Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I need some help.

I had my Ks2 cleaned @ a camera shop in Utah yesterday morning because the sensor was dirty. Now, all pictures are extremely over exposed unless I stop down all the way, & set my shutter to 1/6000. Even then, they are over exposed. I have checked all other settings. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Jason Szafranski

What mode are you shooting in and what lens? It almost sounds like the lens isn't actually stopping down. Or, the shutter is messed up (which I guess could have happened when they cleaned, hopefully not!).

sirfranski has reacted to this post.
sirfranski
Happy snappin' 🙂

maybe checking the exif data can help you find out exactly what's messing up the exposure

sirfranski

It occurs with every lense I have. Wide open, they are all over exposed. Pics indoors with no natural light are ok. It seems like the sensor is now extremely sensitive to natural light. If I stop down all the way, set lowest iso, and max out shutter speed, I can get an ok exposure.

Never had this issue until sensor was cleaned. Coincidence, or sensor damage? Going to contact Ricoh I guess.

Regarding the exif data, I'm still a novice. How would I do that?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

Jason Szafranski
Quote from sirfranski on May 18, 2021, 5:11 pm

It occurs with every lense I have. Wide open, they are all over exposed. Pics indoors with no natural light are ok. It seems like the sensor is now extremely sensitive to natural light. If I stop down all the way, set lowest iso, and max out shutter speed, I can get an ok exposure.

Never had this issue until sensor was cleaned. Coincidence, or sensor damage? Going to contact Ricoh I guess.

Regarding the exif data, I'm still a novice. How would I do that?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it!

This is very strange. I wouldn't write it off as a coincidence quite yet, seems awfully intriguing that it occured right after a sensor cleaning, even if I can't figure out the connection totally. I assume you traveled onto a different spot and can't take it back where you got it cleaned and at least ask.

As far as exif goes, this is baked into your cameras files as they are saved. A jpeg will have a lot more. So take a shot when set to jpeg, pull it over to your computer. If you're on a PC it's a right click, click properties and then details. On a Mac it's different. Here's a link that explains. I'm not sure if you'll get anything useful out of it but it's a good idea to check anyway and see!

https://www.howtogeek.com/289712/how-to-see-an-images-exif-data-in-windows-and-macos/

sirfranski
Happy snappin' 🙂

So, I just ordered a K70 body to be shipped to an Amazon locker. I really have to have a camera for this journey. I will send in the Ks2 & see how much it would be to fix it. I got the K70 because:

1. It's really the camera I wanted first.

2. I'm already in the Pentax system w/4 lenses.

3. No learning curve to speak of with camera operations.

4. I couldn't afford the K1. Lol.

Is there another Pentax APSC that you would recommend instead? I can return the K70 for refund if need be. Thanx again. J.

Jason Szafranski
Quote from sirfranski on May 21, 2021, 11:15 pm

So, I just ordered a K70 body to be shipped to an Amazon locker. I really have to have a camera for this journey. I will send in the Ks2 & see how much it would be to fix it. I got the K70 because:

1. It's really the camera I wanted first.

2. I'm already in the Pentax system w/4 lenses.

3. No learning curve to speak of with camera operations.

4. I couldn't afford the K1. Lol.

Is there another Pentax APSC that you would recommend instead? I can return the K70 for refund if need be. Thanx again. J.

The K-70 is a really nice camera. I think for the price you can't beat the IQ and feature set. The K3 on the used market is a close price and offers a very different experience. I've never used a KS2 so I don't know how similar it'll be feel wise, but the image quality should be a step up. And you get a nice flip out screen for low angle shots 🙂

sirfranski
Happy snappin' 🙂

It kinda seems like the big brother to the Ks2. It had tilting screen as well. 70 seems to have more MP, higher ISO, pixel shift, & better astro-photography features. Like the Ks2 on caffeine.

Will look @ K3. Anything about it that is strikingly different?

Thanks. J.

Jason Szafranski
Quote from sirfranski on May 22, 2021, 8:14 pm

Will look @ K3. Anything about it that is strikingly different?

The biggest thing I noticed was the body. The K3 ergonomically was better in my opinion. Felt more premium and rugged. Though the K70 didn't feel bad, just not as good.

The K70 spec wise has some nice upgrades. New processor. I think new sensor. Better high ISO. The articulating screen is nice to have. Wifi, if that's helpful.

K3 still has some more flagship features. More AF points/better AF (really only noticeable in demanding situations I would imagine). More frames per second, higher max shutter speed, more battery life, dual card slots.

Unless you really really needed some of those flagship features the K70 will suite you very well. I used one for a week and thought the image quality was fantastic, and that's really the most important part.

sirfranski
Happy snappin' 🙂