Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Harman Phoenix

Page 1 of 2Next

So it's officially been announced and much as expected is a 200ASA colour film, a brand new emulsion made in the UK.

I've ordered three rolls to give it a go, anyone else planning on trying it out?

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I've got some in my shopping cart at B&H Photo in NYC, but alas they're in the middle of Shabat (it's founded by Jewish people).  It'll be open for ordering tomorrow afternoon.

I'm very excited, it's so cool to see the company with so many famous black and white products, branch out and try to start new R&D with the film.  I've read it's actually 125 ISO film, based on the Grainy Days interview with their R&D team.  

Oddly enough, many people are so negative about the color temps and grain....

Gideon Liddiard Photography has reacted to this post.
Gideon Liddiard Photography

I'll probably try it out eventually. I also think it's really cool. Any new development in the film space is very exciting. 

I like how in all the marketing I've read they don't seem to be overpromising/overselling it. It seems to created really differently than other color films, and that's given it some strong "characteristics" (some would say flaws) like heavy contrast, green casts, strong halations, lots of grain. But they talk about it as being fun or experimental. 

Happy snappin' 🙂

Given the handful of samples I've seen....this is not gonna get money from money. Too saturated. Still, I hope it does well.

Quote from OutspaceKat on December 2, 2023, 4:53 pm

Given the handful of samples I've seen....this is not gonna get money from money. Too saturated. Still, I hope it does well.

I think it's best shot at ISO 100, I've seen samples of it pulled now and it's much much better.

OutspaceKat has reacted to this post.
OutspaceKat
Quote from SpruceBruce on December 6, 2023, 1:19 am
Quote from OutspaceKat on December 2, 2023, 4:53 pm

I think it's best shot at ISO 100, I've seen samples of it pulled now and it's much much better.

I'm excited to see what you end up getting with your rolls! The saturation doesn't bother me, but some of the browny/green tones didn't look great in certain settings. Might just be about figuring out what kinds of scenes suit it best.

OutspaceKat has reacted to this post.
OutspaceKat
Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from SpruceBruce on December 2, 2023, 6:26 am

Oddly enough, many people are so negative about the color temps and grain....

I'm not really bothered by this at all, I recently shot a roll of Glow 400, and that has far from accurate colours (deliberately) and I loved the results.

I think many of the nay-sayers are forgetting it's a brand new formulation, the first colour one in a very long time, and Harman has been totally open about it being (very) experimental. I can't wait for my rolls to arrive (fingers crossed they should be turning up today).

Mine has arrived and the film is an interesting shade of yellow!

Quote from Gideon Liddiard Photography on December 7, 2023, 11:06 am

Mine has arrived and the film is an interesting shade of yellow!

That's so weird to see, lol. I've used some interesting films form China that are straight up purple or blue and it's super odd to me. 

I'm excited to see your results! No rush! xD

Do you develop yourself, or will you be having a lab do it?

Happy snappin' 🙂
Quote from James Warner on December 7, 2023, 2:40 pm

I've used some interesting films form China that are straight up purple or blue and it's super odd to me. 

What were they and were they any good? I found some various repackaged stuff and the word across the board was these are all "crapola".

Page 1 of 2Next