Please or Register to create posts and topics.

ICM (intentional camera movement) photography

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Quote from Beau Carpenter on July 13, 2022, 7:08 pm
Quote from kcphotogeek on July 13, 2022, 3:44 pm
Wow, this is really cool and frankly breaking my brain 🤯 try as I might, I can't quite imagine the orientation of the camera or motion to achieve this shot.

My best guess is camera mounted pointup up and then pan the tripod head?

yep start the camera tilted left or right have a 2secs shutter delay then just before the shutter opens start moving the tripod head back towards its horizontal position and beyond on the opposite side I’d recommend shutter speed of around 2/3secs.

Like James said it’s basically a light trail where the camera moves instead of the lights. Balance on the axis is important for best results use a compact camera, I used a GR III for this one but have also done this with a canon super zoom the powershot 720hs and got good results

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Kieran
Quote from James Warner on July 13, 2022, 5:06 pm

@jbp don't be making me homesick with Guinness pictures :0

I enjoy a good ICM shot too, the below was taken with a GR III using a fluid head tripod. The subject was a night time cityscape. Took a few tries experimenting with exposure etc, I must try this on other scenes some time

Very cool! Like light painting, except the lights didn't move, the camera did.

I took a stab at it this morning. Was having trouble coming up with a good idea so resorted to trying what I did years ago - tall trees pan up or down 😛

Next time I'm bringing an ND so I can try more complicated movements.

I was trying something like this today and couldn't seem to get a result I liked. Was this a single vertical motion? Or moving up and down?

Quote from Beau Carpenter on July 14, 2022, 8:38 pm
Quote from James Warner on July 13, 2022, 5:06 pm

@jbp don't be making me homesick with Guinness pictures :0

I enjoy a good ICM shot too, the below was taken with a GR III using a fluid head tripod. The subject was a night time cityscape. Took a few tries experimenting with exposure etc, I must try this on other scenes some time

Very cool! Like light painting, except the lights didn't move, the camera did.

I took a stab at it this morning. Was having trouble coming up with a good idea so resorted to trying what I did years ago - tall trees pan up or down 😛

Next time I'm bringing an ND so I can try more complicated movements.

I was trying something like this today and couldn't seem to get a result I liked. Was this a single vertical motion? Or moving up and down?

Just a single movement, and I started the movement before I hit the shutter. The faster you move the more dramatic, especially since my shutter speed was still decently fast at 0.3", but moving faster introduced more side to side jitter which wasn't what I was going for.

I was also doing a panning up movement versus a straight vertical movement. So the plane was changing. Would be interesting to experiment with the effects of both, but I assume it was more dramatic with the pan since the relative change of something so far away and moving your camera vertically only a few inches might not be as blurry.

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Happy snappin' 🙂

Very cool shots in here, everyone. I've tried this after seeing these posts and have nothing worth sharing yet... it's hard! I have to try to use an ND filter like @james-warner-b said. That should help a lot. Also a tripod would be helpful.

Quote from JBP on July 15, 2022, 11:30 am

I have to try to use an ND filter like @james-warner-b said. That should help a lot. Also a tripod would be helpful.

You can't really do it on a tripod! The movements for ICM are generally way bigger than that.  If you were zooming, or doing a semi-circle like @kcphotogeek, maybe.

@kcphotogeek, wow, haven't seen one like that before… it's gorgeous. Have you thought about rotating it to be a landscape?

@james-warner-b, love your tree shots… both, but especially the second one, it feels like the perfect spring meadow.

I definitely have thought about selling prints, if only to get a tax deduction on equipment, ha ha. Wonder if it would be worth the hassle. So far, I've just sent files to friends who made a charitable donation in "barter," and let them send it off to a printing/framing service.

@beau-carpenter, very peaceful and serene, I like it!

Back on my BS, as the kids say 😂

Still no ND filter. Still spot-removing by hand. I'm a terrible procrastinator for any photo equipment that isn't exciting. Does anyone have a favorite?

James Warner, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceJBP
Quote from ahoyhere on July 17, 2022, 1:51 am

Back on my BS, as the kids say 😂

Still no ND filter. Still spot-removing by hand. I'm a terrible procrastinator for any photo equipment that isn't exciting. Does anyone have a favorite?

Love it! Reminds me to try my hand at this again. This is the best I've gotten so far... I was trying to do something like what you've done in a field but had trouble with overexposing. So I found a dark sport near the woods and got this. It's kinda neat in a trippy way, I guess. I will keep practicing. 🙂

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP3796.jpg
James Warner, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Quote from JBP on July 19, 2022, 4:38 pm

Love it! Reminds me to try my hand at this again. This is the best I've gotten so far... I was trying to do something like what you've done in a field but had trouble with overexposing. So I found a dark sport near the woods and got this. It's kinda neat in a trippy way, I guess. I will keep practicing. 🙂

Wow, JBP! That’s spectacular. It’s like you distilled essence of forest in a blender. It seems 3D, somehow.

How do you get such good circles?

I’m in an ICM photo group on FB and don’t think I’ve seen anyone else do it like you do.

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from ahoyhere on July 20, 2022, 5:57 am
Quote from JBP on July 19, 2022, 4:38 pm

Wow, JBP! That’s spectacular. It’s like you distilled essence of forest in a blender. It seems 3D, somehow.

How do you get such good circles?

I’m in an ICM photo group on FB and don’t think I’ve seen anyone else do it like you do.

Thank you! Honestly I am surprised by your feedback. I was trying to get those beautiful landscape ICM shots you do and failed utterly, so literally went to a dark corner in the field to do this in sadness. haha Then I went home and did the same in another dark corner at a curtain. 😅

I just take the shot, hold it very briefly to get a defined image, then spin it in one direction until the exposure is over (at most a 180 degree spin). I'm holding it with both hands like normal, out in front of me as if I were using live view. I can try it again and see if I'm missing anything in my description, or if I'm even able to do it again. 😛

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP3843.jpg
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next