Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I owe you one

I work as an animator and was window shopping for cameras for a long time in search of something that could film better animation reference than my phone. Learned a lot watching people who cover modern cameras, and knowing I could buy a camera cheaper if I already had or could adapt a lens I bought a super sweet Ricoh Film Camera from an estate sale that came with a seemingly solid lens (it is).
Turns out old Ricoh cameras used Pentax' Mount and while researching that I found the snappiness YouTube channel- in my opinion, home to the most competent Pentax coverage on the platform. In watching your channel I was blown away by the value of older cameras and immediately switched gears from "what's the fanciest thing I can buy on my budget" to "How old can I go and still get the job done?"
Turns out my mom used Pentax as we were growing up so we had a good chunk of k-mount glass, and I ended up buying an excellent used K-70 in January (not the oldest thing necessarily, but 24mp and a great better deal than the Sony alphas). It's been awesome taking pictures with, and though I'm still absolutely in my photographic infancy I'm enjoy myself immensely!
So thank you for the help, And it's time I posted some stuff here

agentlossing, Tristan Carlos and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
agentlossingTristan CarlosdenniscrommettJBP

Welcome to the forums. I'm looking forward to your posts!

Cheers,

T

Pierson Mason has reacted to this post.
Pierson Mason
Quote from Pierson Mason on April 2, 2022, 11:17 pm

I work as an animator and was window shopping for cameras for a long time in search of something that could film better animation reference than my phone. Learned a lot watching people who cover modern cameras, and knowing I could buy a camera cheaper if I already had or could adapt a lens I bought a super sweet Ricoh Film Camera from an estate sale that came with a seemingly solid lens (it is).
Turns out old Ricoh cameras used Pentax' Mount and while researching that I found the snappiness YouTube channel- in my opinion, home to the most competent Pentax coverage on the platform. In watching your channel I was blown away by the value of older cameras and immediately switched gears from "what's the fanciest thing I can buy on my budget" to "How old can I go and still get the job done?"
Turns out my mom used Pentax as we were growing up so we had a good chunk of k-mount glass, and I ended up buying an excellent used K-70 in January (not the oldest thing necessarily, but 24mp and a great better deal than the Sony alphas). It's been awesome taking pictures with, and though I'm still absolutely in my photographic infancy I'm enjoy myself immensely!

Welcome to the forum! What a cool story that is. I love that you discovered you have a bunch of Pentax glass at hand and embarked on your photography journey that way. And what you said, "How old can I go and still get the job done?" is such a great outlook. I look forward to seeing your photography.

denniscrommett has reacted to this post.
denniscrommett

Awesome, welcome! Reusing old glass is one of my many joys in photography 🙂 Lots of fun in experimenting and learning there. Feel free to share some pictures as you go.

The K-70 is a great little camera. I have still to make a video about it, but I owned one for a week or so and was really impressed. I recommended it as a first DSLR to family members and they've been enjoying it too.

Pierson Mason has reacted to this post.
Pierson Mason
Happy snappin' 🙂

I really like Lee Iveson's vidoes on the K-70, Helped dissuade me from being worried about the marginally "poorer" performance of the Pentax' autofocus.
One reason I went with it too was the pixel shift option, which I haven't used too much, but it's impressive when you need still detail. Still plan to use it for Auto-building 3d models from photos!
Since having it I've done mostly telephoto stuff as my mom had an old sigma 70-300 which served well (Until I broke it ;v;) And I just the other day bought a Sigma 50-500 off Craigslist (Which I promise not to break) in an indescribably mint condition for only $475 and a SMC FA 50mm 1.4 for only $100 and those two have been awesome! Seller was super nice too, was selling stuff for his aunt who collected camera gear but barely used em.
Not sure if he'd ship but he's got other good deals still:
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pho/d/seattle-pentax-10-battery-grip-sigma-mm/7445764936.html
looks like the lenses I bought are still listed tho, uh oh

Quote from Pierson Mason on April 2, 2022, 11:17 pm

Great story 😀

My social media: https://linktr.ee/F1photo