Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I had my Pentax modified to monochrome

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next
Quote from EckyH on August 5, 2022, 10:03 pm

If you work with "Monochrome2DNG" or could try it, then the following would be really helpful: If you could read out a DNG file with exiftool before and after the conversion, redirect the output into two different text files - then I could analyse that and work out an exiftool based approach...

E.

Yeah, I can do that! Let me write it down on my todos and next time I have a few minutes at the computer. That's a great idea.

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂
Your shipment will be delivered today between
12:15 - 13:45 hours

Now I have a weak imagination about the nerves of parents-to-be when they are awaiting birth...

E.

Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on August 13, 2022, 8:15 am
Your shipment will be delivered today between
12:15 - 13:45 hours

Now I have a weak imagination about the nerves of parents-to-be when they are awaiting birth...

E.

Lol! I know the feeling

Happy snappin' 🙂

The deed is done.

The camera arrived few hours ago - all went well and with wavering hands I took the first test images.

Just wow.

Excellent work by Mr. Grybauskas in Vilnius, Lithuania. I can highly recommend his service. As @james-warner-b wrote: he works absolutely professional.

Now I have to learn how to take photographs with the new capabilities of the K-5II and at least important as that: how to post process the images from the camera.

At the moment I'm a bit frightened about my own excitement. 😉

E.

Uploaded files:
  • 20220813_ramonoses_0001.jpg
Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP
Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on August 13, 2022, 2:14 pm

The deed is done.

The camera arrived few hours ago - all went well and with wavering hands I took the first test images.

Just wow.

Excellent work by Mr. Grybauskas in Vilnius, Lithuania. I can highly recommend his service. As @james-warner-b wrote: he works absolutely professional.

Now I have to learn how to take photographs with the new capabilities of the K-5II and at least important as that: how to post process the images from the camera.

At the moment I'm a bit frightened about my own excitement. 😉

E.

I never was able to get exiftools to install correctly - did you figure out a good way to edit the exif data, or a program to use? Excited to see more results 🙂

Happy snappin' 🙂

Sorry to read that.
How does Monochrome2DNG work? Does it change the original image file? Does it produce a new DNG file?
However, if you could send me an image file prior to the processing with Monochrome2DNG and the resulting file, I could read out them and compare the EXIF data. Then we know how to parameterise Exiftool and are able to batch process any amount of images.

For post processing I use darktable. Fortunately in darktable it is possible to define presets in relevant modules for preprocessing the images automatically if they met several criteria, eg. camera model.
Fortunately my choice for the conversion was a K-5II and not a K-5IIs and Pentax fortunately decided to write the exact model name into the image files.
So I defined the following presets: in the module "demosaic" the "demosaicing method" to "passthrough (monochrome)" and in the module "input color profile" the "input profile" to "Lab".

But the processing prior to darktable or similar software is much more flexible, so it would be very cool if we could achieve that.

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.

Sure, here's a link to the two files before and after. It exports a new DNG, but I don't actually know how much is changed about it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18Sht6sIsJ3yzMMB7XWqYWNBM2wqqUqRl?usp=sharing

I'll be curious what you find out so I can recommend to other people that ask me. Good sleuthing!

EckyH has reacted to this post.
EckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

Thank you for the files.

After the first investigation I have two results.

First: the "before and after" comparison is only useful when the input file for Monochrome2DNG is also a RAW file. There are a lot more lines of data in the JPEG out of camera (247 lines) than in the converted file (97). The JPEG file already went through a demosaicing/debayering process in the camera, so there is nothing left to do in that department for a RAW processing software like darktable, RawTherapee or commercial alternatives like Lightroom.

Second: Monochrome2DNG removes the "Lens Type" tag from the EXIF data. So automatic lens correction inside the RAW processing software doesn't work.

Conclusion: The idea of comparing the EXIF data of an input file and of an output file from Monochrome2DNG still seems to be valid for me. To get useful results it would be nice if you could share a RAW file (to be safe I think DNG should be the right file format) from the camera and the output file from Monochrome2DNG. My number-one suspect for the interpretion whether a RAW file is monochrome or chromatic is the "Photometric Interpretation" EXIF tag. But I might be wrong...

Many thanks for your support.

E.

Edit: Your camera has the time zone of Helsinki, Finland. 😀

Veni, vidi, serravi.
Quote from EckyH on August 17, 2022, 5:12 pm

Thank you for the files.

After the first investigation I have two results.

First: the "before and after" comparison is only useful when the input file for Monochrome2DNG is also a RAW file. There are a lot more lines of data in the JPEG out of camera (247 lines) than in the converted file (97). The JPEG file already went through a demosaicing/debayering process in the camera, so there is nothing left to do in that department for a RAW processing software like darktable, RawTherapee or commercial alternatives like Lightroom.

Second: Monochrome2DNG removes the "Lens Type" tag from the EXIF data. So automatic lens correction inside the RAW processing software doesn't work.

Conclusion: The idea of comparing the EXIF data of an input file and of an output file from Monochrome2DNG still seems to be valid for me. To get useful results it would be nice if you could share a RAW file (to be safe I think DNG should be the right file format) from the camera and the output file from Monochrome2DNG. My number-one suspect for the interpretion whether a RAW file is monochrome or chromatic is the "Photometric Interpretation" EXIF tag. But I might be wrong...

Many thanks for your support.

E.

Edit: Your camera has the time zone of Helsinki, Finland. 😀

Uhg, my bad. That was just me fat fingering my keyboard and uploading the file next to the DNG. Off by one error 🙂 I fixed it, you can use the same link.

Haha @ the timezone! I never fix the time or any metadata on my cameras, it's pretty bad actually. After a year or two I finally removed the photographers name from my Pentax K-1 files so it would stop showing up as taken by someone else on sites like Flickr... xD

JBP and EckyH have reacted to this post.
JBPEckyH
Happy snappin' 🙂

That looks much better, thank you very much.

Now I've found a second tag which may affect the handling: "CFA Pattern".
I'll do some tests tomorrow to find out whether it's a single tag or a combination...

E.

Veni, vidi, serravi.
PreviousPage 4 of 5Next