Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to Create a Lens Club Thread

Hello all!

I got this idea from other forums that utilize threads to share photos and commentary from similar lenses.

If you want to start one simply post a new thread (if one for your lens category hasnโ€™t been created already) and be sure to name clearly so others know what itโ€™s about. Share some images to get it kicked off.

Examples of lens clubs:

By your favorite focal length: 50mm, 28mm, 85mm etc

By your favorite lens series: Pentax-M, etc

By era: 1990 lenses, etc

Whatever else you want to share! Make it broad enough to include others who arenโ€™t shooting the exact same lens, but specific enough that it doesnโ€™t just include every lens out there.

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruceGawad
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚

Great idea! I'm thinking about a 35mm club and maybe a prime lens club.

Do you think "Prime Lenses" would be too general?

Maybe "Telephoto Prime" would be better?

SpruceBruce and JBP have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceJBP
Quote from Snappy on September 15, 2021, 6:43 pm

Hello all!

I got this idea from other forums that utilize threads to share photos and commentary from similar lenses.

If you want to start one simply post a new thread (if one for your lens category hasnโ€™t been created already) and be sure to name clearly so others know what itโ€™s about. Share some images to get it kicked off.

Examples of lens clubs:

Whatever else you want to share! Make it broad enough to include others who arenโ€™t shooting the exact same lens, but specific enough that it doesnโ€™t just include every lens out there.

So basically the Pentax forum lens club layout basically? I'd think that's a great idea.ย  I know I'm very active poster and think it'd be great to share shots with certain lenses I rotate into my daily shooting.

I'm definitely interested in this, but I'm not sure if it'll be something I'll be able to contribute a lot to. First of all, I'm still sort of in the stage of trying to figure out what different focal lengths and their visual effects on perspective and composition, so getting to a stage of knowing and being able to celebrate the qualities of a lens is still something I'm working towards, rather than being like"Oh this lens does that!"

Beau Carpenter has reacted to this post.
Beau Carpenter
Ever striving for minimum competency
Quote from Beau Carpenter on September 16, 2021, 12:53 pm

35mm would be perfect. I actually don't own any 35mm lenses right now... I just realized that. Used to be my favorite focal length for a prime, but then I got my 43mm and it was close enough and I liked the lens so much that I sold off my 35's. But if you start it I'll share some old favorites from that focal length ๐Ÿ™‚

Prime could be too general, but telephoto prime I think would work, however you define that. 135mm and above or whatever. That's kind of a rare area for primes these days. I don't see many people shooting telephoto primes (with the exception of extra long wildlife lenses, I guess.

Quote from SpruceBruce on September 16, 2021, 1:20 pm
Quote from Snappy on September 15, 2021, 6:43 pm

Hello all!

Examples of lens clubs:

So basically the Pentax forum lens club layout basically? I'd think that's a great idea.ย  I know I'm very active poster and think it'd be great to share shots with certain lenses I rotate into my daily shooting.

Yeah, exactly. That's my favorite part of Pentax forum. I check that and the For Sale section and that's about it these days ๐Ÿ˜€ A lot of drama over there for such a chill brand...

Quote from Justin Tung on September 16, 2021, 4:02 pm

I'm definitely interested in this, but I'm not sure if it'll be something I'll be able to contribute a lot to. First of all, I'm still sort of in the stage of trying to figure out what different focal lengths and their visual effects on perspective and composition, so getting to a stage of knowing and being able to celebrate the qualities of a lens is still something I'm working towards, rather than being like"Oh this lens does that!"

Well you can share whatever you happen to get. There's no sign-up list or commitment to be in a "club" ๐Ÿ˜„ Like I'll post some to a 35mm thread when Beau starts one, but I don't even own a 35mm lens anymore. I go through phases of what I shoot most often as well.

Justin Tung, Beau Carpenter and SpruceBruce have reacted to this post.
Justin TungBeau CarpenterSpruceBruce
Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚

A 35mm club would be great. I have recently come to appreciate that focal length.

Zoom lenses can be a tough category for this. My favorite lens is the Pentax 18-135mm. It transformed my K10D and really put new life into my photography. But to my knowledge that's kind of an odd focal range.

Maybe something like "the 18-150ish lens club" would be good... then super zooms (~18-250+) could have their own (there are some good ones, that would be a fun club), and the lower range (~16-70ish) could have their own as well.

Quote from JBP on January 14, 2022, 1:56 am

A 35mm club would be great. I have recently come to appreciate that focal length.

Zoom lenses can be a tough category for this. My favorite lens is the Pentax 18-135mm. It transformed my K10D and really put new life into my photography. But to my knowledge that's kind of an odd focal range.

Maybe something like "the 18-150ish lens club" would be good... then super zooms (~18-250+) could have their own (there are some good ones, that would be a fun club), and the lower range (~16-70ish) could have their own as well.

If you don't beat me to it I'll start a zoom thread. The 18-135 was the lens I used the most on the K-3 and some of my favorite shots were with it. It's fun collecting lenses and playing with them, but at the end of the day you can't beat the versatility, portability, practicality of the long zoom lens ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy snappin' ๐Ÿ™‚