Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hi All

Hi, I'm Steve and I'm an addict ... to photography. I started out when I was assigned to the USAF Photo School at Lowrey AFB in January 1962. The first cameras were WWI 8x10 folding field cameras from 1917-18. Back then the standard camera was the Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5. A lot has changed since then. My first SLR was a Pentax SV in 1965 and my first DSLR is a Pentax K10D from 2007. Today I shoot with a K-1 II, K-3 III, K-3, and yes, the K10D. I have way more lenses to mention here. I have also tried Canons and Nikons along the way but never felt the need to change. I am currently playing around with a Nikon D810 and Nikkor 28-300mm. The D810 I find a bit clunky to use but the lens is very sharp at all focal lengths.

Hello and welcome Steve! As you may know already I am quite big into Pentax myself. My Pentax collection has shrunk over the years to make room for other toys, but it's still my largest system by far. 

I'm excited to see some of your work and hear some of your thoughts about photography!

Happy snappin' 🙂

Hey there Steve! You've got a great Pentax kit! I'm a K-1 II shooter myself, along with a couple of film SLRs (Z-1p and MX) and a GRIIIx. I had the K-3 III (Monochrome) for an extended trial early this year and loved it, the K-3 III hardware is probably the nicest APS-C DSLR ever, in my opinion. And that viewfinder!

I ramble on sometimes about snap photography, photographic philosophy and equipment! Ye be warned.

Welcome Steve. Also a Pentax shooter. I just sold all my APS-C pentax bodies/lenses as well as some full frame lenses. Mainly because I was starting to feel like my collection of un-used gear was getting out-of-hand. It felt liberating but sad at the same time. Now I'm left with my K-1 ii and a handful of lenses.

With less gear, I felt I could finally ask the question "should I jump ship to another system"? Something that was too overwhelming a proposition before. I spent countless nights looking at Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji lenses and bodies online. Then I went to my local camera store and held a few in hand. At the end of it all, I decided my K-1 ii wasn't going anywhere. I just love my Pentax (both in tangible and in-tangible ways). It was a good exercise to go through.

My only wish is that Pentax would do a refresh on some of their modern glass.

The DFA 15-30 (Lighter with ability to take 100mm filters)

The DFA 24-70 (Lighter and optically updated / improved)

I can live without those updates though. That's just something I wish they'd focus on ( more so than a new K-1 release ).

Welcome to the forum!

Quote from grover on June 6, 2024, 8:05 pm

With less gear, I felt I could finally ask the question "should I jump ship to another system"? Something that was too overwhelming a proposition before. I spent countless nights looking at Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji lenses and bodies online.

I  just last week got my hands on a Nikon Z6. First ever Full Frame Camera. The dynamic range is amazing but damn now i need to think about what lenses ill get. Leica M mount glass is intriguing but has issues with edge smearing on some non leica sensors. For now i shoot mostly with my Pentax M 50mm 1.7.

i will not sell my MFT stuff though, its too good a system for its small size.

Is that even street bro?