Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hello from Indiana!

Hello all!

My name is Jonathan, and I'm a father, husband, teacher, and photographer. In regard to the last, I am a Pentax shooter, using a K-1 for the most part, with a K-5 in reserve (and for my daughters' use). I have a touch of LBA, and so have more than a few lenses, but my main ones are:

• Pentax 150-450mm for birding, long-distance, etc.
  • Tamron 90mm Adaptall-2 52b for portraits, macro-ish
  • Sigma 24-70 DG HSM for wide-angle, low light
  • Pentax D FA 28-105, for whatever in between
  • Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for astrophotography

I have others with which I experiment, but those are my main lenses in use. The 150-450 is probably my most-used lens.

I love the writings posted here, and look forward to y'all's thoughts.

--Jonathan

Tristan Carlos, Beau Carpenter and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Tristan CarlosBeau CarpenterJBPEckyH

Welcome to the forum! Great lens collection you have there. The way it works here is the first person to post gets to have one of your lenses (in exchange for a hearty thank you, of course). I choose the 150-450. Thanks!! 😛

I look forward to seeing your photos and hearing your thoughts as well. 🙂

Jonathan Watson has reacted to this post.
Jonathan Watson

Welcome Jonathan! Haha welcome to the LBA club 🙂

Jonathan Watson has reacted to this post.
Jonathan Watson
Quote from JBP on August 9, 2022, 6:07 pm

Welcome to the forum! Great lens collection you have there. The way it works here is the first person to post gets to have one of your lenses (in exchange for a hearty thank you, of course). I choose the 150-450. Thanks!! 😛

I look forward to seeing your photos and hearing your thoughts as well. 🙂

I KNEW there was a catch. All this coolness by James and you other denizens could not come without a catch. I'll get around to sending that 150-450mm lens. It's free, but shipping and handling is...$1,896.95 or so. 🙂

I look forward to sharing and discussion!

JBP has reacted to this post.
JBP
Quote from Beau Carpenter on August 9, 2022, 7:14 pm

Welcome Jonathan! Haha welcome to the LBA club 🙂

Beau,

Thank you...I think there needs to be a recovery group or something for LBA.

-J.

Beau Carpenter and JBP have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJBP
Quote from Jonathan Watson on August 9, 2022, 5:22 pm

Hello all!

My name is Jonathan, and I'm a father, husband, teacher, and photographer. In regard to the last, I am a Pentax shooter, using a K-1 for the most part, with a K-5 in reserve (and for my daughters' use). I have a touch of LBA, and so have more than a few lenses, but my main ones are:

• Pentax 150-450mm for birding, long-distance, etc.
  • Tamron 90mm Adaptall-2 52b for portraits, macro-ish
  • Sigma 24-70 DG HSM for wide-angle, low light
  • Pentax D FA 28-105, for whatever in between
  • Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 for astrophotography

I have others with which I experiment, but those are my main lenses in use. The 150-450 is probably my most-used lens.

I love the writings posted here, and look forward to y'all's thoughts.

--Jonathan

Welcome! We have a lot in common. Right now I teach online part-time while I work full time as a software developer, but the goal is to get into full-time teaching. And I got kiddos too. You probably already know that 🙂

I think you actually have a good handle on your lenses. My lens collection is out of control. But you have some really solid and practical lenses in that line-up. The 150-450 is one I have debated on purchasing for a long time. I love my DA* 300mm, and have enjoyed it also with the 1.4x teleconverter, but there are times I'd like the versatility of a zoom. Not sure I want the extra weight and bulk of it, and the slightly slower aperture over the DA* 300mm. I've also heard it's faster focusing, so that would be a nice upgrade.

Share some pictures here, and join in on the random photography talk. Anything from obscure gear to technique to photography approaches.

Beau Carpenter and Jonathan Watson have reacted to this post.
Beau CarpenterJonathan Watson
Happy snappin' 🙂