Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I made the jump to the dark side

It's been a while since my last post here because I've been extremely busy in the last months. Anyways, there I was minding my own business... slowly but surely saving up for  a K-1 mark III if it ever comes out. but then.

Oops.. I made the jump to DMF!

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP3266.JPG
Justin Tung, SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
Justin TungSpruceBruceEckyH

Congratulations and have fun with that GFX50S!

E.

Tristan Carlos has reacted to this post.
Tristan Carlos
Veni, vidi, serravi.

Thanks! Still don't know what to do with 51MP but I guess I'll start with adapting vintage 35mm lenses. 🙂

Very cool! Any lenses yet? I can't remember who on YT I was listening to, but they were saying there's lists out there of all these unexpected lenses you can adapt to it, since it is a smaller MF sensor then there's a number of 35mm lenses that should work too. Can't wait to see what you get!

Dang! Just minding your own business too! XD

Happy snappin' 🙂

haha yeah I don't usually buy something this "expensive" but I got it for a bargain. I was looking for the original A7S to be honest but this popped up out of nowhere just a tad bit over 2x the market value of the A7S. I figured I would probably never look for another "upgrade" if I already got the biggest sensor camera I could afford. Plus, the GFX has 35mm mode anyway so it's like hitting two birds with one stone. Good on Fuji for thinking ahead.

I bought a PK-GFX adapter and so far, here are my findings:

1. 43mm limited covers the sensor with mild vignette
  2. Takumar 55mm 1.8 covers the full sensor
  3. FA* 85mm 1.4 covers the full sensor
  4. F 50mm 1.4 vignettes (covers 1:1 aspect ration)
  5. F 50mm 1.7 covers the full sensor
  6. K 50mm 1.4 vignettes (covers 1:1 aspect ratio)
  7. ST 50mm 1.4 8e vignettes (covers 1:1 aspect ratio)

There's an excel list somewhere where other people post their findings. I need to look it up again but it I saw it and there's a whole bunch of 35mm lenses that cover the whole sensor. For modern lenses, the best bet are Canon EF lenses. Viltrox made an AF adapter too!

My favourite at the a moment is the 43mm limited. Eventhough it has a tiny bit of vignette, the sharpness makes up for it. Funnily enough, the GFX 50R + 43mm limited is lighter than the K-1 and the 43mm.

Worth mentioning is that ginormous 3.69 million dot EVF and, of course, the film simulations.

James Warner, SpruceBruce and EckyH have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceEckyH

those film sims are to be envied... Might be a good way to keep file size down by not shooting raw.

Lens-wise, have you looked into tilt-shift lenses? They normally have a larger image circle due to having to do movements. They do tend to be pricier than other 35mm lenses generally though.

I know for a fact that the 150mm f/4 for the mamiya 645 system is pretty cheap, like under 100$. It's a really good lens too!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency

Woah! The 43mm + GFX sounds like such a cool combo! Can I see a pic with it on?

I always thought I'd go to the Pentax 645 system when I want to play with medium format. And maybe I still will (645d is CCD, much cheaper) but now you're giving me some really cool ideas with adapting lenses to mirrorless MF!

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce
Happy snappin' 🙂

Personally, I never thought I'd make the jump to DMF. But. I have and love mamiya 645 lenses, so I figured I'd just get a speed booster with an adapter for the Sony!

I'll miss out on the resolution for sure, and all the advantages that a larger sensor provides such as tonal shifts, shadow detail, etc. But in return I'll be able to have IBIS and sensor stabilization. Also, GFX and Pentax both have a crop factor of about 0.79x, whereas the speed booster gets me to 0.7x. Still not true 645 crop of 0.625, but closer!

the problem, though is that they cost like $800+ which is more than I've actually spent on any piece of photographic gear haha.

James Warner and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruce
Ever striving for minimum competency