shot today. I got a few that at least look artistic and not...I dunno, like I threw the camera with the shutter open. 😛

IMGP6023 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6025 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6041 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

IMGP6039 by JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

Beau Carpenter, SpruceBruce and kcphotogeek have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterSpruceBrucekcphotogeek
Quote from JBP on July 23, 2022, 1:54 am

I gave it another shot today. I got a few that at least look artistic and not...I dunno, like I threw the camera with the shutter open. 😛

Yesssssss I love where you're going with this!

IMGP6025 by @N00/" title="https://www.flickr.com/photos/31851089@N00/">JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

This one is my favorite.

I took a quick whack with ACR "Optics" Distortion if I could straighten the curve a bit to get you more the effect you said you liked from my sunsets… it sorta worked. A little more finesse definitely could deliver a set of pretty straight lines!

It's looking pretty magical.

My straight lines were SOOC but took 50+ shots to get, after doing it for weeks! Although it was much easier to get straight lines out of the Olympus E-400, for some weird reason, and much harder/nigh impossible to get it to do wavey superposition. I really think it may vary per camera/shutter setup.

Uploaded files:
  • 52234755221_8bda0f724a_o.jpg
Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP
Quote from ahoyhere on July 23, 2022, 11:04 pm
Quote from JBP on July 23, 2022, 1:54 am

Yesssssss I love where you're going with this!

IMGP6025 by @N00/" title="https://www.flickr.com/photos/31851089@N00/">JBP_Mobusaki, on Flickr

This one is my favorite.

I took a quick whack with ACR "Optics" Distortion if I could straighten the curve a bit to get you more the effect you said you liked from my sunsets… it sorta worked. A little more finesse definitely could deliver a set of pretty straight lines!

It's looking pretty magical.

My straight lines were SOOC but took 50+ shots to get, after doing it for weeks! Although it was much easier to get straight lines out of the Olympus E-400, for some weird reason, and much harder/nigh impossible to get it to do wavey superposition. I really think it may vary per camera/shutter setup.

Thank you! I didn't think of adjusting the distortion... that's something I bet I could do in Lightroom even.

Found one that I find pretty interesting!

Uploaded files:
  • DSCF1402.jpg
James Warner and JBP have reacted to this post.
James WarnerJBP
Quote from Beau Carpenter on July 25, 2022, 1:16 am

I'd be thrilled with that shot, excellent!

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Quote from Beau Carpenter on July 25, 2022, 1:16 am

Really beautiful, @beau-carpenter.

The contrast of the perfectly straight trunk with all the motion around the leaves is fabulous!

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next